Recent

Author Topic: Kodak Playsport - waterproof to 3m  (Read 4476 times)

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
Kodak Playsport - waterproof to 3m
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:55:31 am »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Kodak Playsport isn't due to hit the Canadian Market until mid April but Kodak released it early in the US.  It sells for $149. and shows on the amazon.ca site as $159.  The remote is only $10.99 and it is available now because it is the same one that is used on the Kodak Zi8. I purchased an 8gig card for 39.99 over at best buy in the US. The camera is smaller than my Blackberry Curve.

Check out the Amazon.com reviews and also the cnet reviews.  I went over and purchased it yesterday in Dearborn, Mi and used it at the MMA event at the University of Michigan last night, and got some really good video in a very dark  environment. The Playsport is compatible with PC and Apple, which I understand the Zi8 isn't compatible with Apple. 

I hope to get out in next couple of weeks and give it try on the water.  I ordered the remote and hope to have it by next weekend.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
Re: Kodak Playsport - waterproof to 3m
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 06:11:07 am »
How are you finding the camera?, my choice is between the Playsport and the GoPro, but cannot make up my mind.

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:38:35 am »
I like the playsport, just haven't used it a whole lot.  That is going to change because my 5 year old Kodak digital camera, I used as bait last night at the end of my X-shot rod.  Needless to say I only have a Kodak Playsport now and I think that it will be better for getting pictures anyway.  I have a mount next to my Humminbird and along with the X-Shot all you have to do is turn it on and activate the Playsport with the $10 remote you can purchase and video your fish.  The nice thing is you can clip the picture you want from the video and convert to a jpg file.  Because it is HD the picture quality is very good.  I posted 3 pics from my June 26th report last night.  2 pics are from before I dipped my camera in the lake and the pic of the 17 1/2" SM is a clip that I took off the playsport.

My only beef is that you have to turn the power to the camera on manually.  That would be okay but the software automatically shuts off the power after about 5 minutes.  So where ever you mount the camera, you will have to be able to reach it to turn on when you want to take video.

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:43:19 am »
So the only way to get snap shots is to take video then select a still from that? or can you press the button and take a shot as on a normal camera. The thing that puts me off of the Gopro is that the lens is a fish-eye lens and distorts the picture, I take it the Playsport has a normal type of lens.

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:30:08 am »
yes it is a normal type of lens and you do have the option of taking a snap shot which is still very good quality.  I am finding that getting the best shot of a measured fish is difficult and because of the quality that you can get from a video clip, there is better chance of getting a good shot.

Offline Fish-On

• Ultra Light
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:36:16 pm »
yes it is a normal type of lens and you do have the option of taking a snap shot which is still very good quality.  I am finding that getting the best shot of a measured fish is difficult and because of the quality that you can get from a video clip, there is better chance of getting a good shot.

Thanks for the tip Richard! I purchased the Playsport too and found out later that it did not have a time delay for taking pictures. Now I can just take videos and clip a snapshot into a jpg file.
Nice .........  8) 8) 8)

Offline gl_yak

• Southern Ontario Trip Planning
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Daniel
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:09:14 pm »
I have both cameras; Play-sport and GoPRO. GoPro is great for making video clips and Play-sport gives you more realistic picture because of its standard lens so I have GoPro behind me taking video and Play-sport in front of me for hero pictures using remote control.
Play-sport has lover quality video especially in low light (but it's half price then GoPro)

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 05:44:37 pm »
How have you guys attatched your Playsports to your kayaks, I'm looking at somehow attatching it to my fishfinder and then using the remote to take video and pics.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 01:08:08 pm »
I just bought the newest Playsport model, the Zx5 (I think is the model) for the same price. The Zx3 is now cheaper for clearance. Haven't really used it yet except to mess around with it but will use it extensively on my upcoming trip and will report.

You can adjust the time the camera will stay on for in the Settings function and from memory I think there's an option to never have it turn off.

I'm trying to track down where to get the new Scotty camera mount so I can mount the Playsport in the Scotty base (for rodholder/trolling purpose) between my feet.

Also have a small tripod, a monopod and an X-shot.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Transplant

• CKA TEAM
  • Old School
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 01:53:30 pm »
I believe the standard bolt size for the camera mounts is a #10-20, start with that and build whatever you like for a mount. You should be able to make a little bracket off of existing holes for the fishfinder mount or elsewhere on the kayak.
Truro, Nova Scotia

Ocean Kayak Trident 13
Hobie Outback 'Hank Parker Fishing Edition"

www.nskayakfisher.wordpress.com

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 06:11:12 am »

how do you clip a picture from the video? do you need to use the supplied software or do you use another program?

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
  • If Fishing Is a Sport I'm An Athlete
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 10:54:17 am »
if you have windows 7 there is a snipping tool in the start menu. pause where you want the picture and use the snipping tool..it really easy.If you dont have windows 7 you can do a screen shot and crop the photo out.

windows 7 snipping
Windows 7 in 77 Seconds - Snipping Tool
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:56:26 am by HiredGun »

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 06:52:14 pm »
Nothing available to post yet but I have over 3 hours of video on my Playsport (32 gb card) and no signs of being filled up. I only charged it twice with all of that filming. Good experience so far. The best thing is it's dead easy to use and if I can figure it out, anyone can. So simple it's criminal.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 08:56:24 am »
x2

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
  • If Fishing Is a Sport I'm An Athlete