Recent

Author Topic: Waterproof digital cameras  (Read 10806 times)

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Re: Waterproof digital cameras
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 04:45:11 pm »
does it have a remote? Have you thrown it under water at all? Does it fog up?

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 01:54:01 pm »
I haven't thrown it in the water and don't intend to.  It's supposed to be waterproof to 3 metres but all I want is for it to be splash proof and waterproof if it falls in the water by accident (I  put a floating strap on it).  It does not have a remote but the 10 sec. shutter delay is only 2 clicks and is very user friendly.  A more expensive model will likely have more bells and whistles but this should do me and I should know more about it's yakfishing suitablility once I've had it out a few times.  Stay tuned.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 07:52:56 pm »
Cant wait to see some pics of you in your new quest Don. Have you made the maiden voyage yet? Hows the rudder system on that bad boy?

Offline JeffreyMcGovern

• Ultra Light
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 08:34:58 pm »
I've been using a 1030SW since they came out.  Thousands of photos later from kayak fishing and work throughout the US it is a winner.  Mine has been dunked in salt and fresh water, dropped, banged around, and covered in mud, it still works great and shoots wonderful shots.  The camera just flat rocks!.  A friend of mine just bought one of the new Tough models with 12mp and it is even better.

www.jeffstacklebox.com

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 09:06:27 pm »
i completely agree. I have the 850 but it has no remote :( only downfall. and when dealing with big fish alone it is tough to get in position with the 10 sec timer.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 11:22:19 pm »
Yeah, Jeff.  Maiden voyage yesterday sans fishing gear.  Easter Sunday was the first ice free day on Cooks Bay (L. Simcoe) and the day the lottery winner picked for ice out.  Getting used to an SOT but it paddles really nice and feels fast, but maybe that's just my superior conditioning.  :o  I'm not going to add any accessories for a bit til I figure out how to avoid my usual f**kups.  I'm thinking right now that I might head out from Cherry Beach on Saturday and either test the Spit or swing around to the islands (ask your dad, Robin, if he remembers last year's venture).  Anyhow, the weather's been fantastic so far but is bound to change which is not a problem.  It's just great to get out comfortably so early in the year.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline k4l3

• Seasoned Angler
  • Prowler 13 Angler
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 02:55:51 pm »
Yeah, Jeff.  Maiden voyage yesterday sans fishing gear.  Easter Sunday was the first ice free day on Cooks Bay (L. Simcoe) and the day the lottery winner picked for ice out.  Getting used to an SOT but it paddles really nice and feels fast, but maybe that's just my superior conditioning.  :o  I'm not going to add any accessories for a bit til I figure out how to avoid my usual f**kups.  I'm thinking right now that I might head out from Cherry Beach on Saturday and either test the Spit or swing around to the islands (ask your dad, Robin, if he remembers last year's venture).  Anyhow, the weather's been fantastic so far but is bound to change which is not a problem.  It's just great to get out comfortably so early in the year.

I was just launching as his dad was beaching back at the shore and walk past me...  Didn't know what happen until I got out there with you guys.
Prowler 13 Angler
Downtown Toronto...

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 10:27:08 pm »
lol. Well. He hasnt paddled since outside of the safety of a tandem at OKFC last year. His gut tells the story of his activity level. ha. His brothers and I still bug him about how he flipped his kayak with stabalizers on it. Its a tough feat.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 09:54:43 am »
I suspect taking the dog along might have had something to do with it.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 01:57:59 pm »
Im not sure Don. do you lose your balance or have a hard wim with weight distribution as you get older?? ha

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 02:12:44 pm »
I wouldn't know since I stopped getting older a few years ago.  Everyone else is catching up to me now.  I even get asked for ID in the pubs again.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 03:10:43 pm »
bumping this thread to get some up to date info on a waterproof camera.
i have a nice camera that im really not willing to take out in my  yak...although i have
i want a waterproof one, that can take some licks/bangs etc.
and i dont want to pay an arm and a leg.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »
6 months and hundreds of photos later I'll give the Fuji an A+ - with the caveat "for how I use it".  I'm a point and shoot, record the moment, kind of photographer and do very little artistic stuff.  It works great with the X-Shot extender but for some reason it didn't help me catch any more fish.  :(

A full recommendation from me as a yakfishing tool.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 07:58:22 pm »
Yep thats the one.  Pentax make a good little one too.

Cheers

Derek

Tags: