Recent

Author Topic: Nova Scotia Fishing Event Idea for 2018  (Read 365 times)

Offline Transplant

• CKA TEAM
  • Old School
Nova Scotia Fishing Event Idea for 2018
« on: December 01, 2017, 12:54:08 pm »
Hey all,
I’m throwing this out to a few different places in an effort to gauge interest in an event I would like to organize for the summer of 2018. At this time I am simply looking for level of interest, and suggestions for improvements or ways to help make this happen.
The Stewiacke River system is currently supporting a large population of pickerel. This is bad in every possible way, the Stewiacke River is an amazing trout fishery that just can’t survive an influx of pickerel. I have fished for pickerel in a small marsh/lake off the Stewiacke River, and there are healthy numbers of fish here. This area is accessible only by kayak/canoe, and even that is not easy, there’s a bit of a haul through the marsh to get to the lake. There’s just no reasonable way to get boats in and out of this area, making it perfect for kayakers.
I have been in discussion with the Department of Fisheries and they would support a catch and keep pickerel event on this lake. There are 3 main benefits from this type of event, as follows:
1.   Removing a small (or large) number of pickerel from the Stewiacke River Watershed. This is honestly not doing much, but it’s also not going to hurt to get a few pickerel out of the system.
2.   The Department of Fisheries are doing studies on the pickerel populations in the Stewiacke Watershed next year and would work with us to take in the fish that are caught and use the data we provide in their studies.
3.   I have been in discussion with the Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, they are located in Brookfield and typically take in injured eagles and other birds of prey with the intention of releasing them after they are healthy. They are always looking for donations of fish to help feed the birds.
This event would not be held as a derby, it would be held only as a means of kayakers supporting the community, and as an excuse to get kayakers out for a day of fun fishing. The area we would be fishing is shallow, weedy, and full of pickerel, and most people wouldn’t know it was there unless they were lead to it, so there’s a benefit for individuals to take part. If I can get enough interest from here (and other groups I’ll be talking to) I will certainly look into getting some donations for some prizes and such to help with incentive (not that we should need it).
 I will also add, I am the last person who would ever hold an event to intentionally kill fish if there wasn’t a purpose behind it. I am a 99% catch and release fisherman for all species including pickerel, but It pains me to see pickerel in the Stewiacke River. While I don’t believe that I personally can do much to stop or prevent the pickerel now that they’re in the system, I do feel like this type of event is a chance for us to play our part in assisting the Department of Fisheries while also helping the Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, and getting a few pickerel out of the Stewiacke River.

I’m open to any ideas and suggestions and will keep interested individuals informed as I sort out details and figure out if I can make this happen.
Truro, Nova Scotia

Ocean Kayak Trident 13
Hobie Outback 'Hank Parker Fishing Edition"

www.nskayakfisher.wordpress.com

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Re: Nova Scotia Fishing Event Idea for 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 05:39:02 pm »
I would be open/happy to participate in this.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 03:34:40 pm »
Bring the meat grinder, sounds like a fish cake making party.
( After feeding the injured birds )
Good on you Ryan !
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:49:32 pm by EagleEyesFlash »
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 12:32:45 pm »
Sounds like it would be beneficial and needed for a better fish habitat if removed many of them. Plenty of hungry 😋 mouths 👄  to feed. No different then a deer 🦌 cull. Love to be there for that. 👍

Offline ZaGhost

• Local Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 08:49:19 pm »
Sounds like a great idea..... could always use more Pickies to throw in the smoker...
Current Designs Solara 100

Offline TexasDon

• Ultra Light
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:28:25 pm »
I'm new, but would give it a go to help out.

Tags: