Recent

Author Topic: Waterproof digital cameras  (Read 10654 times)

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
Re: Waterproof digital cameras
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 10:24:24 pm »
Got mine at Walmart near the Golden Mile in Toronto.  Can't really remember but I think it was about $180 or $190 + tax.  I did upgrade with a bigger memory card for about $30 or so.  Anyhow, for a bit more than half of the Pentax, etc. price it's worked really well for me.  The missus and I use it for our everyday family stuff and other general use also.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 10:28:50 pm »
Oh I didn't realize the Pentax was so much more expensive.  Go with the Fuji...if think the Pentax has better resolution but that only matters if you are blowing up pictures to 8x10s and beyond...or so I have been told.  Photographers please don't jump on me if i am wrong on this part.

Cheers

Derek

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 10:33:51 am »
Red Rocket, I have the same problem with my fuji....even tho it takes great pics, it didn't land a single fish.
Cheers Rick
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline Alan High

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 04:21:11 pm »
I picked up a Pentax Optio W60 with my Aeroplan miles for my daughter with the intention of using it with an Xmount on the bow of the kayak. There is an accessory remote control for $30 which works well (also waterproof). The remote has a hole in it for a wrist strap or lanyard. According to the instructions with the camera, you leave the camera in a stand by mode until the remote is pressed, and it either has a 3 second or no delay, and can be used for stills or video.

As a professional photographer, whatever camera you choose, make sure you can always keep the flash on for each capture. This will add in enough light to brighten or eliminate your shadows and still maintain correct background exposure. There are way too many photos out there with the angler and catch in full shadow, or backlit, or flared out. Adding a bit of fill flash to your photos will improve them greatly.

I'll keep you posted as I get camera and kayak bonded together in the future.

Alan

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2010, 04:32:14 pm »
Thanks for that advice Alan.  Will change the settings on my camera and see if there is a difference

Cheers

Derek

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 07:05:49 pm »
going to check this cam out Alan. Thanks, I need a new one with a good remote.

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2010, 08:49:41 pm »
We have the Pentax Optio, non-water proof camera and love it.  We used to have the Pentax Panoramic and it took great pics until my brother dropped it into the Atlantic when we were touring Perce Rock in Que.  The remote feture was very handy back then

Cheers

Derek

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 06:53:19 pm »
going to check this cam out Alan. Thanks, I need a new one with a good remote.

Jeff, I took a look at some of the newer cameras available and came across the Sony DSC-TX5

When you put it on self timer you can select a self portrait mode. Now get ready for this.... it waits for you to quit messin' around with what you're doing and for you to look back at the camera. Then it counts down and takes a series of 5 pictures if you have it set on burst. You don't even need a finger free to push a remote with this. I've been testing it on the yak and like I said, it seems that so long as you're moving around with your fish and aren't posed that it will wait - longer than 10 seconds if that's what you need.

The image and video quality from this little camera is shocking. It's waterproof to 3 meters and shockproof to 5 ft.

Was on sale at Future Shop for $269 so I got it.... guilt. I'm not saying buy it as I haven't had the time with it but so far I'm blown away.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:55:08 pm by Wayne »
Kamloops, BC

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 10:46:38 am »
I try to keep track of waterproof cameras.  All you really need to do is google best waterproof camera, Fuji usually comes out on bottom in IQ, but it has a great price point so it has a lot of value and does well.  The Canon (less portable) was rated the highest.  We've had non-waterproof Canon's before, they take incredible pictures.  I have a pentax optio for 3 years, I really like it (the only other option at the time was Olympus and the IQ accepted as being the weaker of the two -neither being as good as a non-waterproof camera at half the cost).  The three biggest pluses of this camera are it's 5X zoom, incredible macro and slimness.  There seems to be around 10 on the market now, just pick a couple of cameras and google A vs B.    Whatever camera you choose, buy a float for it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:52:43 am by Rock Bass »
John

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 08:25:14 pm »
Got the FUJI XP10 under $200.00 in Sept.
X-shot ( Tripod ) hole at side ( should be in middle).
Haven't posted a HD vid from it yet.
I use a sock as a case..keep it in a chest pocket..I'll get floating strap for it .
That Sony sounds cool Wayne ( 5 shoots once activated )
Here's another FUJI pic
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae142/brentlepine/DSCF0113.jpg
That's a golden walleye ( 18" ).
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Alan High

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 01:01:50 pm »
Hi,
Olympus make a nice waterproof camera, I owned a couple back in the bad old days of film. This model in particular looks like something that Future Shop has either brought in as an exclusive, or bought out the remaining stock of. You can go to the Olympus website and see the current "Tough" series of cameras. As far as functions go, the one you are looking at sounds just fine.

A couple things to keep in mind with point and shoots are:

-many have a signifigant time delay between when you press the shutter and when image capture actually occurs. The more the camera costs the faster it captures.
-if you are using the self-timer, does the camera select and lock on the focus point when you start the timer or when the camera fires? If you are using this on an Xshot and lean forward to press the shutter release, you don't want the camera locking the focus on your arm that was 8 inches away instead of focusing on you back in your seat a few seconds later.
-what is the minimum focus? Can you hold the camera at arms length and get your body in focus?
-how wide is "wide angle". If you are holding the camera at arm's length pointing back to you, the wider the lens angle means you will see more of you and the fish you are attempting to control with your free hand
-can you have the flash on for all image capture? On most cameras the lash only activates when it is dark, but plenty of images can be improved greatly by kicking in a little extra light into the shadows. This is called "Fill Flash" or daytime flash. Some cameras will have this feature, others won't. This one feature makes a huge difference in how your photos look.

Hope that helps,

Alan

Offline lostndazed

• Greenhorn
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 05:19:17 pm »
I received a Fuji XP as a birthday present and although it's not the camera I would have purchased for myself I'm generally happy with it.  My granddaughter had a ball with it in the pool and took some pretty good shots.   I have to agree with the other poster who commented on the small buttons.  I don't have big hands but it usually takes me a couple of pokes to turn the camera on.

You can't beat the price and it does everything it says it does.  It's small enough to slip into a shirt pocket.  One other drawback is the camera mount isn't in the middle so attached to X-shot it's not balanced.  If your budget is limited this is a great buy and if you watch for sales you can get it even cheaper. Toys R Us had them on sale in July for $139

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 11:52:39 pm »
For what it is worth I have had two Olympus Stylus Tough cameras, and although I like the ruggedness of the cameras, I am always disappointed with the image quality.  After a bunch of research, and talking to some others that have one, I thought my next purchase would definitely be a Pentax camera like the Optio W80.  The new Sony DSC-TX5 sounds very interesting.  I shoot Sony DSLR's and am always amazed at the image quality.  The fact that you can get a point and shoot with the specs the DSC-TX5 has, weatherproofing, and a Zeiss lens for under $300 has made me rethink things.

Looks like I will have another Olympus for sale soon.
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Tags: