Recent

Author Topic: motorized kayaks, what do you think?  (Read 3780 times)

Offline joco

• Seasoned Angler
Re: motorized kayaks, what do you think?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 06:56:40 pm »
  for me i dont care if they do alowd motor or not in derbies.

actualy they should be a class apart for hobi to..because they are big deference betwen a paddling kayak and a peddling kayak...legs like many time stronger then arms..so deferent way to move that yak should be in a deferent category to..pure and simple.

off course they wont do that .why.becasue in the usa more then 1/2 the poeple there own hobies and hobies is a lot of time a sponsord etc.

c.mon those derby are for good cause so why stop people entering a derby because they have a motor.

plus motor dont catch fish the guy in the yak those..he as to do the time on water like all others and fish like all others.

you all saw  some big fish have been caught in front off the dock in that bay...dont have to go far..so motor or pddling not mutch advantage there. other then less fatigue mabe.

i think all those tread about his in all site is absurd..

i use to do bass derby wit a small boat and some other had 250hp..wow they were going like 7 time my speed and they were on there spot like 45min before me...that is not just this is a lot lot worst..but its ok.

motorize kayak are not fast....you can all paddle as fast and a lot off time faster a lot off those hobi peddling faster then motoriz kayaks..

like i said if there a category for motor they should be one for hobi and the same for native prople..they all defernt way to push that kayak.

joco
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:01:38 pm by joco »

Offline joco

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 07:09:10 pm »
i got a few kayak and yes i will put or build 2 kit for mines..i wont be on it all the time but if i feel i want to troll for musky or just want to do a joy ride i will. pure and simple and its still the same freaking kayak so its still kayak fishing no one can say deferent there.

i wont start ....but all those sit on tops are not even kayaks just a build piece off mold lastic to sit your a$$..

its the same thing they are so many deferent kayak and the speed on those do defer a lot so what happen there...deferent category for them to why not...in race they are deferent category. ::)

if i go to derby i wont have my motor but if some do have there..go for it and enjoy it.

if a motor bring more people to the sport great.

and for the fat //lazy b.s.............this is b.s.

i would paddle like not mutch would do in those site..and still love my paddling but if i can enjoy a deferent way to enjoy my yaks go for it i will.

nothing wrong to want to cover more water and enjoy fishing wit 2 hands.

i might use my motor like 20% off my outhing and in this mabe 20% off that outhing so this is like mabe 5% off my paddling in a season. and a lot off poapl are the same..not becsue you have a motor that you are using it all the time.

if they want category i am ok wit this to..BUT as to be one for hobies to. and propel natives. pure and simple. have to fait to all.

hoby was just a step ahead closer to the motor.<
 more info o this subject
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/showthread.php?t=73633

joco
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 08:57:14 am by joco »

Offline yaknut

• Ultra Light
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2009, 05:07:42 pm »
I'm with the majority on this one. Tournaments and records should only include single person, human powered watercraft.

Human power is the only difference between us and the rest of our sis's and bro's in the fishing community.

That said, that is a really neat setup, BB!

Offline gl_yak

• Southern Ontario Trip Planning
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Daniel
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 07:31:39 pm »

Just as the yaks are changing, the tournaments that are still in there virgin stages will be forced to evolve with it all. No worries :) Enjoy!! :)

The Maine Kayak Fishing Tournament has announced that it will add a motorized category for its 2010 event.

Organizer Scott Shea says that the category will allow electric, battery-powered motors only.

"Definitely a hot topic of discussion on the forums," says Shea.

This is the 5th Annual Maine Kayak Fishing Tournament which takes place July 17 to 19, 2010

Offline soup

• Greenhorn
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 08:34:10 pm »
My son and I are planning on doing some portages with our kayaks.  A motor would not be nice for that.

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 09:59:35 am »
Honestly, I'm not sure that a motorized kayak would be around in the long run, surely there is more practical boat designs to fit into this nieche.  I'm thinking something wider, shorter, highly stable and with better visibility (higher seating) at the same time keeping the weight down would work better for the "I want to fish from a boat, but am unable to paddle" market.   I was thinking maybe something like a lighter jon boat would be a more practicle design, or maybe like the
Native 'hybrid' canoe/kayak is where the motor becomes starts to show it's strengths for fishability. 
John

Offline bucketboy

• Local Pro
  • Lah, lah, lah I'm still not listening!
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 02:42:50 pm »
I think they will be around for quite a while yet :-\  I went to a boat show with the intent of buying a small roof topable fishing boat, I saw a SOT kayak that fullfilleded all my criteria with the additional advantages that is easy to paddle if I choose not to motor and it is for the most part it is unsinkable.

I have sinced fished in small boats but find that although the seating might be slightly more comfortable, stowage of gear clutters up the boat making it frustrating to fish from. Give me a well kitted out kayak anyday.

Quite fancy a 76' Viking though ;D

Bb
I set myself very low standards and fail to achieve them!

Tags: