Recent

Author Topic: Wave Walk W500, anyone know ANYTHING about these boats?  (Read 19012 times)

Offline Morrissey

• Ultra Light
Re: Wave Walk W500, anyone know ANYTHING about these boats?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 01:24:53 pm »
I would take everything that Jeff McGovern says about the W with a grain of salt.  From everything I've seen that he has written/posted to the web, I get the feeling that he is connected to WaveWalk in some way.  He often narrates his videos as though he is talking to the WW owner/designer whos name is Yoav.  If he is not affiliated with WW, he is certainly one of their biggest fans!
"Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Offline JeffreyMcGovern

• Ultra Light
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 04:37:44 pm »
Since my name was mentioned here in reference to the W500 I had to reply.  I use this boat and since I'm a Floridian it gets loads of water time.  My own web site also talks about the boat www.jeffstacklebox.com  :)
Over the years I've fished loads of paddle craft from Grumman canoes through virtually ever kayak out there.  Wavewalk is a different animal and the boat represents the four wheel drive of fishing kayaks.  Handling is excellent into the wind and tidal flow current which we get here is not an issue.  I've been known to stand for long periods of time drifting wind blown flats casting then once the drift was over paddling back and doing it again.  This boat is an anglers craft and works better for me in that regard than anything else you might care to paddle.  For you sceptics, yes I'm do know and am friends with the owner Yoav.  But my own reputation also is that I never recommend junk to anyone.  If I use a product I'll talk about it, if it fails I don't say much more and move on.  I've been fishing these boats since 2006 and the current W500 model is wonderful to cast a line from.  You can also see posts about my use of the W and my Emmrod fishing gear at www.emmrod.com and www.jaxkayakfishing.com

Offline 12footer

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 05:32:11 pm »
Thanks for the insight on this interesting craft, hearing it from someone who has extensive time with it is always nice.  In your opinion how would this kayak perform on a narrow river?  In other words, how well does it maneuver?

Cheers,

Russ

Offline JeffreyMcGovern

• Ultra Light
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 10:47:09 am »
Hey Russ, the boat handles current well.  We have river flow here but that pales in compared to heavy tidal flow.  The Wavewalk 500 tracks very well and the boat is not all that wide so it tends handle much better than a wide kayak.  The width of the W500 is 28 inches with a taper at both ends of the pontoons.  The unusual thing is the boat is the same front or back so you can swap ends and the performance is the same.  Also because you have a six foot saddle to move around on weight redistributon is simple.  That ability adds a whole new aspect to on the water manuvering.

Offline ralph57

• Greenhorn
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 01:25:36 am »
Hi all. I have just come across this topic about the wavewalk 500 but it ends without gogu392 giving a report . I am interested in buying one but would like to see a few more independent reports.
Cheers Steve

Offline gogu392

• Greenhorn
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 10:32:29 pm »
I got the kayak in August 2010.
I have been using the kayak since then, actually I own two of them now.
Last year I had my father in law visiting us for 4 moths and he loves fishing and I got one for him.
It was not bad because due the loonie/USD conversion is a lot more expensive now than then.
What I can say, very happy with them.
I use the Wavewalk on shallow rivers, small lakes or big lakes (Ontario & Simcoe).
I did use it even at night on Ontario lake 4 km offshore in compete dark.
I once trolled 9 hours non-stop on 22 June 2014 from 9PM to 6AM on a single 12V battery in it.
Beautiful night, I will never forget that night. I had small naps on it, you can lay down on the saddle.
It is a very reliable watercraft. It can be paddled and motorised with electric or gas.
I have a 70Lb / 24V Minnkota on it and 2Hp Honda.
Best fishing trolling possible from this craft.
I can remove the motor and the fish finder in no time from it.
No need for special J rack or cart, very easy to car port.
Light, only 27Kg.
If some one need more details about it feel free to PM me.

Tags: