Recent

Author Topic: motorized kayaks, what do you think?  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
Re: motorized kayaks, what do you think?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 02:47:43 pm »
Myself and a few of the guys I paddle with would have no problem getting ahead of any motorized yak. I can out paddle a 12' aluminum with a 4hp motor so I think I can outdo a SOT with a trolling motor...LOL                   
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline bucketboy

• Local Pro
  • Lah, lah, lah I'm still not listening!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 03:52:31 pm »
Myself and a few of the guys I paddle with would have no problem getting ahead of any motorized yak. I can out paddle a 12' aluminum with a 4hp motor so I think I can outdo a SOT with a trolling motor...LOL                  

Is this your next fishing tournament kayak ::)

Go trolling for Wahoo with that!

Bb ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:13:44 pm by bucketboy »
I set myself very low standards and fail to achieve them!

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 04:12:34 pm »
Granted that is a wicked design but you have to realize that there is no time to pause for a break in that yak.... if you do then down you go and you are just another yak. All the initial energy goes into getting the yak up on plain/ up on the hydrofoil blades. Not very practical but fast because you have so much less in the water.. you would want to have your core skills down to a science and your abs would be in wicked shape because if you loose your balance your screwed...LOL Imagine that loaded with gear, you would never get it up out of the water.
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline Mr. Bob

• Ultra Light
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 04:27:07 am »
These things have their place and uses and I may rig one up in my retirement years.
As for competitive fishing tournaments (derby's), they should be in a completely different category or separate derby for all of the unfair advantages that Russ has pointed out.

Offline bucketboy

• Local Pro
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 06:37:36 am »
These things have their place and uses and I may rig one up in my retirement years.
As for competitive fishing tournaments (derby's), they should be in a completely different category or separate derby for all of the unfair advantages that Russ has pointed out.

Bob, there is no "unfair advantages",

FACT........ they are slower and have less range! how can that be an advantage.

PS  I am retired, and would recommend it to anyone :), getting old is a differant matter :-[

Bb

Offline snapper

• Ultra Light
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 08:35:18 am »
how do you define a kayak? 

It's not how we define a kayak, it's what a kayak is defined as:

"Type of canoe covered by a deck except for a cockpit in which the paddler sits. It has a pointed bow and stern and no keel."

So, that negates any sit-on-top. Whether a motor, pedals, paddle or sail propel a kayak it is still a kayak, there is no distinction as far as semantics are concerned.

I have paddled an extensive range of canoes, kayaks (surf, slalom, touring) and sit on tops (surf, touring, fishing, racing) - I have also tried Bucketboy's Minn Kota powered Big Game and the New Ocean Kayak Torque. I have used sails, straight, cranked and double torque paddle shafts with touring, surf and expedition blades in a variety of materials. I think the point is completely missed - a kayak is a kayak is a kayak, whatever pushes it along.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 09:04:00 am »
We came across the issue of unfair advantages over the past few years with tournies. We came up with Human powered as being a must, this included Hobie Mirage Drives. If there were entrants in the tournies with any motorized devices we would have to encorporate a seperate division. Or we will open ourseves up to having Horse Powered classes and that defeats the purpose of holding a human powered tourney in my opinion. A seperate division making those entrants eligable for seperate prizes kinda includes them but excludes from the general tourney prizes.
Its nice that there are options for people with disablities and old age. I love the idea for specific tactical applications that make paddling impossible and or a dangerous option while attempting the tactic.

Offline bucketboy

• Local Pro
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 12:58:33 pm »
We came across the issue of unfair advantages over the past few years with tournies. We came up with Human powered as being a must, this included Hobie Mirage Drives. If there were entrants in the tournies with any motorized devices we would have to encorporate a seperate division. Or we will open ourseves up to having Horse Powered classes and that defeats the purpose of holding a human powered tourney in my opinion. A seperate division making those entrants eligable for seperate prizes kinda includes them but excludes from the general tourney prizes.
Its nice that there are options for people with disablities and old age. I love the idea for specific tactical applications that make paddling impossible and or a dangerous option while attempting the tactic.

I absolutely agree with you Jeff, allowing a motor would make a mockery of a "human powered" tournament, as I am sure that someone would stick an absurdly fast outboard on the back to get to the mark quicker to gain that "unfair advantage". 

The posts tittle "motorised kayaks, what do you think" makes no mention of tournies and nor should it, it should focus on the both the pro's and cons of fitting one. For me the pro out weighs the cons but others may be of a differant opinion and choose to use a paddle, pedal or sail which is fine by me.

The reason I jump to the defence of the use of electric motor is not that I think everyone should have one (I actually believe the opposite) its because whenever a post mentions, motors, outriggers, bilge pumps and many other accessories not normally associated with kayaks  traditionalist feel somehow that it threatens their enjoyment :-\  all I ask is for people to be more open minded perhaps have a go, you never know they may even like it :)

Bb

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 01:10:42 pm »
Sorry. was skimming the post.
I agree. I think its rather exciting about the engineering and evolution of the kayaking industry. I would like to see a bit more done with power generation from the elements in order to run the motors and systems onboard. Rather than the revamping of the batteries used in the home to run these things. That would really allow for a green print and would get a bigger vote with the tree huggers :)
But yah. I enjoy the cool new designs. Im finding more kayak fishermen to be non-traditional paddlers as well. Like fishermen turned paddle to the fishing spot kinda guys. Are you motoring around? you TRAITOR!!!  :P

Offline Mr. Bob

• Ultra Light
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 02:53:21 pm »
Bb,
    I really do love the way you rigged your motorized kayak. I was thinking of gerri-rigging a regular boat trolling motor and prop thru a scupper hole.
your rear mounted prop is perfectly sweet ... luv it.

Mr.Bob
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:55:45 pm by Mr. Bob »

Offline bucketboy

• Local Pro
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 03:30:06 pm »
Bb,
    I really do love the way you rigged your motorized kayak. I was thinking of gerri-rigging a regular boat trolling motor and prop thru a scupper hole.
your rear mounted prop is perfectly sweet ... luv it.

Mr.Bob

Thanks Bob, not sure I would do it the same way again. A smaller lighter motor would still have more than enough thrust to push a kayak through the water, it would require a smaller and lighter battery to power it. Mount the motor on the bottom of a rudder kit and all the mounting problems have been sorted for you.

As for the Eco stuff Jeff, modern brushless motors are many times more efficient and powerful than brushed motors, so an even smaller motor and battery pack could be used (torqeedo already make one) that with a little more development could be charged from a solar panel. The material used would still have a additional carbon footprint but so do all plastic and composite kayak over the wood and skin kayaks...

Bb

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 12:11:40 pm »
Bucketboy said: "PS. I don't really care anyway, I don't fish tournies."

Well, of course I think it's teriffic that people experiment and try out all sorts of new things in boating generally (except for those d**n personal watercraft) but the source of this whole discussion is "human powered tournaments".  Whether motor powered has an advantage over human powered is irrelevant - if it's defined as a human powered tournament, that's what it is.  It's a bit like if someone tried to enter a muskie he caught during a bass tournament.  Catching the muskie isn't wrong, it's just not what the tournament is defined as being about.  Three cheers for the OKFC - bass & human powered.  Pretty simple really.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline snapper

• Ultra Light
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 09:26:08 am »
the source of this whole discussion is "human powered tournaments".

No it isn't. competitive kayak fishing is only bullet point 1 of 4.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009, 09:59:17 am »
The engineering of todays fishing kayaks and the products in todays industry are pretty amazing. Mirage Drive from hobie is awesome, motorized yaks great, hulls allowing for comfortable stand up, rigging areas are getting better as well. And with all this we all find our comfort niche. Im all for all of it and I like that we are showing the fishing world something new. From the time I was young watching saturday morning televised fishing shows till just these last few years there wasnt really much going on in the fishing world that was anything new and exciting. I mean a color change on my favorite lure was about all that I could get excited over. Re-runs of 1980s fishing shows and some minor reading changes for my toilet time.
BUT NOW!! we have our own fishing television show set to be aired coming up with Jim Sammons, our own magazines, books, DVDs and we are winning International fishing shows with the new products and designing. I think its incredible. We are here watching the change and talking about it as its happening. Very cool.
Just as the yaks are changing, the tournaments that are still in there virgin stages will be forced to evolve with it all. No worries :) Enjoy!! :)

Offline stroover

• Streamside Pro Staff; Hammond River Angling Association Vice President.
  • Old School
  • If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!
    • JC Cormier's Fishing Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 10:01:11 am »
I think they're a good idea. In fact, I'm thinking about mounting a trolling motor on my Tarpon 120. It would help tremendously where I fish, when I am in the process of unhooking a fish or what-not, then the current would not make my kayak swing around and cause my flyline to tangle, etc.

Tags: