Recent

Author Topic: DIY scupper plugs?  (Read 411 times)

Offline TexasDon

• Ultra Light
DIY scupper plugs?
« on: February 25, 2018, 03:10:11 pm »
I just bought a used 2015 Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler kayak that came with no scupper plugs. I am not where I can measure the scupper holes for a few days and don't know their diameter.
Short of buying plugs made for a kayak, is there a cheap DIY solution?

Offline Backroads Baddler

• Born to Fish
  • Local Pro
  • Vancouver Islander
Re: DIY scupper plugs?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:53:03 pm »
Why do you want scupper plugs?  I personally use them to eliminates the 'glug' sound of water sloshing up the scupper holes.  Two options i've used:
1. Foam practice golf balls.  Typically yellow, the high density foam has lasted years on a few of my boats.  These create a seal though and don't allow water out of the holes so it's not ideal in all situations.     
2. Pieces of pool noodle. This is actually my preferred method as it can be tailored to fit tight but still allow water to drain. I usually have a few pool noodles in my boat so replacements are quickly made.

I don't have a Trident but I think that compared to my yaks (Cuda 12, Ride 115X) the Trident is a wetter ride and therefore you would likely benefit with scupper plugs that drain, regardless of DIY or not.

Jackson Cuda 12
Wilderness Systems Ride 115X
OK Caper
Nanaimo BC

Offline TexasDon

• Ultra Light
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:04:35 am »
I am new to kayaking, my seat will be right against the boat bottom of an Ocean Kayak, not elevated like in a raised seat situation.  And weighing 270 lbs (until I can lose the weight) it seemed that the waterline would be a few inches up the outside and inside without plugs.

I don't mind a little water, but sitting in a couple inches seems more than I'd prefer.
Are there really plugs that would drain under that condition with me sitting in the kayak in the water?

Please help me understand~
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:00:17 am by TexasDon »

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:37:38 am »
I've found that in my Hobie Outback scupper plugs do more to keep water in the tankwell (splashes from waves, boat wakes, etc.) than keep water out. I weigh 215. Generally, in rough water I leave the plugs out and in calm water I put them in.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline TexasDon

• Ultra Light
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 10:47:25 am »
Really??
I have SO Much to learn.
Not too concerned about the tankwell, just the cockpit.
thank you~
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:57:04 am by TexasDon »

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 02:23:32 pm »
Ah, the cockpit. I've never taken the plugs out. Better to keep your butt dry with waders than try to keep your cockpit dry - it'll get wet no matter what you do. I've used the same Kokotat waders for 8 years now with no problems. They wear like iron.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 03:20:34 pm »
At 270 your Trident is going to be a wet ride in anything but calm conditions whether you use scupper plugs or not. Your best bet is to wear clothing that will keep you dry(dry pants etc).

Scupper plugs have always been double edged, they can keep water out but they also keep water in. For lighter people the boats stay above the water line so there isn't really a benefit of scupper plugs but for a heavier guy like yourself nearing the boats weight limit(with gear) you may need something especially considering that the Trident is a wetter riding kayak. With the trident your seat sits on the kayak and is cloth so once you get a wave etc come in your seat will be wet and so will you if you don't have dry clothes on, something to know and hence why I say the only way to stay dry is dry clothing.

Ocean Kayak does make scupper valves which are one way valves that are probably your best option. Looks like you can get them for $4 usd each from Austin Kayak plus whatever you would have to pay for the shipping. They fit in all the scupper holes on the trident so you can use them for the foot well, seat and tank well if you want.

I wouldn't waste time with homemade scupper plugs(or solid plugs), all they are going to do is hold the water in.

Offline TexasDon

• Ultra Light
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 12:20:53 am »
I know you are right, Ravyak.
Thanks~

Tags: