Recent

Author Topic: Wayne  (Read 20073 times)

Offline BobD

• Old School
    • NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
Re: Wayne
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 08:57:20 pm »
That is one heck of a smallmouth!  How big was it?

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 10:51:24 am »
I do think the photo makes it look bigger than it was. I don't know why as most of the photos leave me wondering why the fish look smaller than I thought...

It was quite dark and I just wanted to make sure I got a photo so I don't really know exactly how big but it was a big smallmouth :) Man it put up a fight.

Cripes Wayne. I dont know if I can catch up to you guys on here. lol. You guys are going hardcore!!! This is fantastic :) The pictures your taking are turning out great!
Thanks Jeff but I hope you realize that I finally caught up with YOU lol! I have been out for a month with nasty tendonitis but I'm on the mend now and will hopefully get back in the game more consistently.
Kamloops, BC

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2010, 01:02:04 pm »
Good to see you OUT. didn't know smallies got big in BC
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Mike

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2010, 11:27:30 pm »
Awesome Wayne!
Vaseaux treated you well :) I will love to hear more about your Columbia river trip.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:29:52 pm by Mike »

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2010, 11:38:59 am »
Let's see Mike, to sum up my trip...

The original plan was to have 10 whole days to go fishing where I wanted but that got reduced to 3 (2 fishing) because of problems with my arms and a switch of yaks and the necessary minimum rigging.

Drove down to OK Falls late in the day so I couldn't get a campsite anywhere. Ended up finding an old overgrown road near the river where I discovered swarms of mosquitoes and poison ivy. I tried to sleep but it was almost impossible with the windows rolled as it must have been 35C in the vehicle. By the way, mosquitoes don't need an open window to get inside.
I awoke completely refreshed at 4 a.m., wiped the drool off my face and headed to Skaha Lake. I went there for smallmouth and carp first as I know the lake fairly well. Got lots of smaller smallmouth but I just have no idea where the bigger ones were. As far as the carp go I think I just have to accept that I don't know what I'm doing or that I'm over thinking it. Some kid with a bobber and marshmallow could out-fish me with the carp no problem - just not my thing I guess.

At about 10:30 I packed up to see if I could get a camping spot at Vaseaux and I lucked out. I spent the next few hours going between the lake and the 4Runner to try and cool off and get some rest. You could bake pottery with the heat I swear to God.

Evening finally came and I got out on the lake. I was targeting largemouth and was confused as to why I wasn't getting any attention in the weed beds at all. Later I would talk to a local at the south end that said that they haven't been able to catch the largemouths at all and that they have all but disappeared. If I would have known this, I would have planned a completely different circuit. Eventually I figured out that the smallmouth were on the edges of the weed mats closer to the deeper water and I just enjoyed fishing for awhile. Catching that big smallmouth with the moon rising was definitely the peace I was after.

It was again midnight before I got to sleep and again 4 a.m. found me like a drunk on the front lawn.

I again went after the largemouths thinking that first light would do it for me but nothing of course. Carp are all over the place in that lake by the way. So as morning waned, I thought I better just get some panfish and get out.

Packed up and headed for Castlegar.

Now I don't know if many of you know much about the kootenays, but there's some things you should look out for. The posted photo, although embarrassing for me, should act as a serious reminder of what can happen if you're traveling alone in the back country. I had just stopped to check if the kayak was ok....

By the time I got to Castlegar I can tell you that nothing felt so good as getting in the river. My 91 Toyota doesn't have AC, and I simply felt dirty after bumping in to beer breath on Anarchist Mountain.

After testing out the anchoring arrangement for the yak in the current, I got set up and headed out. I do expect late evening and night fishing for walleye on this body of water but I thought that I would try to go deeper earlier to see if I could extend the fishing window. Now that I have gone to the dark side and switched to a Hobie, this was easy to achieve without anchor and in the current where the water was 50+ feet deep. I could maintain my position in an eddy of water and jig down 50 feet all because of the mirage drive. When the walleye started to chomp just as the sun went behind the mountain tops, it was awesome.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:08:51 pm by Wayne »
Kamloops, BC

Offline Mike

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2010, 12:48:34 pm »
Hahaha nice picture (the hairy guy must have been really upset because of can sizes)  I'm glad you had a good time. Too bad Largemouth did not cooperate, thats little strange for Vaseaux. Columbia river walleye its something I would like to do.
Thanks Wayne!

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 03:12:07 pm »
Date: Aug 15th, 2010
Species: Black Crappie
Tackle: 1/32 jig and worm
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:34:13 am by Wayne »
Kamloops, BC

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2010, 03:15:52 pm »
Date: Aug 16th, 2010
Species:Largemouth Bass
Tackle: Spinnerbait
Kamloops, BC

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2010, 03:17:22 pm »
Date: Aug 16th, 2010
Species: White Sturgeon
Tackle: 7/0 hook with salmon belly
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:35:28 am by Wayne »
Kamloops, BC

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2010, 04:19:14 pm »
Way to Go!!
( About a 9 footer?..how long was the tow ride ? )
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2010, 04:50:36 pm »
OMG!!!! Thats awesome dude!!! Did you get towed around forever? Holy shite dude!!! How long was this thing man??

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2010, 04:54:23 pm »
Is that thing like 250 lbs? How big do you figure! You cant just post this up there and leave people like me hanging around forever to lust and drool!! haha  ::)  :o

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2010, 05:15:13 pm »
Ha ha ha ;D

I'm glad it wasn't 9 feet if you can believe it. 6 1/2 feet was plenty for my first sturgeon period, never mind out of a yak. It was extreme and as much as I tried to prepare, I learned a lot in a short amount of time. I'll go for the 9 footer next time lol!

The battle went on what felt like forever, but when I looked at the timestamps of the video and pictures it was only about an hour... there's no way I would have said that without that info - I would have said an hour and a half.

I fought it while anchored for quite a bit, hoping to tire it out a little before setting myself free as there is a strong current. Then it took me around for quite awhile. The video should be awesome when I put it together as it's a bunch of clips - I only have a still camera so there's limited time on it. There's footage of it jumping the first time and scaring the crap out of me lol!

I wish I had better and more still photos of it, but I forgot my tripod and the shore was mucky. There was a guide yelling at me to set the fish free even though I never took it out of the water. I didn't want him held up too long myself and you would think they would have come over to help I mean geez.

Believe me the fish was VERY healthy still and swam strongly away when I let him go and was treated with the utmost respect. I think I was more tired than him.

It will be awhile before I figure out or get the help to edit my Quick time video together but we have to keep ourselves entertained throughout the winter right :)

Anyway, wish you were there guys - it's a bucket list item so long as you don't kick it while doing it :D

Kamloops, BC

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2010, 05:25:42 pm »
Wayne I am super envious! That is an amazing kayak caught fish. Be proud dude! That is about the nicest caught yak white sturgeon I have seen. And even if someone topped it that experience will be remembered for your life!! Holy cow! I tried twice for these things and got skunked twice. Its on my bucket list still. You are soooo lucky dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to see your footage!! I have to wait all winter??? OMG!!! This is better than a Star Wars episode. lol

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2010, 05:29:26 pm »
oh yah!! Hows that Hobie treating you? lol. Lovin it?

Tags: