Recent

Author Topic: Wave Walk W500, anyone know ANYTHING about these boats?  (Read 18489 times)

Offline Morrissey

• Ultra Light
Wave Walk W500, anyone know ANYTHING about these boats?
« on: February 19, 2010, 12:02:24 pm »
Hey all.  In my never-ending-search for the right fishing yak for me (what else am I going to do this winter?) I have come across the Wave Walk W500.  I know that it is far from conventional, but it has caught my eye.  I love the versatility of these things.  You can stand, sit, turn around, sit sideways, jump up and down in them without any problems.  From the videos on their site and on youtube it looks very stable, even in rough water.  They claim that it tracks well and is almost as fast as a conventional yak b/c the middle of the boat is up out of the water.

The problem I am having is finding an INDEPENDENT review of these boats!  Lots of reviews on the web site but they all seem to be written by fanatics of these boats.  I can't seem to find any magazine reviews or reviews on forums that don't seem to parrot the website. 

Anyone ever seen one of these boats in person?  Anyone know about their fit/finish quality?  Anyone know about the comfort of that seat?

Thanks
"Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
Re: Wave Walk W500, anyone know ANYTHING about these boats?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:45:13 pm »
I don't think I'd be able to sit on that seat with no backrest for 8 hours.  The stability looks good and it must track like a missile but would likely need a rudder to manoeuver at all.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline 12footer

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:55:47 pm »
I'm thinking that thing will be a TUB to try to turn, and i'd imagine there would be an unacceptable amount of drag.  I just imagine trying to get back up the Detroit River, against the current and wind.  Not liking the thought of it.  Maybe better for still water though?

Russ

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 06:38:16 pm »
Looks like a slack water boat for sure.. or mount a trolling motor so you aren't killing yourself paddling against the inside hull of the second pontoon.
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline MoKayak

• Greenhorn
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:13:34 pm »
My friend is looking into getting the WaveWalk this April.
Being a skeptic like you guys I was wondering about this too.

I am a newbie and am looking for a Kayak so I can go fishing with my friend. I thought about getting the WaveWalk too but after researching on the web the WaveWalk seems too good to be true as there does not seem to be any negatives to it. Generally you would at least see one negative comment .. IMHO.
Anyway, when my friend get's his WaveWalk and get to see how well he moves and fishing with it, I will give an update.

BTW .. After researching I still haven't decided on a SOT or SIK .. Any advise for a newbie?

MoKayak
Is it fishing season yet, Is it fishing season yet, Is it fishing season yet?

Offline gogu392

• Greenhorn
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 05:09:53 pm »
I am the above mentioned friend and I am planing to buy this in April if recesion does not hit me till then. I never own a kayak.
I strongly belive that a yak is the best way to go fishing. Tons of reasons.
I have lurked on Internet for more than a year in searching a kayak for me and I am locked in this one after all my searches. And belive me, I have spend a lot of time on Internet and reading books and magazines. The concept at first look is weird, but I think is worth.
All the specs are on the owner website. The kayak W 500 weight 59 lb (27 kg) without added accessories. The drag is less than a monohull kayak for same lenght, because of the shape of hulls.
So far I am the only one who wants to buy this here probably and on another forum.
I am not looking for high extreme kayaking in white water, just kayak fishing.
My range of hiting the body waters will be in 100km away from GTA (Toronto).
I am planning to use a Hyundai Elantra 1999 to move it in the begining.

Some people used this in ocean with 2 feet tall waves.
Some used on rivers. Is handling nice the water based on their feedbacks.
I will post me experince as soon I get the hands on it.

Current reviews of this yak are here: http://www.wavewalk.com/Fishing_Kayak_Reviews.html
Regards.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:39:18 am by gogu392 »

Offline Papaloup

• Greenhorn
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 08:57:43 am »
This kayak is quite short, to my mind it won't be that hard to use that "against the current and wind."

but feedback from a kayak enthusiasm would be great.

Offline Don

• Local Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:37:08 am »
I've wanted to demo one and review it but WW's owner Yoav ensures me I'd have to order one from their factory since they don't use dealers... it's nice to control distribution yourself I guess but it's kinda like shooting ones self in the foot when it comes to worldwide recognition of their product.  It's kind of a shame tbh 'cause they look like something I'd enjoy fishing from in calmer water.  I'm not sold on its big water use just yet and it doesn't strike me as something I'd want to paddle a long distance... I'm waiting for gogu392 to bring his to the HKFC event next year so I can test fish it  ;)

I thought about getting the WaveWalk too but after researching on the web the WaveWalk seems too good to be true as there does not seem to be any negatives to it.

I assure you you're not looking hard enough.  Where there's a product, there's a bad review or jaded owner somewhere.  I will agree, there aren't many that come up quickly in a google search so that does speak volumes.

Don

Offline gogu392

• Greenhorn
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:17:26 am »
" I'm waiting for gogu392 to bring his to the HKFC event next year so I can test fish it " / Don.

I am definetly looking to meet with you, the guys with lots of water experince.
Exchangin opinions and trying the yaks will be nice.
What I know from W revies is that padling the Wawewalk is different than paddling a monohull.
And there is a learning curve. In monohull for paddling the torso/upper body is used, the feet are not used. In Wawewalk paddling involve also the legs muscle, the padler ride the sadle and use the legs in stearing the kayak, streing is a combinmation of paddling, leaning and legs push.
I like this feature, to work the entire body.

Regards.

Offline Thumper

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 10:59:49 pm »
You go Gogu!

Good on you for doing your own research and choosing something a little different. Be sure to let us know how you make out with it - interesting concept!
Canmore, Alberta
Hobie Nation
P.A. 12
Outback
Adventure Island
Sport

Offline Don

• Local Pro
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 08:46:34 am »
I guess it can be done after all.

Did you see him bounce it off the roof like he didn't care?  Must've been a skunk day  :D

Offline MoKayak

• Greenhorn
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 09:26:13 am »
I assure you you're not looking hard enough.  Where there's a product, there's a bad review or jaded owner somewhere.  I will agree, there aren't many that come up quickly in a google search so that does speak volumes.

Maybe your right about my research. But after using google to search different web sites (too many to list) and not just WaveWalk and associated sites such as WFishing.net or KayakFishing.us which is basically the same people sending out how great the WaveWalk is, I kind of got discouraged. As I mentioned "too good to be true", but maybe there is no negatives to the WaveWalk at all. I guess I will have to wait until my friend Gogu392 gets his and I get a good look at it (after speaking to him he is going to charge me to try it out  :-\ :'( ).

P.S. This Kayak has been selling since 2004 in US.
Interesting Article (you need to scroll down to the related section)
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2004/09/26/the_dreamer?pg=full

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:30:02 am by MoKayak »

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 11:04:22 am »
Did you try searching through various kayaking forums, they might not get picked up by google, e.g. kayakfishingstuff, austinkayak and a whole bunch of regional ones?  Just an idea.
John

Offline Morrissey

• Ultra Light
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 11:40:56 am »
I too had a similar experience when trying to research these boats.  Found a lot of people parroting the website and had a very hard time finding anyone saying anything but glowing reviews.

I did post on Kayakfishingstuff.com asking about the W and they seemed very unreceptive to the boat.  Basically they didn't like it because it was a dual hull design and that it wasn't a "real" yak.  Unfortunately most of the replies were from folks who had never seen one in person. 

Its really too bad that there is no way to really try before you buy with these boats.  Every other manufacturer seems to have demo days, places you can rent their boats from or at very least a shop where you can go and see one in person.  Its a lot of money to spend based solely on a picture and a write up on a website.
"Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Offline MoKayak

• Greenhorn
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 12:09:25 pm »
Did you try searching through various kayaking forums, they might not get picked up by google, e.g. kayakfishingstuff, austinkayak and a whole bunch of regional ones?  Just an idea.

I checked KayakfishingStuff and three of the regional ones (Jax, Texas and Mich).

Jax - There is one person on this site that supports WaveWalk and he always writes great reviews for them. You can find it everywhere. Google Jeff McGovern.
TexasKayakFisherman - Told one of the forum members to leave as he seems to be spamming how great the WaveWalk is.
MichiganKayakFisherman - No post on WaveWalk

Also checked NCAngler, KayakFishingHole and some others.

I am really looking forward to getting a closer look when Gogu392 gets his.
He has slightly different needs than me as he has younger children that he can use his WaveWalk with.
As my children are in their teens and they don't need there old dad hanging around  :-[ :)
Tried to get them fishing but too much computers when they were young  :-[

Tags: