Recent

Author Topic: what is available?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline HiTech

• Greenhorn
what is available?
« on: December 19, 2018, 09:06:47 am »
As I said in my intro I am new to yak fishing and all. Looking for a good Kayak that can handle lakes, slow flat rivers and in shore salt water use. Also would like to be as dry a ride as possible with comfy seat. Something around 2k on the water would be awesome.
  I have been looking and reading a lot (driving wife crazy) and OK's BG2 looks to be the front runner because of it's weight capacity and stability. Peddle drives are out due to back injury which brings me to another point. Is it even possible for someone with chronic low back pain to enjoy a kayak? I have simulated paddle Kayak in a gym without too much of an issue but that is not the same as the real thing.

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
Re: what is available?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 01:52:28 am »
Chronic lower back pain could be an issue depending on how bad your back is.

a) From handling the kayak. They are heavy and awkward because of size.

b) Depending on the seat/kayak there can be strain on back due to seats being close to same height as feet. Anything with a basic seat would likely be a bad idea.

c) Paddling uses core strength including back. If out for a leisurely go probably would be fine but if you get stuck fighting wind then might notice this.

I wouldn't write using a kayak off but I would try to use one before committing to buying. The owner of this forum is from Halifax too so might be able to help with finding one to try.

Some models that might be worth looking into would be

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 130X
Ocean Kayak Trident 13 (newer ones have a better seat then my old one but not sure if would be good enough)
Ocean Kayak Big Game II
Jackson Liska
Pescador Pilot Pro 12
Native Slayer 12 Pro

Offline HiTech

• Greenhorn
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 08:59:45 am »
Thanks Ravyak for the reply.
 Definitely need a raised seat (minimum of 5" seat height above deck). Will have to do more investigating to see what shops offer rentals/ test rides. Would be willing to travel to southern N.B. in the spring if test ride worked out and a good deal was to be had.
  I do know that the seat in a canoe is too high and my knees did not like kneeling for too long but otherwise no issues so hoping a yak may get me back on the water.

Thanks for the model suggestions, will check them out.

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 10:38:25 pm »
I have back and knee problems after looking for a long time I went with the feel free lure 11.5. the seat is what sold me mostly. My back never bothers me any more and love the built I .wheel to help me launch. That being said it is a heavy yak and a tank to paddle but I love it.