Recent

Author Topic: T13 Rigging and More  (Read 7667 times)

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
T13 Rigging and More
« on: November 13, 2009, 04:08:20 pm »
Flush mount Ram tubes

The Parts:
2 RAM Tubes
40mm Nylon rod 500mm length
2 X 1.5" RAM balls
2 X Pad eyes from the bits & bobs in the shed
1 X Reel of insulation Tape
2 X Cable ties

The Nylon rod was cut into 2 X 250mm lengths, the centers marked out and a hole drilled for the bolt of the Ram ball.
Word of warning here, the bolt will self tap but as I found out, if the hole is to small you can shear the head off.

Now because the nylon rod is 40mm I knew it would spin with the weight of the ram tube in the rod holder, the first thing I did was to wrap some insulation tape around the nylon rod (only 3 turns) this was enough to hold it tight -well almost - with the weight of a rod & reel it spun round and just pointed seaward  ;D
This thankfully was an easy fix, with the addition of a pad eye on the nylon rod I was able to cable tie it to a fixing on the kayak preventing it from spinning at all.
A lot of the flush mount tubes also have gimbals on the bottom so a slot can be cut in the nylon rod to stop it twisting.

The finished article attached to the kayak, they are in easy reach for me to adjust and as most of the time Im using rods with a longer butt the reels sit right by my hand.

Anchor Trolley Extension

The reason for the anchor trolley extension is so the anchor trolley can run down the side of the kayak without the line crossing over the cockpit area, it also allows the anchor line to go as far aft as possible, this stops the kayak swaying sideways onto tide or flow. The material used is a nylon chopping board which is a versatile and strong product to use while kayak rigging

Flambeau Dry Box

The Flambeau dry box is a perfect fit for the T13 and very useful, I have taken this one step further and converted it to hold some rods and a nav light

2 x 32mm elbow joints
2 x 32mm T joints
1 x length of 32mm pipe
1pkt 22mm pipe clips
1pkt of 32mm pipe clips

I took my new Flambeau dry box and set about attaching the pipe I had already made up to the right size. Made some spacers out of a chopping board and attached the whole thing to the box, added a couple of pipe clips for the flag/light.

It fits the T13 a treat and is very stable with the bungee over the top, I know this will also fit the P13 as they have the same area behind the seat.

Forward RAM mounts

http://anglersafloat.proboards107.com/index.cgi?board=whatwhenandhow&action=display&thread=4971

I opt'ed to use the good old yellow chopping board  ;D

Beacuse Im also a little tight I wondered if I could use the orignal ball mount that came with the rod holder.
I cut out to size and screwed to the base, drilled and tapped a hole to fit a rod rest, its very sturdy.

Fish Finder Mounting

Well with the fine weather and not being able to get out for a paddle I thought it was a good idea to install the fish finder and a few other bits

The transducer unit is very easy to fit into the Yak and is held in place by one large nut which is done up only hand tight. The cable installation is a different kettle of fish

A large cable gland was purchased from Home Depot, taken apart it looks like this

The plug on the transducer is a little to big to go through some of the parts of the cable gland so they have to be split to get the plug through

Then the moment of truth, cutting the hole  ;D this has to be done with care, to much pressure on the drill and you could end up with another hole you dont want :o

With the gland fitted in place it makes a neat job. The back of the cable gland is filled with silicone to completely waterproof it

Next onto the 383c head itself, following the instructions from the main AA rigging page, marked out the fixing points and centre

Another hole drilled and cable gland fitted, if your doing this remember to slide on the back nuts before pulling the cables through  ;)

A word of warning here, the nut on the cable gland is an exact fit to the hole in the mounting plate get the positioning wrong and you will end up in a world of pain and pre drilled holes in the wrong place.

Tidy up the cables on the inside and use self adhesive cable tie holders to fix in place back to the battery pouch

Onto the battery pack, fix an in line 3 amp fuse holder, this is a car type one from an electronics shop which has a rubber cover

Connect the battery, power on and hey presto

In summary, think and think again, measure and measure again, take your time and make sure you have the right tools for the job.

I hope you find this useful

Michael
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:20:31 am by Axor »
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline bucketboy

• Local Pro
  • Lah, lah, lah I'm still not listening!
Re: T13 Rigging
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 04:32:15 pm »
I've seen it and he has done a top job ;)

Not up to my low standard though ;D

Bb
I set myself very low standards and fail to achieve them!

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 06:12:11 pm »
Those are great mods you have done :) Is that one rig that is looking like a bent clothes hanger for resting your rod across while bait fishing? Forgive my ignorance. lol. Whats it called
Very clean looking modifications. WOW!

Offline Greg

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 06:34:48 pm »
Nice work, I'm hoping to have a Trident to modify myself next summer, and enjoy seeing what others have done.

Offline bucketboy

• Local Pro
  • Lah, lah, lah I'm still not listening!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 07:23:02 pm »
Those are great mods you have done :) Is that one rig that is looking like a bent clothes hanger for resting your rod across while bait fishing? Forgive my ignorance. lol. Whats it called
Very clean looking modifications. WOW!

Strangely, its called a "rod-rest"

Bb ;D ;D
I set myself very low standards and fail to achieve them!

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 07:37:00 pm »
lol :) Thanks dude. I couldnt have figured a better name :)

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Re: T13 Rigging and More
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 06:11:19 pm »
Man oh man. That is super work on the rigging. You are indeed a master with the mods :) I love the idea of the ram balls in the placement for the rod holders. Very nice Michael!

Offline FlyYak

• Greenhorn
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:17:39 am »
Very nice Axor, you have kept the clean lines of the yak which is something I was hopping to do. Obviously you have put alot of thought into the rigging - plug and play type setup, I'm going to be considering your design ideas for mine. :)  I really like the dry box with the rod holder combo. Thanks for sharing the Pics.
Life lived on the water, not by it.

Offline Mr. Bob

• Ultra Light
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 02:12:11 pm »
Jacque Cousteau eat your heart out! I bet he would die to have one of these rigged out like this when he did his TV series. Great job Axor!!

Offline rrdstarr

• Ultra Light
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 04:05:15 am »
I know the Plano box 1612 fits in the PT 13 but what # is your Flambeau box?  A flip-top like that might be easier then the two latch system on the Plano while under way!
Are their other boxes that fit well there?

FWIW I have had my PT-13 for a week.
-Rick
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Pygmy Borealis XL w/ Scotty rod holders

Offline rrdstarr

• Ultra Light
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 07:34:05 am »
I did a little head scratching tonight and came up with a way to keep the Scotty gimbal adaptors better in place. Made them at work. The tube is 1" diameter and the OD is 1 5/8". Made of nylon. Keeps them from rattling in place.
-Rick

Offline Bellybuster

• Seasoned Angler
    • Bellybuster Brewery
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 10:07:11 am »
I wish thos adapters weren't so expensive I would love to add them to my yak.
   That's a nice mod with the nylon sleeves, you shoyuld consider selling them to fellow yakkers
Belly

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 12:33:06 pm »
Great Mod to the holders, they look really good.
I have had a look at my box and there is no number on it - give me a shout if you want the Diamensions
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline rrdstarr

• Ultra Light
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 03:18:16 pm »
I wish thos adapters weren't so expensive I would love to add them to my yak.
   That's a nice mod with the nylon sleeves, you shoyuld consider selling them to fellow yakkers

They are $28CAD each for the Scotty Gimbal adaptors, I don't think that is expensive.  I couldn't have made them that cheap, for the nylon and stainless steel tubing.
-Rick

Offline Bellybuster

• Seasoned Angler
    • Bellybuster Brewery
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 07:23:26 am »
$28 fro the adapter, $25 for the scotty mount, X2 sides....$106 = 15% HST
   In my bank that's allotta dough
Belly

Tags: