Recent

Author Topic: What to buy???  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Ultra Light
What to buy???
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:08:19 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this sport and just trying to decide what to buy. I have done some web surfing and from what I see I like the Malibu Kayak or the Wilderness. Can anyone let me know what is the best model for the type of fishing I do. I live in Sudbury with many small to medium size lakes. I mostly fish on these bodies of water for Bass, Pickeral and Pike but I also enjoy fishing on Georgian Bay for Rainbow trout. Even though I do not fish far from a shoreling on the big water, the water can get up quick if the weather changes as anyone who fishes these waters knows. I typically go out when the weather is good so I try to avoid rough seas. All opions are helpful, good or not so good

Thanks

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
Re: What to buy???
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 04:16:11 pm »
I can reccomend to you the Ocean Kayak Trident 13 or 11, the 11 may better suit your needs. These kayaks are very well appointed and have loads of storage space for your tackle and other and other bits. Weight wise you can lift them onto the car without breaking your back. these kayaks suit any conditions and are at home on a rough sea or flat carm lake. if you do go down this route and need any rigging tips I have plenty of pics to help you on your way.

Michael  ;D
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Ultra Light
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:24:43 pm »
Thanks Michael,

Never thought of the Ocean's but I will have a look at those when I'm in Toronto this week

Offline Quiks

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:25:58 pm »
you could go for a closed kayak 12-15 feet in lenth. since we are in canada!
From your Kayak fisherman!

http://www.kayakquebec.ca

Offline 12footer

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 01:42:32 am »
I have two Wilderness Systems products, a tarpon 120 and a Pungo 120.  I have nothing but praise for both boats and would recomend either one of them.

Cheers,

Russ

Offline NSYakfisher

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:58:11 am »
I have a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 120 with rudder .... they are an excellent boat at a responable cost.... also very easy to rig up for fishing.

I also have a Old Town that I like alot.... like you I fish for about the same species and water types you do.

Scotia Yakfisher

Offline joco

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 07:19:05 pm »
  ALL kayak is good.

just not for everybody.

meening you have to try to see.

we all have deferent body shape.

i feel great in my natives ultmimate like no others...i love it a lot...but its not a kayak for big open water..meening big lake like ontario lake but here i can go on lake that as a mile accross and have no prob at all.

i got  tarpon 14 to i like it but its the kayak i use the less....i like to be dry and i love space to move around.

this is why i like a lot my pamlico 135 t now a rig solo kayak...i love that rig.

the best way to see for you its to try them before you buy.

i did baught other kayak before that i was not comfy in it. so did not use it.

if you get a kayak and you dont feel ok in it you wont use it mutch and this you dont want.

so wait and get one that you try and love. thats my 2 cents

joco...................and do your homework a lot off researche.

Offline stroover

• Streamside Pro Staff; Hammond River Angling Association Vice President.
  • Old School
  • If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!
    • JC Cormier's Fishing Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 10:04:53 am »
I've tried about eight different yaks before deciding on a Wilderness System Tarpon 120. (I weigh 165, so if I weighted closer to 200 lbs, I'd have gone with the 140).

Like yourself, I fish mostly inland lakes and inshore rivers in New Brunswick, but I also go in the Northumberland Strait on the Atlantic Ocean, and it handles fantasticly! Like joco said, everybody is defferent. I would be quick to tell you to buy one like mine, but you almost have to try several out to see what suits you the best.

Offline Cru-Fish

• Ultra Light
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 12:42:24 pm »
One more vote for the Ocean Prowler 13... that's what I've been using all year for much the same species as you.

I was also considering the Malibu Kayaks, but got such a deal on the Trident that I couldn't turn it down.

Like the others have said, it
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:45:17 pm by Cru-Fish »

Offline 12footer

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 01:26:05 pm »
I think it is also worth noting that if you decide on a sit on top you need to budget in appropriate clothing as part of the cost, especially considering your location.  With the appropriate clothing there are no wet rides:) 

Russ

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 03:26:28 pm »
Heres some pics for you - Trident 13, Prowler 13, Emotion Stealth, Emotion Grandslam

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:31:48 pm by Axor »
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 05:23:14 pm »
Nice collection indeed... I still want to get a SOT for the hot summer days.. okay not the sunburn hot summer days but you know what I mean Gary..LOL.. I just would like to have the option of being able to stand or flip my legs over etc.. would definitely slow a drift down in a lake if the wind was at your back... I would need the rudder though..
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 05:42:47 pm »
Thanks Guys

When at anchor spend most of the time sitting side saddle, I wish we had as much fishable inland water as you do - not sure about the cold thou, 3" of snow here and the country grinds to a halt.
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline Cru-Fish

• Ultra Light
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 11:22:05 pm »
Nice group there Axor...

Which to you tend to use more? Storage and rudder aside, are there any other differences between the Prowler and the Trident?

My Prowler is the same as yours (only red) - I've been looking at the Trident with envious eyes for quite a while now!!

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 12:26:01 pm »
Well yes we may have more freshwater to fish, but we also have way more than 3" of snow in the winter months..lol.. if that is all it takes to bring it to it's knees then you would be calling for a national emergency if you got what Canada gets.. some parts way more than others... I still have grass showing in the back yard today.. mild and drizzly.. should snow anyday though..lol. Out West they were reporting -40 and that was without the windchill.. some places even colder.. too cold to snow though..lol
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Tags: