Recent

Author Topic: Trolling for Salmon/Trout in Kayak  (Read 4999 times)

Offline BMAC

• Ultra Light
Trolling for Salmon/Trout in Kayak
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:18:18 am »
Just wanted to see how everyone on here accomplishes this... Does anyone actually have a downrigger on their kayak?  First I tried using dipsy divers etc but found they really had a lot of resistance and made paddling a chore... Last summer I bought a clip on weight system ( About 20 feet above the lure) that seems to work pretty well although I really don't have a good bearing on how deep the lure is..  Thoughts??

Offline kiwi

• Local Pro
Re: Trolling for Salmon/Trout in Kayak
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:18:52 am »
I use the Torpedo divers on this site have the green & blue ones, Its still a bit of a guess how deep you are as its hard to maintain a constant speed in a kayak for long. I have a Hobie revolution, the peddle drive is a Major plus and part of the reason I bought the Kayak.
 The advantage of the torpedo is only one line in the water. A lot of guys run the small scotty down riggers with a 2-3lb ball, Change the wire to Dacron, or fireline as less restiance in the water.
 No matter what you do its hard work dragging a couple of plugs, and weights. :P I was able to get down about 40-50 feet, I think! Salmon fishing on the coast and caught 3-4 springs on tomic plugs. ;D Tried flashers they have too much restiance and gave up.
 Have been able to maintain about 3.5-5 km an hour so use lures for correct speed. I vertical jig as well which has worked well at times.
 There are some very deep diving plugs 20-30 feet Rapala's, should work on pike and walleye.
 I see that a lot of salt water fisherman are using softbaits with the big flat tail. they have lots of movement at slower speeds.
 Good Luck.

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 02:16:13 pm »
Im sure you can get these over there, just strap it to the rod and count the depth

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/shakespeare-line-counter~3579.html

Michael
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:08:20 pm »
Here is a link to a thread that speaks about the downriggers. I have 2 riggers spooled with 100# spectra and I have used them a bunch. At first I didnt like using them. I like using them alot now. Not to tough. I have large riggers. Most people use the lake trollers from the kayak. I have 2 that are on scotty gimble mount adapters and are placed behind the seat in flush mount rod holders. Anyways. have a look at this thread. should explain a bunch.
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2274.0.html

Offline Thumper

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:58:04 pm »
I used a cheap 'lake troller' down rigger that plugged into a Scotty mount -for lake trout, but found it a pain to operate. I replaced it by using a light 'line counter' reel on a short, heavy rod, with a 1 lb ball. I just clip my fishing line to that rig and it works great.
Canmore, Alberta
Hobie Nation
P.A. 12
Outback
Adventure Island
Sport

Offline nomad

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 06:18:23 am »
I use em quite a bit by late May/June until Spetember on the Great Lakes.  Usually put out one downrigger line and another on the other side with a dipsey or leadcore.  Both sides kinda balances the boat's pull but does slow it down a fair clip.  In a wind over 15knots, it can become quite a chore to maintain salmon trolling speeds, and if there's waves mixed in then can become next to impossible.
Scotty makes a 150# spectra line in 300' lengths that will help get rid of some of the drag you get from wire.  A 3.5lb ball is too light when trolling in depths over 70', so I switched to a 5lb ball for this year but am yet to use it.

I used to paddle troll but now have a pedal drive and it makes things much simpler.  Still becomes quite an effort when the winds kick up, to maintain speeds over 3mph for hours on end.

Offline BMAC

• Ultra Light
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 06:41:45 pm »
Great Ideas guys... Thanks for the Input!!!

Offline fish or swim

• Ultra Light
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 08:29:40 pm »
Would you consider wire line? 300' of copper gets down 50' to 90'. A stainless steel 'thumper rig' run as a suspended line goes down even faster. 100' out 60 down, 200 out 120 down. These have much less drag than a dipsy or cannonball and are much simpler to run than a downrigger.
Please support Great Lakes United http://www.glu.org/en

Offline BMAC

• Ultra Light
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 10:37:55 am »
What is it like fighting a fish with wire line?  I have never done it but would think it takes away from the fight a bit?

Offline tsquared

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish worship--is it wrong?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 09:18:32 pm »
I am going to use spectra line on my Scotty downrigger which I plan to place behind my seat. Once summer run salmon start I will start using it. We are after halibut right now.
T2
Metchosin BC
(Metchosin is a coast Salish word meaning "stinking fish")

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 09:25:50 pm »
be sure to let us know how that works out for you T2

Offline fish or swim

• Ultra Light
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 08:21:26 pm »
What is it like fighting a fish with wire line?  I have never done it but would think it takes away from the fight a bit?

The sinker on the thumper rig might take away from the fight a little. But besides that wire is like no other type of line. Wire doesn't have any stretch at all and you will feel everything the fish is doing.

Wire does have a steep learning curve and special rods. After 'the getting used to it part' it adds a big thrill to catching fish.
Please support Great Lakes United http://www.glu.org/en

Tags: