Recent

Author Topic: KW 2017  (Read 15932 times)

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
Re: KW 2017
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 09:20:46 pm »
Got a brother named Kurtis, he's not a PITA, you worried about points? , where's the sport
If sitting in a yak on ice ?
I'll rant a bit, ethically the max. you should be able to post on a day is your daily limit.
Just saying KW a bit of a blood bath, I have stopped lake trout fishing on occasion, cause limit is 2 here, including ones in freezer, and if badly hooked, ie, bleeding have to keep. If have 2 bleeders, must STOP !
KW would be better if daily limits good be programmed in. But then there's the bass slay, and they mainly release fairly well. 2 limits ?, ...

Bla Bla, can't wait to go chase !

I don't plan on fishing through the ice, I got some open water spots I will fish if the weather is nice enough  ;D.

Lots of our lakes are catch and release out here so if it was limit based wouldn't even be any point in entering lol. Can't keep walleye from 90% of lakes, pike probably 50% of lakes, trout is sometimes reduced too. Lake trout on our main lake is only 1 limit and it has to be big so you usually have to catch 50 fish to get a keeper and you often see floaters on the lake because of it... That is just the way she goes, out here in AB you don't have to stop fishing just try your best to release the fish in the healthiest way possible.

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 08:50:06 am »
Just noticed min. length of Largemouth is 15in this year, not 16in. That should help score a few more.
Home water is Bay of Quinte!!!!!

https://www.kayakwars.com/angler.php?angler-id=5303
See my Kayak Wars Catches.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 10:21:56 am »
Not to wander too much off topic on this thread but there's something I've always wondered about. If I'm fishing a catch and release lake and I deep hook a fish such that it's spirit passes to the great beyond, what do I do with it? I violate the C&R reg if I keep it, and I violate a different one if I throw it back in the lake.

A variation of this happened to me in an OKFS event a couple of years ago on a lake that was NOT catch and release but the tournament was. I deep hooked a pike such that it died so I took it back with me to the HQ and explained to Jeff. There was no problem with him but he could make whatever judgment he liked re the tournament since no reg had been violated (I took it home and ate it).

What about the big bass tourneys? I doubt a competitor could weigh in a dead bass so what would he do with it? Keep it separate and take it home?

An interesting question for a cold and snowy winter day. Any COs out there?
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 03:00:42 pm »
Just noticed min. length of Largemouth is 15in this year, not 16in. That should help score a few more.

That will help get numbers up here for sure. Suggest do the same for walleye too ? Kinda messes up historical statistics though. You excited about the addition of Utah Chub too ? Just kidding. Always nice to learn and to see another N.A. freshwater specie.
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 03:23:39 pm »
Walleye lower would be great!

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 03:39:30 pm »
Walleye lower would be great!

And damn bullhead and sauger lowered an inch too, would have them on board then ! Doesn't really matter, the quest continues.
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 11:10:21 pm »
I knew they were crunching numbers on the submission data and were going to consider making some changes. Out our way not much changed for min sizes but there are a number of trophy lengths that were adjusted. Some of which would affect you guys too(lakers, brook trout, pike to name a couple).

16 is already a fairly small walleye, you guys are just unfortunate not to have any decent walleye out there I guess. Smaller would be nice though cause then I could fill them super easy in single trips lol.

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 11:33:37 pm »
Not to wander too much off topic on this thread but there's something I've always wondered about. If I'm fishing a catch and release lake and I deep hook a fish such that it's spirit passes to the great beyond, what do I do with it? I violate the C&R reg if I keep it, and I violate a different one if I throw it back in the lake.

A variation of this happened to me in an OKFS event a couple of years ago on a lake that was NOT catch and release but the tournament was. I deep hooked a pike such that it died so I took it back with me to the HQ and explained to Jeff. There was no problem with him but he could make whatever judgment he liked re the tournament since no reg had been violated (I took it home and ate it).

What about the big bass tourneys? I doubt a competitor could weigh in a dead bass so what would he do with it? Keep it separate and take it home?

An interesting question for a cold and snowy winter day. Any COs out there?

In AB our regs clearly state to release it.

You must immediately release every fish that cannot be legally kept because of species, catch limit, size limit or other regulation, without exception, even if the fish is injured or dead.

A quick look at your ON regs looks to be the same.

All fish that are caught unlawfully or are illegal to possess (e.g., during the closed season, of prohibited size, or are in excess of the catch and possession limits) must be immediately released at the place and time of capture. This includes fish that may be injured during catch.

In our walleye tournaments out here if a fish dies the anglers are supposed to keep it as one of their fish and they get 0 points for it. At our kayak tournament AEP asked for dead fish to be kept and submitted to biologist, points still awarded though.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 09:28:33 am »
All fish that are caught unlawfully or are illegal to possess (e.g., during the closed season, of prohibited size, or are in excess of the catch and possession limits) must be immediately released at the place and time of capture. This includes fish that may be injured during catch.

Presumably "injured" includes killed but a lawyer (which I'm not) might argue that this is not clearly stated.

Elsewhere the Ontario regs say:
"It is illegal to: ... abandon fish or permit the flesh to spoil, if the fish is suitable for human consumption."
and later,
"Releasing a fish that will not survive and allowing the flesh of that fish to be wasted is an offence."

As a practical matter, after a quick glance around for a lurking CO, return the dead fish to the lake as chances of getting caught are slim. However, if a CO happens to look in your cooler and see a dead, illegal fish, very shortly you'll be experiencing a serious blow your pro angler savings account regardless of the circumstances surrounding its presence.

I've only been inspected by a CO twice. Once while ice fishing on Cooks Bay (licences only - he wasn't interested in the barrels of perch caught by the group). The other time was at Rondeau Park on Lake Erie. He complimented me on my 18" bass and said he hoped I enjoyed it for dinner, which the missus and I did.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:38:47 am by Red Rocket »
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:42 am »
Presumably "injured" includes killed but a lawyer (which I'm not) might argue that this is not clearly stated.

Elsewhere the Ontario regs say:
"It is illegal to: ... abandon fish or permit the flesh to spoil, if the fish is suitable for human consumption."
and later,
"Releasing a fish that will not survive and allowing the flesh of that fish to be wasted is an offence."

As a practical matter, after a quick glance around for a lurking CO, return the dead fish to the lake as chances of getting caught are slim. However, if a CO happens to look in your cooler and see a dead, illegal fish, very shortly you'll be experiencing a serious blow your pro angler savings account regardless of the circumstances surrounding its presence.

I've only been inspected by a CO twice. Once while ice fishing on Cooks Bay (licences only - he wasn't interested in the barrels of perch caught by the group). The other time was at Rondeau Park on Lake Erie. He complimented me on my 18" bass and said he hoped I enjoyed it for dinner, which the missus and I did.

Yeah that is a little contradictory. My argument would be that the fish wasn't suitable for human consumption(not legal size etc) and that the flesh wasn't wasted as the birds or aquatic nature will feast on it.

The few times I have had it happen I usually try and hold the fish vertical so it fills with water and sinks out of sight lol. In all the fish I have ever caught I have only had maybe a dozen that died before release though so not very common.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 04:41:08 pm »
We like to think that the survival rate of live fish we release is 100% but I wonder what it really is. At least some must die, I would think.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 04:51:12 pm »
I know that I have released Lake Trout before and watched them spiral to the bottom of the lake. I feel bad when it happens, but I'm sure it's not wasted. Something will have an easy meal because of it. We try our best for a live release, but some loss is bound to happen.

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 10:23:15 pm »
We like to think that the survival rate of live fish we release is 100% but I wonder what it really is. At least some must die, I would think.

I have read a few reports and it varies widely depending on a number of factors such as species, technique used, water temp etc.

Fly and lure fishing for most fish seems to be around 3-5%. Bait fishing seems to often be around double that or worse.

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 05:43:38 pm »
Although we are getting a little off topic I will chime in on the release of an injured fish.
I have talked to 3 different Co on this matter and all said the same thing. Let the fish go.
1 if you pill in a oos fish and see it deep hooked or bleeding cut your line. Do not try and remove the hook.
All said having and oos fish trumps the wanted waste of a fish.
Also never "pose" for a pic with a oos fish. You are to let it go as fast as humanly possible

Offline Flyfisher

• Seasoned Angler
  • John 3:16
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 08:03:16 pm »
Although we are getting a little off topic I will chime in on the release of an injured fish.
I have talked to 3 different Co on this matter and all said the same thing. Let the fish go.
1 if you pill in a oos fish and see it deep hooked or bleeding cut your line. Do not try and remove the hook.
All said having and oos fish trumps the wanted waste of a fish.
Also never "pose" for a pic with a oos fish. You are to let it go as fast as humanly possible

That's funny, guys are posing with fish on Kayak Wars out of season. Anything been done?
Ocean Kayak Big Game, Pescator Pro 120, Trident 11

Tags: