Recent

Author Topic: 2018 Kayak Wars Discussion Thread  (Read 6326 times)

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
2018 Kayak Wars Discussion Thread
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:40:10 am »
Lets get a new 2018 Thread going!!!
Hope everyone is getting Amped up for a new fishing season!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
Re: 2018 Kayak Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 10:13:48 am »
 Can't wait. Going to start my season in less then 2 weeks with some saltwater action in Florida.
Home water is Bay of Quinte!!!!!

https://www.kayakwars.com/angler.php?angler-id=5303
See my Kayak Wars Catches.

Offline Eric Lewis

• Greenhorn
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 10:37:54 pm »
Thanks John for starting the topic. 

I was hoping to get on a team this year.  I am currently registered but if I am not mistaken I have time to get on a team.  Not sure how to go about it.  Anybody else looking for team members let me know or message me! I'd be willing to join with anybody (competitive or not). I plan on doing a lot of fishing myself for at least 7 months of the year especially during the 2 months off this summer (I'm a teacher). I am not concerned about winning the team title but I could see a Canadian team doing it after looking at the overview of last season.

Spyman48 that sounds like an awesome trip!
Sandy Bay, SK

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 06:14:14 am »
 Eric, I think our team is the same guys again this year, but I'm sure there are teams that still need a member or 2. Kayak Wars will let you join a team at anytime I think. Just give them an email when you get on a team. Maybe try posting on Kayakwars Facebook page that your looking for a team.

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 02:29:06 pm »
Hey Eric, good to see  that some Saskbush kayak fish will be posted. You fish Tobin or you are further north ?
( My Mum's from Nipawin )
 KW Quota for pike and walleye  for Team and / or individual is 50 a month, you may be better off as an individual if you are gonna slay em and want a bunch of points.
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Eric Lewis

• Greenhorn
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 05:43:18 pm »
Sandy Bay.  On the Churchill with lots of lakes around me to choose from.  I’m originally from PEI.  I’m sure a lot of you in these forums are together on teams already. 

Eagle Eyes -does that mean if my teammates get a lot of walleye I can’t get as many  individual points from my own walleye catches. In that case I might consider being a lone Wolf.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:46:58 pm by Eric Lewis »
Sandy Bay, SK

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 11:58:33 pm »
Sandy Bay.  On the Churchill with lots of lakes around me to choose from.  I’m originally from PEI.  I’m sure a lot of you in these forums are together on teams already. 

Eagle Eyes -does that mean if my teammates get a lot of walleye I can’t get as many  individual points from my own walleye catches. In that case I might consider being a lone Wolf.

Yes if on a team the maximum number of each species is the combined total for whole team.

I am going to be a lone angler this year, it doesn't make any sense to enter as a team with the current setup.

Hard to get motivated after last season and not having any idea what they are going to do with prizes etc. Definitely not going to be trying to win again unless they announce some wicked prizes.

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 06:14:34 am »
Eric try sending Joel Haines and email via kayak wars if you can. Ontario angler that wants to join a team also Ontario guy.

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 11:45:41 am »
Unlikely for nothing more than whats offered now. The amount of teams will likely be way smaller. No where near the 650 like last year due to the absence of company online and even the paddle offered was nevered handed out.  Less than 200 guys rightnow and a long way to go

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 02:42:47 pm »
Unlikely for nothing more than whats offered now. The amount of teams will likely be way smaller. No where near the 650 like last year due to the absence of company online and even the paddle offered was nevered handed out.  Less than 200 guys rightnow and a long way to go
                                                                                                                                                                            Glad someone mentioned to them that the Kayak Man ( Gold ) Points draw is what motivated many to register, the chance to win something if not slaying a bunch of fish.                                              As said before some form of KW better than none, I guess. Look at it as a subscription service to keep track of PB's. Being a specie / trophy guy still enjoy looking at their  record pics.  Hope it matures and gets away from rewarding the ridiculous bloodbath, imo.  :)
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 04:28:46 pm »

Lusca never got his paddle for the skirmish?

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 05:42:57 pm »
Tyler never ever saw a post in a winner and many had asked online. If he did great 👍. Stats and records it is Brent 🤗

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 06:16:54 pm »
The price getting higher and the services are just not there.
I'm still on the fence if I will be joining this year. I have made a spread sheet to keep track of all my catches and pbs so might just stick with that. I can still compare to the stats on kw if I don't join

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 06:50:42 pm »
For what it costs, I'm totally fine with it. Spent $25 on things that I've used way less. It would be nice to have more prizes and such, but I'm still playing even without any. I was never really in it for the prizes. I like taking and sharing board pics. I also like seeing others doing the same. It's cool to see a friend or teammate get a new species that's been a challenge for them, or see the pic of that PB they finally bettered. If the price ever goes up, I'd probably not join.

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 06:53:41 pm »
Tyler never ever saw a post in a winner and many had asked online. If he did great 👍. Stats and records it is Brent 🤗

He received the paddle in October, I just looked back on his facebook page...

I just received my gift certificate, they got me a Cabelas Canada card and even threw a few extra bucks on it. Still waiting on the prize pack, it will be interesting to see what is in it. The gift certificate came straight from Cabelas so that explains why it came separate.

I have always received the prizes stated for what I have won. The only time I think they tried to back out of a prize was the first year when they listed the few extra Hobie prizes on website but myself and possibly a few others messaged them about it and they made things right.

I only have two frustrations with them. The first being that they lost most of their sponsors or something including all their big prizes like Hobie, Pelican etc. The prizes their first year were very good with multiple kayaks and lots of other good gear but last year it was just t-shirts, koozies, a paddle, a few rods, a couple sunglasses, a gift card and whatever my prize pack ends up being. Heck my spring skirmish prize the first year was bigger then all the main prizes this year. Second frustration was that they waited most of last year before announcing the lack of prizes, I already had a ton of time and money invested but I knew I was taking that risk since they hadn't announced anything.

Hopefully they will announce the prizes/prize structure earlier this year and will have their heads in the game this year. This tournament has a lot of potential, if they lined up good prizes, draws, skirmishes etc they could easily up the entry fee significantly(like $100).

Tags: