Recent

Author Topic: BobD  (Read 5507 times)

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Re: BobD
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 07:51:27 am »
cool. Have you ever tried replacing the treble with a J-hook and then thread it with a plastic grub? Bet that would catch you some piks. Glad to hear your experimenting. I think your predicament is a normal one for all anglers. Its called a crutch lure. I have one :) You have to beat yourself away from it to develop. What make of spinner is the one in the picture?

Offline BobD

• Old School
    • NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 09:59:13 am »
A crutch lure?   Sounds about right though.

The spinner itself is either hildebrandt or lucky strike.  I keep them all together and really couldn't tell you with any certainty which is which.

I am using a J hook with them.  I'd never get a treble hook through the weeds.  The J hook itself is plenty good at harvesting the weeds.  ::)   But I can certainly put on some plastic grub and give it a try.  That just means I'll need to get back out fishing soon to experiment.  Shucks. 

Thanks Jeff.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 10:18:49 am »
I sure cant wait to hook up with you out there to fish those weedbeds :) Im super excited to get out east.

Offline BobD

• Old School
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 03:42:23 pm »
I can't imagine being excited to go after pickerel and smallmouth after the summer of pike you have been working on.  Now musky I could understand.  :)   However, I'm looking forward to getting a chance to meet you and go out fishing with you.  Should be some good times regardless of what we are after.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 08:36:22 am »
If I can make it your way this fall sometime I would really like to fish for Stripers in the River. High current, ugly weather but some of the biggest stripers in your province are within short paddles as far as I have been reading. Get excited about that :)

Offline BobD

• Old School
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 07:57:36 pm »
Well Jeff, I'm not sure where exactly you are thinking.  However, in the St John there are stripers, muskie and sturgeon, though the best areas for each don't overlap.   Fredericton is one of the few areas you can catch all three, but I wouldn't quite call it a hot spot for them.  In fact I know one spot where you can anchor down and catch all three without moving, as well as pickerel and bass.  [well, truth to be told, I've seen the last 3 in person, seen pictures of a guy standing on the shore at that spot holding a musky, and have heard enough independent 2nd hand stories to believe stripers were caught there.]

Offline BobD

• Old School
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 09:18:12 pm »
Smallmouth Bass
Date: Aug 22, 2010
Lure: spinner with worm

This guy was just barely within the limit (12"), so that means I can take the picture myself.  :)

Actually the river was really low, and the water was crystal clear.  Great for scouting out what the bottom is like in the river.  I'm thinking that can come in handy for when the water rises again.   It also showed a lot of fish in the deeper sections.  I caught this by dangling the hook and worm about an inch in front of his face.    Unfortunately that approach didn't work on it's much bigger momma, who was sitting above a rock only about 5' from this one.

Offline BobD

• Old School
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 11:25:26 pm »
I noticed that somehow I had never put of pictures of these two species, even though I had caught a lot of them and taken pictures.  However they were older than allowed by the rules.  So I went out and made sure I got pictures this past weekend.

fallfish
Date: Sept 12, 2010
Lure: spinner with worm

Offline BobD

• Old School
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 11:28:37 pm »
yellow perch
Date: Sept 11, 2010
Lure: spinner with grub

Tags: