Recent

Author Topic: motorized kayaks, what do you think?  (Read 3782 times)

Offline 12footer

• Seasoned Angler
motorized kayaks, what do you think?
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:46:56 pm »
I'd like to hear all of your thoughts on the sudden influx of motorized kayaks.  Is this good for the sport or not?  Where is this sport going?  I know that some folks have physical disabilities that might prevent them from paddling and I know that some fish are tough if not impossible to catch without the assistance of a motor.  I love the sport, obviously we all do and we all love it for different reasons.  Me because it is environmentally friendly, it is physically challenging (healthy), it is techinically challenging and because it puts me on the fish.  Thats's just me and I know we all have our reasons for loving it.  With this in mind I would like to know how you guys feel about the following:

1.  Motorized kayaks for competetive kayak fishing.  Should these kayaks be allowed?  How about virtual tournies?  Don, how do you feel about it since you have a virtual tourny on your site?  (I don't remember if you made up a rule for this or not)  

2.  The environmental aspect.  Batteries are bad for the environment, making them and disposing of them both cause problems because they are toxic, we have not overcome this problem yet.    

3.  Physical excercise.  If you have a motor on your kayak is there really much difference between it and a small boat?  I mean a kayak by definition is "an Eskimo canoe with a skin cover on a light framework, made watertight by flexible closure around the waist of the occupant and propelled with a double-bladed paddle", ok we replaced the skin with plastic but adding a motor too?  At what point is it not a kayak anymore?

4.  Official kayak caught records.  Should power assisted kayaks be eligable?  

So, what do you guys think?  Will human powered kayaks be the minority in the future?  I'd love to hear opinions from everyone.  I know that it's all good times on the water and most importantly all will catch fish but I'd like to get an idea of what this community thinks.  Just curious...  

Cheers,

Russ
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:50:28 pm by 12footer »

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
Re: motorized kayaks, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:52:49 pm »
I have mixed feelings about it, but it comes down to personal preference in the end. Does having one of these yaks mean you get out as opposed to not at all then I say it is worth it... hell if I had the money I would one yak in many various makes and models for different occassions and probably get all of them wet througout a season.

Should they be included in the records.. don't see why not. It isn't like you are paddling when you are fishing anyway so how you get there isn't the issue it is what you catch it out of. Just my 2 cents..

I don't think we will ever see them completely replace the regular yak be it sit in or sit on.. there will always be a new gimic and this is just the most recent.
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 09:58:46 am »
Absolutely not for me.  Paddling canoes and kayaks has been a lifelong obsession for me.  I have owned motor boats and sailboats of various sizes over the years and they all have their own place but so do boats that you paddle.  Re tournaments - if a tourney is designated as human powered that's what it is.  Kayaks, canoes, pedal boats, pontoon boats, row boats, they're all OK if they're human powered.  Otherwise define eligibility in some other way.

The real problem is that as motors are added to kayaks their designs will change to meet the added capabilities until they won't really even look like kayaks any longer.  What if, 10 years from now, someone has a 100 hp Merc on the back of one and takes a little time out from the fishing tourney to go water skiing - what then?

When the Jeff & Jeff Hobie pedal boats showed up at OKFC last summer I shook my head.  At that time I didn't really think they qualified as kayaks, but I was only there for the beer, fishing and bs anyhow.  Now, who knows, I might even get one!
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Greg

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:21:38 am »
Not what I got the Kayak for, but if you have a handicap that a motor would help then sure.

Offline bucketboy

• Local Pro
  • Lah, lah, lah I'm still not listening!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:00:24 am »
I've got one, wouldn't want to be without it but I would not recommend it to anyone who hasn't thought through why they want it in the first place. If it is to get you to more distant marks against strong current or wind then think again, you will almost certainly be disappointed and perhaps find yourself in trouble. :-[

I fish rivers and lakes for pike, the motor allows me to troll live or dead baits at very low speeds while holding the rod. I can hold position without and anchor to offset curreent or wind. I can troll, pulling lures at higher speeds again holding the rod and if I hook into a big fish I simply drive towards it shortening the length of time the fish is being played and therefor reducing the stress it causes.

For me fishing comes first, the kayak is just another type of fishing I enjoy, but thats all it is.

Is it a kayak or a boat? whats the differance, paddles, oars, sails or motors, they all allow me access to water that I can not reach from the shore.

As for the fitness thing, My BGP with motor, batteries and all my gear is heavy enough to make a donkey strain, drag that for a few hundred yard, I to knacked to paddle ::)

Finally, just because I have a motor doesn't mean I have to use it

Bb

I set myself very low standards and fail to achieve them!

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:02:54 am »
Having seen what one of our members has put together and the new offering from Ocean, they do have there place.
The motor is very useful for trolling a lure but I would not have one on its own as an addition to a paddle is fine but you have to be very aware of your and the motors limitations you dont want to motor 5 miles have the battery die and have to paddle 5 miles back againest wind and tide.

Michael

(there you go ;D)
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline Greg

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:13:29 am »
bucketboy, I definately see your point and why you have one.

Offline bucketboy

• Local Pro
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 04:42:31 pm »
People will always add motors to vehicles. Is a moped a bicycle? Is an airplane a glider? Sure you can operate these without the motor running, but why would you. For recreational use I'm all for everyone doing whatever they like to get out on the water, but for kayak tournaments, NO. I like the idea of motorized kayaks being used in a tourney by people with a disability,(being fat, lazy or drunk doesn't count as a disability) but that's it. There are plenty of tournaments out there for motorized boats, go in those with your powered kayak. If it is motorized you'll need an operators card even if you're not using the motor. IF YOU NEED AN OPERATORS CARD TO TAKE IT ON THE WATER, IT'S NOT A KAYAK ANYMORE.
We don't need no stinking operators cards. ::)

Lah, lah, lah, I'm still not listening!

Bb ;D

Offline kiwi

• Local Pro
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 07:11:43 pm »
I am with jediangler on this one, self powered, except for those who have a disability that prevents them from compeating in tournaments.
 Just fishing, giver.

Offline bucketboy

• Local Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 04:37:09 am »
I am with jediangler on this one, self powered, except for those who have a disability that prevents them from compeating in tournaments.
 Just fishing, giver.

Here's a thought ::) are only those with a disability, say very poor eye sight, the only one allowed to use electric fish finders :-\

Time for another rule change, me thinks  ::)

Bb ;D

• Old School
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 06:48:26 am »
He makes a valid point, allbeit the tournament is a human powered tournament not a completely void of technology tournament.. for that matter you may as well go back to using a stick and some string...LOL

Moncton, NB

• Old School
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 10:12:09 am »
I agree with that one.. I don't presently have a finder mounted on my yak but I would love to.. and if given the choice I would choose the finder over the motor anyday.

Moncton, NB

Offline 12footer

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 12:18:10 pm »
Like most of you, I figure fish in whatever makes you happy.  I wouldn't buy a motorized yak but I'd love to try one out.  If you don't have the physical ability to paddle then a motorized kayak might be your best solution, that or a peddle powered Hobie or something.  When it comes to recreation it's all good :)

Competitive kayak fishing I think is a different thing altogether.  Allowing motorized kayaks would create a huge advantage, so huge that it would no longer be an equal playing field in tournies and the HOF in my opinion.  Some advantages would be: you could be the first to the best spots, you could cover more water while trolling and you could fish longer (less time to reach your spots=more time to fish).

As far as the evolution of the motorized kayak goes, I believe it is a matter of time before we see tiny little 30cc gas powered engines pushing these "kayaks".

I don't really know what is and isn't a kayak anymore so I guess my next question is how do you define a kayak? 

Thanks for the thoughts eveyone.

Russ

Offline kiwi

• Local Pro
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 01:18:00 pm »
I think there is a little gas powered one avaiable now, I think I seen it on North west web site some guy was using it to shoot up river from his house to the lake outlet upstreem, sure looked cool and I too would like to have a on one.

Offline bucketboy

• Local Pro
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 02:39:07 pm »
Like most of you, I figure fish in whatever makes you happy.  I wouldn't buy a motorized yak but I'd love to try one out.  If you don't have the physical ability to paddle then a motorized kayak might be your best solution, that or a peddle powered Hobie or something.  When it comes to recreation it's all good :)

Competitive kayak fishing I think is a different thing altogether.  Allowing motorized kayaks would create a huge advantage, so huge that it would no longer be an equal playing field in tournies and the HOF in my opinion.  Some advantages would be: you could be the first to the best spots, you could cover more water while trolling and you could fish longer (less time to reach your spots=more time to fish).

As far as the evolution of the motorized kayak goes, I believe it is a matter of time before we see tiny little 30cc gas powered engines pushing these "kayaks".

I don't really know what is and isn't a kayak anymore so I guess my next question is how do you define a kayak? 

Thanks for the thoughts eveyone.

Russ

Hi Russ, I would like to answer a couple of points you have raised.

I don't know what type of motors other use on their kayaks but the Minn kota Maxxum 40 that I have on my BGP is not as fast as my mate who paddles his Trident so he would be at his mark long before me.

At full speed a 85amp battery is good for about 5 miles, much less than many paddle (at slow speeds it is able to do over 20 miles)

I agree that there is a big advantage while trolling, that is I am able to hold the rod all the time and strike as soon as the fish hits, that's a a big advantage for the fish in that it is not deep hooked.

Another advantage is that I am able to motor over to a large fish and land it more quickly, OK a slight time advantage for me but again a big advantage for the welfare of the fish.

Lastly, definition, mine is a Kayak with a motor, if this is not the case then when a kayak is on a trolley  surely it must be a wheel barrow, or at anchor a marker buoy?

I don't think eveyone should have a motor, I don't thinks eveyone needs a motor and I would question why you would even want a motor but I am always  amazed how many experts and how much knowledge there is, by those how have never tried one.

Bb

PS. I don't really care anyway, I don't fish tournies ;D ;D ;D

Tags: