Recent

Author Topic: Wilderness Systems Pungo 120  (Read 7565 times)

Offline 12footer

• Seasoned Angler
Wilderness Systems Pungo 120
« on: October 04, 2009, 10:19:45 pm »
Get the dry ride and efficient performance of a sit-inside. The spacious cockpit and easily accessible rear hatch offers ample storage space for anglers and their gear.

Length: 12' / 366 cm
Width: 29" / 74 cm
Max Capacity: 325 lbs. / 147 kg
Deck Height: 13" / 33 cm
Weight: 52 lbs. / 24 kg
Cockpit Length: 57" / 145 cm
Cockpit Width: 22" / 56 cm

Offline 12footer

• Seasoned Angler
Re: Wilderness Systems Pungo 120
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:34:48 pm »
They say this is the most popular recreation kayak on the planet so you know right off the bat it is a great boat.  How is it for fishing?  Well in the rough stuff you have to watch yourself, especially if you don't have a skirt like me, but then a kayak with a large, open cockpit like this isn't meant for the rough stuff  :).  In reasonable waters this kayak is awsome.  The huge cockpit allows so much movement and if equipped with a dash you can set yourself up perfectly.  My girlfriend uses this kayak for fishing alot now and she has a blast.  I would recommend this kayak.

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 11:04:57 pm »
If you are going with any yak make sure it has a rudder option. You won't regret getting the rudder and if you don't then your first trip out you will know why I suggested to get it. Maneuverability alone will save you from a great day turning into a bad day. If you want to just paddle then you have to just paddle your rudder is worked with your feet. If you want to fish then you can put the paddle down, make sure the wind is at your back and you can cruise whatever contoured shoreline you like. You can get hatch covers and spray skirts to match any yak make or models so don't worry about that. Look at as many models and makes as you can, find the little things that stand out and are benefits to you. Maybe a console is one, storage is another, a rudder package etc... things like that.. it will also help narrow your search down.
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:54:47 pm »
You're talkin' about my ride here!  I keep a spray cover and spare collapsible canoe paddle in a small bag in the bow.  Other than that here are some photos of my installation - pretty simple.  I'm biased towards SIKs but SOTs seem to be preferred far more for fishing by others.  The Pungo 12 is really easy to load and unload solo from my roof rack.

Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Greg

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 05:45:56 pm »
DGW, nicely rigged, is that the transducer on the end of the wire at the stern, or something else, it looks different than what I'm used to.

Greg.

Offline Greg

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 05:52:30 pm »
OK,  another pic just appeared,  that's the transducer next to the battery right, so whats at the stern,  water temp?

Greg.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:58:44 pm »
That model of Humminbird fish finder, I think its a 140 or a 160, I can't remember, has a temperature probe (I guess I could call it a thermometer) permanently attached to the transducer.  It's not really a big deal but it's there so I mounted it.

The white board that the fish finder is mounted on it a plastic cutting board cut to size.  The whole thing isn't fancy but it works for me.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline stroover

• Streamside Pro Staff; Hammond River Angling Association Vice President.
  • Old School
  • If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!
    • JC Cormier's Fishing Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 10:43:41 pm »
You know, a few days before I bought my WS Tarpon I was going to buy the Pungo. I initially was going for the Tarpon, but saw the Pungo and was gonna go for it instead. It was a close decision, but I went with the Tarpon at the last minute because of it being a SOT, I figured it would give me more maneuverability for fishing, plus I figured if I ever flip over the SOT would be much simpler to get back in.
I'm by no means dogging the Pungo! As a matter of fact, I still may get one someday.

DWG, would you recommend a fish finder like yours on a yak? I'm thinking about it. Are any holes required? That's something I'm not comfortable doing to my baby.

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 07:36:48 am »
Don't worry Strover... the first hole is the hardest...LOL... after that you will be drilling holes all over her just to keep adding stuff. Lots of how to's on here for that kind of thing. Just make sure you measure it a few times before putting the drill to anything... clean up the holes rough surfaces and you should be good to go.
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline Greg

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 09:15:19 am »
LOL! when I brought mine home my wife came outside to see me with a drill in my hand with a holesaw in it........ she mumbled something about crazy, and walked away.

Greg.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 10:57:05 am »
With that model of Humminbird the temperature probe has to be in the water to be accurate so if you want to use it you'll have to cut a hole for it.  The most common transducer installation with both SIK & SOT's is on the inside of the hull.  If it's installed properly it's as accurate as an in-the-water installation and it's completely protected from rocks, etc.  Marine GOOP works well as it has some flex to it whereas most epoxies are rigid.  You can get plenty of advice on this forum from people who have installed their fishfinders in different ways.  It's not brain surgery.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Tags: