Recent

Author Topic: Paddles...Please enlighten me :)  (Read 3319 times)

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Paddles...Please enlighten me :)
« on: May 30, 2008, 07:00:50 pm »
So I know there are alot of guys out there that have paddled more than I have...Im a rookie kayaker...Fisherman convert...Lately Ive been considering getting myself a decent paddle...When I say this I mean something over 300$ or so...I bought the standard carlisle magics and a couple bending branches for my guests but I use these and feel the bend and sort of desire something a bit better now...Have never used anything expensive and want to hear someone explain the feel they get off theirs...So can someone tell me why a paddle would be worth 300$+?

Offline Don

• Local Pro
Re: Paddles...Please enlighten me :)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:35:16 pm »
Jeff, typically the lighter the paddle the pricier they are.  Most are made of carbon fiber which is more expensive to manufacture than conventional component materials. 

Plus most american retailers know you have all kinds of hard earned canuck bucks to spend Jeff.  Where else would you spend it? IKEA QCI?  :P

Don

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:40:47 pm »
HAHA!!!!
 ;D

So are these paddles more bendy then the fiberglass ones? Like if Im pealing cause I have to is the pickup gonna be evident?

Offline polepole

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 12:47:51 pm »
Jeff, I assume your talking about the basic Magic and not the fiberglass one.

IMO, you'll take a big step up going to fiberglass.  If you are noticing the bend not, just try a full fiberglass paddle.  Night and day.  You can get one sub $200.  After that it's just gravy ... a few ounces here and there, and throw in a carbon fiber buzzword to catch the eyes of the gearheads.  Don't get me wrong, if you got the scratch, belly up to the $300 paddles, but you get the biggest bang for your buck by going to fiberglass.

-Allen

Offline Espiga

• Local Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 10:43:35 am »
I've never had a carbon fiber paddle, but I agree with Allen that going to a fully fiberglass paddle is a BIG improvement over one's with Aluminum shafts.  (I know the brand, Carlisle, but not the model...maybe Allen knows, he has several ;))  Another benefit with fiberglass verse Aluminum, is when not wearing gloves it is much more comfortable...Aluminum gets cold

-Jessee

Offline polepole

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:18:30 pm »
Carlisle has both a fiberglass Magic and the Enchantment.  I have a bunch of the Enchantments and they are a fine paddle IMO.

-Allen

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 06:59:10 pm »
K I dont see the ones I have being sold anymore...They are fiberglass but Im not liking them...They bend a bunch and when I have an offshore wind and I have to paddle hard I felt a couple of times they would break...So the enchantments are pretty good? I will check them out...Pole and Espiga...Try and bring your paddles...If you can...Or else I will have what looks to be the equivelant to what is given when you buy the angler packages through OKayak...If thats cool with you guys for the trip then dont worry about it...

Offline polepole

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:13:47 am »
OK.  I'll had already planned on bringing my paddle.  Don't leave home without it!!!

I got a Lendal Kinetic Touring ... crank shaft, carbon fiber, 4 piece. 

-Allen

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:15:39 am »
K quit talking about your shaft

Tags: