Recent

Author Topic: Is kayak fishing frowned upon?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline 12footer

• Seasoned Angler
Is kayak fishing frowned upon?
« on: November 11, 2009, 01:29:08 am »
Whenever I post musky pictures on fishing sites (not kayak fishing) there's always some that object to the idea of catching these fish, they think it is putting the fish under more stress and it will be more likely to die as a result.  Have you guys experienced this?  What are your thoughts?  I figure my carbon footprint more than makes up for any extra moments of fight time the fish might be subject to if any.  Besides, if they're that concerned with it maybe they should be fishing with single, barbless hooks... or better yet quit fishing all together!  That's all, rant over.

Russ

Offline Quiks

• Seasoned Angler
Re: Is kayak fishing frowned upon?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:01:10 am »
Yes, i have to agree with you both. They spend so much money on their boats which aren't paid for. The idea that a plastic boat could and would out fish them...... The fact is that when your in one of these fishing boats and you have three lines out. Lets say your line gets snaged well the captain of the boat looks at you and says AGAIN~!!!!!!

vs you alone in your Kayak you control every thing of your fishing. your line the amonut of noise you cause.

yes elitetism.....
From your Kayak fisherman!

http://www.kayakquebec.ca

Offline Greg

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 03:11:54 pm »
Don't let them get to you, we know the joy, quietly spread the word and more will follow.
There'll always be those who knock others to justify themselves.
I come from motorized boats and have become a more successful angler since takeing up the paddle, first with a canoe and then the Kayak.

Smile and nod  ;)

Greg.

Offline Mr. Bob

• Ultra Light
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 03:19:03 am »
These people feel that the only way to catch skis is to pay $600 for a half day charter and use expensive gear.
Kayakers prove that it is not so. The fact that yak-rs don't bounce the skis on a boat deck or roll them around on a dock.
We keep the fish close to the water and do quick gentle releases. Could it be that they are jealous of us? ...I could be wrong.
There will always be people who are reluctant (or resistant) to different ways of doing things (more so if they can't do it.)
This is my thoughts on this issue.

Mr. Bob :-*

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 09:48:56 am »
Too me, I would think the objection is more about the handling of the fish.  I've seen some pics where the fish is held up by a lip gripper and not supported by two hands underneath (and that is the source of the problem, you only see the picture and not the circumstances around it - the fight, landing, release, etc).  Musky are delicate fish, I see no problem with targeting them using any method, just as long as they don't get deslimed, dropped, hanged, etc.  If their problem is anything other than that, then it is just jealosy, elitism or poor sportsmanship.
John

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 11:39:34 am »
I agree with you 100% Rock Bass. Alot of the photos show improper handling of Esox species. I wonder if we might wanna start a thread with a few examples to help the guys to understand what the proper ways to support these larger species are? Awareness is key. Bending this guys like and accordion because your not supporting the lower half near the anal fin really gets me. It seems people like to hold them near the tail alot. Which bends them up. arrgghh. Plus the pictures of the fish look so much nicer when they are held properly.

Offline bucketboy

• Local Pro
  • Lah, lah, lah I'm still not listening!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 04:27:08 pm »
I have been fishing for nearly 50 years and would argue that kayak fishing put less stress on the fish. When landing the fish, I simply chin it and remove the hooks while the fish is still being supported by the water, in addition I have found that I am able to wind down on a big fish and if it wont come to me then the kayak goes to it, reducing the time it takes to land it.

Very big fish might be a differant matter ;D

Bb
I set myself very low standards and fail to achieve them!

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 10:00:25 pm »
I had a member of Muskie NB chapter tell me that he wouldn't recommend me bringing my yak up to fish for muskies in NB. I think he was scared for me more than anything. The thought of someone landing those beautiful fish out of something so inexspensive probably would kill him...LOL.. You don't want to play these fish out to the point that they are belly up when they get to you, but you do need to be careful when handling them even the small ones. I think this is most easily done by being next to the water and we all know you can't get much closer to the water than in a yak..
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline Mr. Bob

• Ultra Light
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 03:06:16 am »
I'm still waiting for my first sleigh ride. That is if there's a fish big enough to pull me around the lake.

Offline 12footer

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 10:43:23 am »
I'm still waiting for my first sleigh ride. That is if there's a fish big enough to pull me around the lake.

LOL...there's been a few 40lb+ muskies landed in our area over the past few weeks.  Here's a couple...

This lat one is almost 58" and 48.5lbs!  The biggest ever caught in Lake St. Clair.

I think one of these would haul you around a bit!

Cheers,

Russ

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 08:40:23 am »
That deserves a "WOW!".
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 08:45:41 am »
And you would be correct in saying that Don..LOL...
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline Quiks

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 10:23:52 pm »
NICE CATCH WOW!!!!

where is the kayak?
From your Kayak fisherman!

http://www.kayakquebec.ca

Offline Mr. Bob

• Ultra Light
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 03:58:23 am »
Wow... I don't have a fish harness big enough for those hogs...

Offline Jason Holweg

• Local Pro
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 09:13:07 pm »
     As a member of Muskies Canada and this forum, do I frown upon muskie fishing from a kayak, not a chance.  Do I have plenty of questions for those of you that do, sure.  If you remember when I joined back in early summer I asked jediangler many a question on handling these beasts so I could fish for them myself (don't think I am quite there  :o).

Remember guys there will always be those that wait to trounce on someone for something they don't like, whether it is a bass angler, walleye guy or musky nut.  Jeff has a great point about posting some proper handling pictures for these bigger fish maybe even a few on how to land them in a kayak.  I've landed plenty from a boat but not one from a kayak ???, I'd love to learn.

The guys out of Ottawa are doing a great study on different ways to catch muskie (barbless, single hooks, live bait rigs, high water temps, stress, etc) releasing them and radio tracking them to learn about the potential delayed mortality of these fish.  Could find out that kayak fishing for them is the best and safest way ;).  It is an interesting read for those that care, check it out at http://projectnoblebeast.blogspot.com/

Jason
He who misses the most days of work, catches the most fish.

Tags: