Recent

Author Topic: Do you use a drift sock?  (Read 339 times)

Offline TexasDon

• Ultra Light
Do you use a drift sock?
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:18:27 pm »
Most of the time it is really windy on the bay and coastal areas I'm thinking about fishing.
Do you guys use a drift sock?

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
Re: Do you use a drift sock?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 11:01:57 pm »
I only use one when fishing rivers if the kayak is swinging back and forth without one.

I have tried using mine on lakes but haven't found it to be that helpful. I have pedal drive though and can control my speed with rudder and pedals. I also rarely drift areas and am usually either anchored or trolling. For other styles of fishing they could likely be more helpful though.

Offline tsquared

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish worship--is it wrong?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 09:45:33 am »
I have one which I carry with me only when I plan to jig, rather than troll. Works alright.
T2
Metchosin BC
(Metchosin is a coast Salish word meaning "stinking fish")

Offline Northdogboy

• Ultra Light
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 01:20:13 pm »
I use one on the salt Chuck when I'm drifting otherwise I drift to fast and tend to spin or go sideways to the swell. Not pleasant.  I just have a old Ikea blue bag with a chain attached to the bottom and a old crab pot float on top.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 10:55:31 am »
I've had one for years that I've never found a need for. To each his own though.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Northdogboy

• Ultra Light
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 12:20:17 am »
I guess it depends on where you intend to go fishing.   Out here it's to deep for me to anchor and the current can really be moving in general. So I find the drift sock slow me down and steadys.me out 

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 11:11:09 am »
I guess it depends on where you intend to go fishing.   Out here it's to deep for me to anchor and the current can really be moving in general. So I find the drift sock slow me down and steadys.me out

A drift sock will only slow you down in wind it does not slow you down in current as the current just grabs the sock and pulls harder on the kayak.

I only know of 2 uses for a drift sock.

They will hold a kayak in line if anchored in current(otherwise current and wind can swing kayak side to side or even upriver).

They will slow your drift if the wind is pushing you around, the key is the water has to be moving slower then your kayak so the drag slows the kayak down. Since they have to be removed before you start kayaking again they aren't much help for short drifts which is why I gave up on using them on lakes since I rarely am just drifting over spots.

In short they are helpful if you fish areas that you just want to drift along. Say if fishing large flats, open ocean, suspended depths in middle of a lake etc. Stuff where the wind might be blowing you along at too fast of a rate for the presentation you are trying to use or if you want to keep the kayak from blowing sideways in the wind so that you can handle waves better etc.

The best method to fight wind/current and control drifts although more expensive is to have a pedal drive kayak. You can point the kayak against the current and keep pedalling at whatever speed you need to perfectly control the speed and direction of travel of your kayak. To me this is one of the biggest advantages of a pedal drive kayak because it allows a person to not only slow their drift but also to control it and to follow countours, structure etc while still being able to fish constantly. I used to hate fishing in the wind or current with my paddle kayak but with the Hobie it is only a slight inconvenience.

I am down in Florida right now and just did a weekend of offshore fishing. Without a pedal kayak I would have been screwed as there was 2+ knots of current offshore. The only way to fish it was to be constantly pedalling against the current and even with that we still ended up drifting 13 miles down the shoreline before the day was done. Another spot there was only 0.5-1 knot of current and we were able to hold our position and launch/land in the same spot but that would have been very tough with a paddle kayak and a guy would almost be forced to drift every time fishing in those conditions.

Offline TexasDon

• Ultra Light
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 09:51:03 am »
I wish I could afford a pedal drive.....Oh well, Someday.

Offline dwc67

• Ultra Light
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 05:17:06 pm »
i use mine

i fish big water and use it to slow a drift down. its great jigging for lakers on ont.

i use an ikea bag with a weight on one handle and foam on the other. i have 2 true socks but the bag works better

a half trolley is all you need. if i want to speed up the bag is in the middle and slow down it goes to the back

Tags: