Recent

Author Topic: My New yak  (Read 1129 times)

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
My New yak
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:59:10 pm »
Well I don't quite have it but here are some pictures of my yak.

It's gently used model that spent the season as a rental.  I am happy with the deal that I got, and am just waiting to sort out some accessories and such.  I hope to have it home this weekend.

Cheers

Derek

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Re: My New yak
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:22:20 am »
sweet!!! Let the mods begin!

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 12:03:32 am »
I picked up my Utlimate Tandem 14.5 today.  I am thrilled to say the least.  Once I got past the gently used aspect of the purchase the fun began.

Here are the minor hull scratches

Breeze to get up on the Santafe.  After wrestling with an 85 pound Mad River this fall by myself this 73 ponder was a breeze

I don't like this single strap. i'd prefer the y strap (they didn't have any left) So once I find the blasted rear hitch point I will use this strap as a stern tie down.

Muskoka Outfitters has an excellent setup you can try before you buy right from the rear of the store.  Launched the boat took it for a spin stood up in the beast, and fell in love.

Struggled with the bow seat and it made the ride home very trying as the seat vibrated the roof of the Santafe the whole way home.

Boat needed some love when I got it home.  Cleaned it up for show and tell.

This is the Tandem model.  Bow Paddlers foot pegs are smaller.  My big girl is gonna have a blast from this spot

The cozy lounge chair of the Ultimate has no competetion.  Native is not selling well in our neck of the woods and Muskoka Outfitters will be the exclusive retailers in Ontario, so my research tells me.

This add on seat will be where my middle one stays in sight.  I may try other configurations for this set up.  It will also be the place where I tie down my youngest when he can stay in the boat

The Captain's Chair.  None other than me will sit in this perch.  I have already marked the spot with my scent.

Need to do some reorganizing in the garage.Space is tight

Got a sweet paddle.  The Aqua Bound Sting Ray carbon handle.  Got a sweet deal as well.

Picked up other accessories, but going to wait for the installs so I can fgure out the space.  I am going to use both the Solo and Tandem configurations so it is going to be a challenge with what I do.

Can't wait till the spring when i can get it wet and slimed for the first time.

Cheers

Derek

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 05:38:28 am »
looks like it'll bring ya some nice years of fun.  nice choice

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 07:06:45 am »
Really????!!!!  That's not good.  I also have the bow tie down strap and will be figuring a place to tie down the stern.  That should negate any of that worry????No????

Cheers

Derek

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:38:36 am »
Should always have bow and stern line. no matter what. I havent had my roof rack rip off yet but it almost happened once in Sask with heavy gusts driving through the praries. I had a little bluff spot I pulled over for a couple hours. Must have been 80 kms or more. Man that sucked. I think if your roof rack rips off the amount of tension your bow and stern line has would slack. possibly then the hook you are using to connect under your bumper or on your frame would come off and you might have nothing holding the yak on. That would really suck.

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:58:18 pm »
Hyundai made big mistake with the set up in this aspect.  First the roof rack only uses a portion of the rails.  And I cannot find a hook to attach the stern to.  I agree jeff, and will find something solid to connect the stern of my boat.  The roof rack coming off though, extreme situations and likely overloaded would be my guess.  They list the limit as being 115 lbs.

Cheers

Derek

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 01:07:25 am »
Worst case drill a hole in the frame, tie the rope to a hook.
With one yak on there like you have it you would have to be heavy loaded and in an accident to have the roof rack rip off I think. But if you get j brackets then it can easily happen in windy conditions. I agree though with the fact that you have to really mess up to have the roof fly off :)

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 03:19:10 pm »
I have the same problem with my Santa Fe, what I do is just run the stern line back to the cross member of the roof bar, holds it tight in place  ;D
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 07:26:35 am »
Will have to giver a try

Thanks

Derek

Offline Manny

• Local Pro
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 03:43:27 pm »
Nice ride man.  Natives look like awesome yaks, have fun man.

Manny

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 11:02:17 pm »
So Muskoka sent me the Solo conversion parts that they had left out of the purchase.  Now I really want the Winter to ge on with it so I can take my ride out.

Cheers

Derek

Tags: