Recent

Author Topic: Functional gloves for fishing.  (Read 2875 times)

Offline ZaGhost

• Local Pro
Functional gloves for fishing.
« on: November 02, 2016, 07:17:43 pm »
Hey guys,  wondering what good options are out there for comfy hands in the cooler seasons.
I was out Sunday for a few hours, about 9 degrees,  water temp about 11. I was pretty comfortable in my Level Six pants and jacket, wicking and light insulating layer. Need something better for my feet yet, socks and water shoes over the booties get a bit irritating after a bit. Not as nice as my neoprene socks I wore in the summer. Only real issue I found was the hands,  especially after handling a fish.... sooo what options work best, neoprene gloves?
Current Designs Solara 100

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Re: Functional gloves for fishing.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 07:47:03 pm »
I've been using Sealskinz gloves for years.  They are amazing.
https://www.sealskinz.com/CA/

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 06:19:01 am »
I wear multi sport sensatec gloves made by Head. Cheap and awesome. Costco sells them for $18. They are made out of a neoprene like material so are still warm when they get wet. Fit tight so great for casting and retrieving. The only time I take them off is to change lure. They also work with your touch screens for phone or fishfinder. They fit so well it's like the gloves to a superhero costume :)
Home water is Bay of Quinte!!!!!

https://www.kayakwars.com/angler.php?angler-id=5303
See my Kayak Wars Catches.

Offline Dave

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 06:28:58 am »
I wear multi sport sensatec gloves made by Head. Cheap and awesome. Costco sells them for $18. They are made out of a neoprene like material so are still warm when they get wet. Fit tight so great for casting and retrieving. The only time I take them off is to change lure. They also work with your touch screens for phone or fishfinder. They fit so well it's like the gloves to a superhero costume :)
Which department in Costco can I find them?  Having steelheaded for years, I use the wool fingerless gloves.  I bring a couple pair and change them out if they get wet
Dave
Dave
Woodstock, Ontario
Coosa, Hobie Outback

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 06:37:21 am »
They are in the sports section.They have a women's pair as well for $9.99!
Home water is Bay of Quinte!!!!!

https://www.kayakwars.com/angler.php?angler-id=5303
See my Kayak Wars Catches.

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 09:45:48 am »
Zaghost besides the nice gloves the disposable hand warmer bags great to keep a couple in pockets for extra warmth when needed. Need them when your out in ice cold weather. 

Offline ZaGhost

• Local Pro
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 11:51:05 am »
Looks like a trip to Costo is in order,  thanks for the tip Spyman,  sounds like just the thing for the budget minded  :)

schooter,  those things are great.... too bad Target shut down,  my son worked there an was getting them ultra cheap........

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 12:10:54 pm »
I usually pickup the 10 pack when on sale at Canadian tire for ice fishing also. And perhaps look

Offline ZaGhost

• Local Pro
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 01:21:38 pm »
Ooooh,  will look into the socks... can serve double duty on the bike, though my boots do a pretty good job there.....

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 01:35:28 am »
My hands start getting cold around the freezing mark, my secret is to catch lots of fish because the water is warmer then the air lol.

I still haven't found a nice pair of gloves for fishing with, might have to look at some of the recommended ones though.

Offline Transplant

• CKA TEAM
  • Old School
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 08:02:16 am »
My cold weather gear is pretty simple, and cheap. I have an expensive pair of socks that are super warm, so I layer them up under my dry suit. If it’s really cold, I wear winter boots and just don’t get my feet wet. Not ideal probably, but it works for me. As for hands, I have about 10 pairs of those super cheap tight fitting cotton kids gloves I bought from the dollar store. They’re skin tight and do a surprisingly good job at keeping the hands warm in all but the coldest conditions, and I have lots of extra pairs so when one pair gets wet I change them out. I can retie anything and pretty much have full function with these cheap gloves on. If I need extra warmth, I have a couple pairs of gloves I can wear over the top of the cheap kids gloves, I’ll put them on when I’m not casting or doing stuff that requires use of the hands. And if I need to take them off, I still have the other gloves on so I’m never completely exposed.

And those little hand warmers… they make a big difference. I bought a couple bulk bags of them last year at Winners, worked out to about 50 cents a warmer I think. I’ll be keeping my eye out for more this year.
Truro, Nova Scotia

Ocean Kayak Trident 13
Hobie Outback 'Hank Parker Fishing Edition"

www.nskayakfisher.wordpress.com

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Tags: