Recent

Author Topic: Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120  (Read 3620 times)

Offline 12footer

• Seasoned Angler
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:33:20 pm »
The ultimate versitile sit-on-top.  There's more buzz about this boat in kayak fishing circles than any other.  It's got it all: comfort, stability, stowage, glide and good looks. 

Length: 12' (366cm)
Weight: 60lbs (27kg)
Width: 28" (71cm)
Capacity: 350lb (159kg)

Options: Rudder, Angler

Offline 12footer

• Seasoned Angler
Re: Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:02:21 pm »
I have a 2008 model T120.  I havn't owned any other sit-on-top kayaks so I don't have much to compare it too but after fishing out of it extensively over the past year I can tell you that there is very little I would change on it, including the CSS seat that came standard on this year. It strikes the perfect balance of size and weight for me given that I fish primarily sheltered bays and large river situations and so far I havn't had a problem keeping up with anyone who I fish with who has a longer boat...although we tend to keep a comfortable pace when moving around.  Top speed would undoubtably be slightly slower than a longer tarpon.  I might prefer a larger boat if I spent more time on the Lake Erie though...  I chose the non-angler version so that I can rig it to my own preferences, I have no regrets there.  I do regret not getting the rudder option sometimes, especially in windy days.  The T120 will get wet on choppy water from water coming up through the scupper holes.  I don't consider this a fault though, this just means you need a good pair of dry pants or a dry suit when fishing in cooler water and is something a T120 owner should invest in.  They should have included 2 pouches inside the smaller hatch covers, they only come with one...at least mine did.  I had to buy a second one for $20  :-\  Given that this yak is only 12 feet long it holds a remarkable amount of stuff, easily enough for a day on the water and probably enough for a couple of nights camping too although i havn't tried that...yet.  To conclude, I would recommend this kayak.  Below is a photo of how I have mine rigged.

Cheers!

R~
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:06:18 pm by 12footer »

Tags: