Recent

Author Topic: Truck Rack  (Read 15177 times)

Offline kayakman

• Seasoned Angler
Truck Rack
« on: February 27, 2010, 03:25:30 pm »
I was just going through my Princess Auto flyer and I noticed a ladder rack for a pick up truck for $90. It says it holds 500lb and has lots of tie down points. I think it might make an awesome kayak rack for really nice price.

Tim

Offline Thumper

• Seasoned Angler
Re: Truck Rack
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 10:03:23 pm »
Saw the same ad & thought the same thing!  The side rails would also keep the yak from sliding off the roof when single-handedly loading it - done that - ouch :'(
Canmore, Alberta
Hobie Nation
P.A. 12
Outback
Adventure Island
Sport

Offline tsquared

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish worship--is it wrong?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:23:41 pm »
I sure wish we had a princess auto in victoria. We miss all their great deals.
T2
Metchosin BC
(Metchosin is a coast Salish word meaning "stinking fish")

Offline walleye1

• Ultra Light
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 07:46:50 pm »
Has anyone tried this truck rack, how did it work?

Offline kayakman

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 12:33:23 am »
I did not buy it because at the time I had a topper on my truck. I found it a struggle to load the kayaks when a I was buy myself up that extra height. I modified a hitch mounted bike rack as bed extender. My 12' boats fit nicely and tie down very quickly. There is a picture in a previous thread. I did see a canoe/kayak hitch mounted bed extender/rack on a truck accessories website but I can't remember the exact site.

Welcome to the site.

Tim

Offline Bassmaster

• Ultra Light
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:40:57 pm »
Hey guys, question for you... If I dont have A rack of any kind on the top of my pick up..is there still a way I will be able to safely secure a kayak to my roof without dropping a ridicoulus amount of $?
 I dont actually have my kayak yet..but it will be either the 11 footer or 13 footer Ocean prowler I would imagine and even though I have a truck bed..its really small(6 foot i think) GMC Sonoma ext cab. What are my options?

Offline kayakman

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 07:19:09 pm »
There is a picture of  the rack I use with a 5.5 ' bed on a different thread called Kayak transport on vehicles. A friend told me about a product called Big Bed that is similar to my rack for about $250.

Tim

Offline Bassmaster

• Ultra Light
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 01:11:30 pm »
Thanks Kayakman,
I found a Extend a Truck product on LL BEAN for $109...seems to be something similar to what your talking about.

Offline brianb

• Greenhorn
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 08:19:12 pm »
I have a 6 ft. box on my Silverado and with the tail gate dwn. and the 14 ft. kayak angled to the corner of the box and strapped in I have no problem, been driving around Prince Rupert all summer with no RCMP stopping me, big red flag hanging from the rudder keeps every one bk. I didn't think it would fit until I tried it.

BrianB

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
  • Jackson Kayak Fishing Team Kokatat Ambassador
    • Fishnhound - Kayak Fishing
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 10:10:47 pm »
Was wondering if this is the rack that was being talked about.I recently ordered 2 of these for my kayaks as the biggest bunos to me is that they are removable(slide out of permanant mounts)so I can still use my Tonneau cover without much hassle.I will send Images when I get them installed.Found them on Ebay Paid $190 for both sides.
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline BKiley

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish with attitude ...
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 10:44:49 pm »
I was looking at those racks from Princess Auto as well because they seem to be a fairly cost efficient option.  I did read an article that stressed that these particular racks absolute ly must be pinned into the stake holes or they will tend to vibrate loose and not be as useful.  I'm not sure how far down the stake holes they go, but that didn't really give me a warm fuzzy so I'm still thinking about it.  I also read a review that said that they were not stable for any amount of weight, even though they're rated for up to 500 lbs. I tend to read a lot of reviews and get gun shy if enough people don't like something.   If you do get them, let us know if they really work well.  I have an F150 with a 6.5 foot bed and with the gate down my Marvel 12 fits pretty good.  I strap it in and poke a load flag on the end and so far I haven't been bothered by the local constabulary at all.
BKiley

OK Trident 13
Native Watercraft Marvel 12
Native Watercraft Marvel 10

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
  • Jackson Kayak Fishing Team Kokatat Ambassador
    • Fishnhound - Kayak Fishing
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 03:14:07 pm »
Sounds like I read a lot of the same reviews.I wasn't to concerned over the wait issue as it is a long way from my kayaks weights(54 and 63 lbs)to max load stated in add(250 lbs)and as far as the pillars go I figured I would have to modify it if their was an issue as pretty much everything I buy now seems to work that way anyway.I will be sure to let you know how they work once installed(and what alterations may have been needed).Maybe throw a couple of pics up as well.
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline Ted Pace

• Seasoned Angler
  • Extreme Chef
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 08:57:26 pm »
I too look at the PA racks. And to really fasten them good, it was recommended that I drill 8 holes in my truck bed. So that stopped that idea.. I ended up paying the extra cash, and getting the Thule truck bed rack... And it couldn't have worked better... Amazing product, worth every penny!

You Hook it, and I can cook it!!!!!
Pro Staff for Salmo Canada
Jackson Cuda
Heritage Redfish

Offline BKiley

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish with attitude ...
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 08:20:14 am »
Ted, do you have any pics of the Thule racks you got?  I'm assuming that they're the adjustable racks that I saw on a truck yesterday ... looks really good.

Bruce Kiley

BKiley

OK Trident 13
Native Watercraft Marvel 12
Native Watercraft Marvel 10

Offline Ted Pace

• Seasoned Angler
  • Extreme Chef
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 08:52:09 am »
Ya I got pics. I'll post u some tonight when I get home. Can't post pics off my phone.

You Hook it, and I can cook it!!!!!
Pro Staff for Salmo Canada
Jackson Cuda
Heritage Redfish

Tags: