Recent

Author Topic: Waterproof digital cameras  (Read 10658 times)

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
Waterproof digital cameras
« on: January 09, 2010, 01:45:38 pm »
My 8 year old Canon digital camera (non-waterproof) bit the dust a few days ago and I want to buy a new waterproof model specifically for kayak fishing.  I know there are 3 or 4 different models out there but don't know who makes them.  It seems to me there's one Japanese model quite a bit cheaper than the others ($170 or so??).  I'd be very interested to hear from you guys about your experiences with them and what you'd recommend.  Comments?

On the same topic, is there such a thing as a waterproof digital camera with a wireless remote shutter trigger?  How about an accessory that does this?

All advice is welcome.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline kiwi

• Local Pro
Re: Waterproof digital cameras
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:31:34 pm »
Don,t get a go-pro as mine and my room mates leaked, quality in poor but you can take 20min video.

I have a Olympus stylus. water proof to 3m, takes very nice photos and is simple enough to use. battery is small and don't last all that great in the cold.
 Regards Kiwi

Offline Papaloup

• Greenhorn
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 01:57:29 pm »
I have an olympus stylus 10w30s (or something like that... anyway) the stylus have laid in dirty water inside my kayak, got flooded by tide on a beach will fishing from shore...

I'm hard with my material did I say that?

I friend of mine (not a fisherman at all...) have the new canon waterproof point and shoot and like it. I've seen his picture taken from tropical water and it's cool.

Damn, a few week ago I was thinking I've lost my olympus so I bought Olympus Stylus 10.0MP Digital Camera With Case (TOUGH 6000) - Camouflage for 200$. I did find back my 10w30s so I was planning returning the unopenned box but... now price raise... of 100$ more. I may consider sell it on ebay if it goes for that price :P

Seriously I recommand Olympus Stylus suite. If I loose mine, I'll bought an other one. (this dont mean that other waterproof camera are not good it's just I like it!).

Note: to see picture sample use Flickr, you'll have thousands of picture taken with any camera. Easy to get an idea.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 05:52:54 pm »
sad to say it but the Olympus does not offer a remote accessory. The one flaw in an incredible camera. I use it and love it but no remote.

Offline Luna01

• Greenhorn
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 02:24:26 am »
Yeah, Olympus is the good product.  Here is the link to Olympus waterproof digital camera: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp?section=stylustough
6 rules to be happy:
Free your heart from hatred; Free your mind from worries; Live simply; Expect less; Give more & always have me as Ur Friend.
Waterproof Digital Camera Cases || Digital SLR Cameras Buying Guide || Photo Travel Review

Offline Papaloup

• Greenhorn
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:13:29 am »
sad to say it but the Olympus does not offer a remote accessory. The one flaw in an incredible camera. I use it and love it but no remote.

It does'nt?
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Remote-Control-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005105N

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 05:48:33 pm »
This is fantastic Papaloup :) I stand corrected. This product was not in existence middle of last season when I looked. Im getting it :) woo. thanks for pointing out my mistake :)
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_archived_accessories.asp?id=1173&ct=48
Get the Olympus cams they are the best.

Offline kiwi

• Local Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 10:37:52 pm »
I gotta get one of those. Thanks

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 10:57:22 am »
Can anyone give a product review for the Fujifilm waterproof model?  Price is only $179.95 (+ tax, of course) and it's the smallest and lightest of the waterproof sub-compact, point-and-shoot models, as well.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline spiny

• Greenhorn
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 02:43:49 am »
Hi from the UK

I've been using the fuji for a while now and it sits in my "gadget vest". It's been dunked in the North Sea and dropped on the shore and still works fine. I use it for boat shots and have taken "in water" shots with it. The lens is tiny and will always be the limiting factor despite lots of pixels being available.  The zoom range is limited , so it tends not to be useful for those shots of objects in the distance , but if you want a camera to take shots of your fish and general panoramic stuff it's great , considering the low price. It has a digital zoom , but in truth you lose out on quality and I don't use it for that reason.

The buttons are smallish and whilst this isn't a problem with bare hands , they are a bit fiddly to operate with neoprene gloves, but in fairness everything is hard work in neoprene gloves. The lens protection glass does get a bit "smeggy" in use  (as it's not recessed) , so I find I'm often wiping it to get a clear shot.

If you're looking for a small camera to stick in a pocket, that's waterproof at a competitive price, to take catch shots, then I'd totally recommend it. I'm very happy with mine and no regrets on the purchase.

All the best
Neil

Offline Papaloup

• Greenhorn
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 10:11:14 pm »
Is it compatible with your camera?

Just did some googling to answer that... did'nt have personnal experience with that.

Offline Cru-Fish

• Ultra Light
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 12:26:03 pm »
I have a Pentax Optio W60 which I highly reccommend. Not sure about the remote sutter option though...

Here are some pics...

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 11:27:50 am »
I was on the net trying to find this remote and discovered it does not work for the Tough Series of Olympus Stylus. Again super disappointed. All summer will be streching and hitting the dumb 8 sec timer and trying to get in position. arrgghh...Maybe I need an excuse to treat myself to something with a timer. man. this blows

Offline stroover

• Streamside Pro Staff; Hammond River Angling Association Vice President.
  • Old School
  • If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!
    • JC Cormier's Fishing Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 07:18:16 pm »
Glad you posted this today, Jeff! I'm in the market for a waterproof cam too. I'm torn between getting that Olympus or the Fuji. Anybody got some new input, or anybody new with their two cents worth?

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 10:48:03 am »
I bought the Fuji about a month ago - couldn't pass up the price.  I've taken a few test shots and they've turned out great, but I'm a point and shoot guy not an artist like JBen.  Unless a problem I don't yet know about pops up I see no reason not to recommend it.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Tags: