Recent

Author Topic: Bit of Spring Prep and rambling musings.  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
Re: Bit of Spring Prep and rambling musings.
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 10:34:22 pm »
I never use a flasher or dodger, the extra drag is a pain and I have always been able to find a decent enough lure where I fish that I haven't felt like I ever needed one.

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 08:36:59 am »
I never use a flasher or dodger, the extra drag is a pain and I have always been able to find a decent enough lure where I fish that I haven't felt like I ever needed one.

Dodgers are real popular for Kokanee fishing, maybe something to add to your arsenal if you decide to purse that specie ? ( Just noticed a specie you don't have on KW  :D, one of very few western one ).

I know I'll be adding attractors to my trout and salmon gear. Got to be a reason that they are so popular and that they worked for Spyman48 last April on the big lake, out fishing just a plain spoon.

The spoon furthest on the left of first pic is in NBK ( Natural Born Killer ), one of the most popular colours used on Lake O.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:45:34 pm by EagleEyesFlash »
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 03:44:57 pm »
Dodgers are real popular for Kokanee fishing, maybe something to add to your arsenal if you decide to purse that specie ? ( Just noticed a specie you don't have on KW  :D, one of very few western one ).

I know I'll be adding attractors to my trout and salmon gear. Got to be a reason that they are so popular and that they worked for Spyman48 last April on the big lake, out fishing just a plain spoon.

The spoon furthest on the left of first pic is in NBK ( Natural Born Killer ), one of the most popular colours used on Lake O.

Yeah never fished for kokanee yet, have to go to BC for them and I know a bunch of the lakes out there are hurting due to disease in recent years. I will have to go for them at some time but too far to target them specifically, it is too bad Kootenay Lake has taken such a beating because I would have loved to go target some big gerard rainbows but there aren't many left from what I understand.

Flashers and dodgers can be very useful for spread out fish. Our lake trout out here anyways like to school up and the key to a good day is finding the schools of fish. There are lots of places you can troll for kms and will catch only the odd fish and in those situations a flasher could help but once you find the fish it is unnecessary and can catch them easily without.

Flasher and dodger fishing is an art form itself. Size, colours, action all very important and it takes a lot of practice to get dialed in what works and what doesn't. Especially if using a large one they add quite a bit of drag which sucks in a kayak and it is also harder to fight and land the fish with as well. If you need them definitely use them but if you are marking lots of fish then forget the flasher and just figure out what the fish want to eat.

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 09:32:15 am »
The dipsey I tried from a Hobie was a size 1, a big one, there are smaller sizes, but don't go as deep. A small size 3 might not be bad from a kayak.

Watched two of my fav. shows on WFN on the weekend, Angler West TV and Fishing 411. Full of trout and salmon action. One of Mark Romanack's favourite set-ups on the great lakes is a smaller 4 inch inline rotating flasher,
( not a Hot Shot one, another make ) and a  3.5 Yakima Map Lip. He said the 3.5" out produces the larger 4.5 and 5.0s. Most productive colours usually silvers, chartreuse, and greens. Orange higher up for steelhead.

Know why that cannon ball is red, red is first colour to disappear ( turn black ) down the water column.

Picked up a K9X Kwikfish, Sail Ottawa had a few but just in the K9X and K14 sizes. Think it's the smaller K7X size that works well behind an attractor.  Would like to try a big K14 ( or even K15 or K16 ) Kwikfish for giant northern lakers, see the big Kwikfish used often up north. The K9 might be good for casting for staging salmon...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:19:55 pm by EagleEyesFlash »

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 11:00:21 am »
Kwikfish, flatfish etc are nice because they are slower trolling baits and easier to use in a kayak.

Don't be afraid to use big lures for lakers, I have caught 5-6 lb trout using bondy baits lol...

Small kwikfish/flatfish are common for rainbow trout in BC, I haven't really tried them out that much though since I primarily fly fish for them now(and our lakes are more like shallow ponds so don't need to get down deep like in BC).

Offline dwc67

• Ultra Light
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 07:43:20 pm »

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 07:48:17 pm »
Home water is Bay of Quinte!!!!!

https://www.kayakwars.com/angler.php?angler-id=5303
See my Kayak Wars Catches.

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 08:14:39 pm »
dont forget about the wht halo fly.

http://vid138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/dwc67/may%202%20bestof_zps57lklwhi.mp4

Great footage, back and forth and a bunch of follows. Shorten the lead some ? Bugging you Dave ! You know your stuff ! Maybe post your other vid. when the lakers strike ? You are one of the good guys of this crazy sport.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:28:00 pm by EagleEyesFlash »

Offline albertan-yaker

• Local Pro
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 11:50:16 am »
Anyone know dodgers and flashers ? I'm kinda new to them.
With the old metal ones are dodgers generally flat and can be bent to make a flasher ?
My understanding is if used in front of a spoon you just want the side to side action of a dodger.
The spoon has it's own action and you don't want things to tangle.
If used in front of a fly, hoochie or meat rig ( baits with no action of their own )a flasher that does the full 360 rotation is used, and the newer plastic flashers that rotate the full 360 at slower speeds are good to use ( ie spin doctors ).

Often see  Gibbs and Luhr Jensen attractors marked as dodger / flasher so guessing they are dodgers if kept flat and can be made into a flasher by bending the ends. Always a bit leary of bending things ( even spoons ) cause from factory should work and it takes time and experiment to figure out.

Comments ?

I am on the NWK forum and this is a possible solution to dodgers and flashers... i have not used them yet but looks like they would really work well with a Kayak as seen in the video.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?page=35
..." don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself, He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard "

Hobie Outback 2014
Hobie Pro Angler 2016

Danocustomrods.com

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 02:07:28 pm »
Yes a 6" or 4" inline rotating flasher would be good out of a kayak.  Hot Spot only has 9" and 7 1/2"
ones, hard to find the smaller ones around here unless order online.

http://www.hotspotlures.com/products_agitator.php

Offline albertan-yaker

• Local Pro
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 03:45:10 pm »
I ended up buying from Konezone direct, they go down to a 4". Really good guy i dealt with ended up throwing a couple extras... not sure if you have the words to get that ... ;)
..." don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself, He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard "

Hobie Outback 2014
Hobie Pro Angler 2016

Danocustomrods.com

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 03:53:59 pm »
I ended up buying from Konezone direct, they go down to a 4". Really good guy i dealt with ended up throwing a couple extras... not sure if you have the words to get that ... ;)

When we go to Cold this year you use your funky flasher doohickeys and I will use my secret lures and see who does better ;).

Offline albertan-yaker

• Local Pro
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 04:02:03 pm »
cold lake special tipped with a minnow....lol no secret ;)... you going to use those fluttery thing-ys? ;)

Hobie Outback 2014
Hobie Pro Angler 2016

Danocustomrods.com

Tags: