Recent

Author Topic: 2016 Border City Classic - Report  (Read 5073 times)

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
2016 Border City Classic - Report
« on: June 28, 2016, 08:17:06 am »
The weather, fishing, and people were great.  Couldn't have picked a more deserving winner in Dave Poole.  He also scored Big Bass and at $570 added to his winnings of $1,350 for 1st along with the $1,200 to go towards his trip to the Hobie Worlds.

The USA vs Canada Challenge looked tense after Day 1 with a tie of 60.25 inches for both countries, with the strong winds from the south favoring the Canadian side of the lake, Dave and a few others made it a slaughter on day 2, 61.25 to 57.75 inches. Keeping the streak alive on the Challenge Cup Trophy.

With a drop of almost 20% participation from last year's BCC, probably due to the two day format, I will be sending out a survey for all participants to fill out, looking for thoughts on possible changes that will draw more people to the event.  In order to keep the BCC as a world qualifier we have to continue to have the higher participation.

There were some lessons learned with iAngler during the weekend and have already thought of ideas of how to improve the process that will eliminate potential issues.

Thanks for all that continue to show up and make the BCC a successful event.

http://www.ianglertournament.com/tournament/leaderboard/861?day=06%2F25%2F2016&dayEnd=06%2F26%2F2016

Story from Hobiecat.

http://www.hobiecat.com/blog/hobie-fishing-world-championship-qualifiers-win-cross-border-bass-duel,543/

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
Re: 2016 Border City Classic - Report
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:03:39 am »
Great show again Rich !

Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:05:23 am »
Sounds like a good time.

As for participation I had been looking into rules and had played with an idea of trying to get down there but there were a few things that kept me from doing so and might have kept some other long distance guys out.

First of all it was hard finding the rules and I believe the set I found although it mentioned BCC wasn't 100% correct as they were written for the other tournaments as well and for example it said only LMB count I believe. It would have been nice to have a clear set of rules on the BCC website so people know what they are getting into, I know lots probably wouldn't have found the rules I found.

The one week no prefishing rule was the big reason I gave up on thinking about coming out. Having never really fished for bass or fished the area I would have been at a huge disadvantage and with no prefishing allowed would never have stood a chance. You must have some reason for the rule but it really screws things up for people that don't live in the area and that might have played into some of the other long distance peoples minds about making the trip out there.

The 2 day event might have had something to do with it as well but I am guessing it just came down to peoples availability. Was the entry fee higher this year being 2 day? That could have played into it as well.

Anyways if you change the prefishing rule I might try to figure out a way out there next year. Would like to meet a bunch of you guys out that way and would love a chance to qualify for the Hobie Worlds. Too bad there are no qualifying tournaments out west now, at 3,100 kms the BCC is the closest one to me...

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 11:32:58 am »
Because of the 2 day event and the relationship with the KATS - Midwest series in Michigan, the 2016 BCC had a rules overhaul.  Once the rules were established a couple weeks ago they were very accessible at http://bordercityclassic.org   In past years the rules were established for months ahead of the event.  The event was always a LM and SM Bass event.  Pre-fishing is also a contention with most(bass season opens 4th Saturday in June in Zone 19) and I have contacted the MNR in Ontario asking why Zone 19 (where BCC is held in Ontario water) has a week later Bass season than Eastern Ontario where the Spawn is later than in Zone 19.  All I got was a BS answer from the director from MNR which only proves that like everything else in Ontario it is perceived that west of London is considered the AS__L of Ontario.  Considering the same body of water LSC , has had a C&R season on the Michigan side since 2005 without any reduction in the Bass poplulation which has been monitored by both the Michigan DNR and University of Michigan, the Ontario MNR needs to wake up.

There will be a survey handed out to the participants with some of these questions and how they feel of moving the event back a week in order to allow pre-fishing.  Falling on the July 1st long weekend may or may not help the attendance.  Hopefully either way we can get the pre-fishing sorted out with a solution and it would also draw more Americans to participate on the Ontario side of LSC if they were allowed to prefish.

At $90 for pre-registration and $110 after it is still cheaper than most tournaments for what your are getting.  A full dinner on Saturday night, using the iAngler App and we still donated $1,180.00 to Make-A-Wish from the raffle of the sponsored donated prizes.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:35:19 am by PikeCreek »

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 12:17:09 pm »
I must have been looking at the website just before you put the rules up because they weren't there when I was looking and it was around 2-3 weeks ago. Guessing you will have things hashed out better next year, needs to be up for a couple months imo especially to try and draw guys like myself that live on the other side of the world lol.

I didn't realize the lake was still closed to fishing, I guess that makes prefishing difficult. I was commenting specifically on a rule that was on kats website saying no prefishing the week prior but I see it was allowed on the USA side of BCC this year? Either way to draw people from other areas that haven't fished the lake before they will probably want to prefish especially if it is going to cost them a lot to get there.

As for switching to the July long weekend. Long weekends are always tough because people will have other potential plans, Mike is holding the Eastslope tournament this weekend so will see how it goes for him but I think he will be seeing less participation instead of more like he was hoping for but I could be wrong. That said a 2 day tournament can work well on a long weekend, first day have prefishing, get together, rule meeting and maybe the dinner etc then 2 days of fishing. If it is a whole long weekend event people will show up but you have to remember you are competing with family plans etc so it has to be top notch. It also needs to be set and finalised by Christmas so people know about it and don't make other plans, heck maybe even before Christmas for the guys that need to figure out an excuse to get out of yearly family get togethers lol.

If you want to know why people didn't show up you should send surveys to the people that came last year but skipped this year. They are the ones that would be able to tell you if changes made were the reason they didn't come or if they just couldn't make it.

Good luck, it looks like you already run quite the tournament out there. Like I say if things go right maybe I can try to figure out a way to make it out next year.

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:45:29 pm »
As usual a big hats off to Richard and wife Julie for taking on this event year after year. Always plenty of prizes and great together for different walks of life. I have personally fished this event from day one 6 years ago. Alot has changed since then with more tourneys held week after week. Ontario and Michigan tourneys competing for a limited amount of anglers. The prefishing really has never been a personal big deal. Seasons closed till that weekend and everyone on same playing field unless they fish Michigan side of lake. Tyler you never have a problem catching fish here. Plenty of guys like myself that would go outta there way to provide you with assistance and spots you could hit. Remember plenty of newbies that fished previously in this event with little or no knowledge for last 6 years. I personally have been a catalyst for this tourney and other get togethers since i began fishing outta yak since 2008. Plenty of those same top guys from around my parts got help /invites and hotspot info from personal outings. The decline this year in attendance was due to 4 guys now in boats or selling yak. 3 working . And 3 not interested in tourneys anymore . All these guys were personally invited like others to go to event by myself . I personally invite you down nextbyear like i did 2 years ago with Curtis and Brent. Hope to see u come down. The proudest moment this year was hanging out with young Spencer and assisting him out for last couple months fishing for different fish and spots to go. He came in 10 th place and fished near me most of time with no fancy rods,no fish finder and little knowledge of fishing bass. Fishing most of time is a game of odds with catching big fish 

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 01:17:03 pm »
I must have been looking at the website just before you put the rules up because they weren't there when I was looking and it was around 2-3 weeks ago. Guessing you will have things hashed out better next year, needs to be up for a couple months imo especially to try and draw guys like myself that live on the other side of the world lol.

I didn't realize the lake was still closed to fishing, I guess that makes prefishing difficult. I was commenting specifically on a rule that was on kats website saying no prefishing the week prior but I see it was allowed on the USA side of BCC this year? Either way to draw people from other areas that haven't fished the lake before they will probably want to prefish especially if it is going to cost them a lot to get there.

As for switching to the July long weekend. Long weekends are always tough because people will have other potential plans, Mike is holding the Eastslope tournament this weekend so will see how it goes for him but I think he will be seeing less participation instead of more like he was hoping for but I could be wrong. That said a 2 day tournament can work well on a long weekend, first day have prefishing, get together, rule meeting and maybe the dinner etc then 2 days of fishing. If it is a whole long weekend event people will show up but you have to remember you are competing with family plans etc so it has to be top notch. It also needs to be set and finalised by Christmas so people know about it and don't make other plans, heck maybe even before Christmas for the guys that need to figure out an excuse to get out of yearly family get togethers lol.

If you want to know why people didn't show up you should send surveys to the people that came last year but skipped this year. They are the ones that would be able to tell you if changes made were the reason they didn't come or if they just couldn't make it.

Good luck, it looks like you already run quite the tournament out there. Like I say if things go right maybe I can try to figure out a way to make it out next year.

Yes, I had planned on sending to past participants.  I didn't realize the Eastslope is this weekend.  It will be interesting to see how it makes out this weekend.  I would have firm plans before Christmas in order to give people time to make plans.   We lifted the pre-fishing ban on the US side (as per KATS rules) to try and entice out of towners.  It did get a few.   We have had several participants enter the BCC in past years and this year that have never fished LSC and done quite well.  The Lake doesn't really have any secrets and Dave Poole who won this year's event fished in one of the busiest areas with several kayak anglers and powerboats. 

I do appreciate your comments Tyler, as it does make us aware of issues that keep people form registering.

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 01:50:16 pm »

I thought about making the trip again and would have if it was still a one day event, but couldn't afford more time of having just come back from Northern Sask and the Eastslope this weekend,having to fly out immediately after on Sunday didn't appeal to me.
 As for the cost, Tyler it would only cost about as much as a few of your trips all over the province, think with hotel for 2 nights flights and free camping for a couple nights, it was only around $800 booked well in advance. & well worth the cost to take part in such a great event. I know I'll be going back.
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 03:12:57 pm »
I thought about making the trip again and would have if it was still a one day event, but couldn't afford more time of having just come back from Northern Sask and the Eastslope this weekend,having to fly out immediately after on Sunday didn't appeal to me.
 As for the cost, Tyler it would only cost about as much as a few of your trips all over the province, think with hotel for 2 nights flights and free camping for a couple nights, it was only around $800 booked well in advance. & well worth the cost to take part in such a great event. I know I'll be going back.

Yeah cost wise it wouldn't be that bad. I think flights were around $500 and then I would have tried to bum a kayak and a couch lol.  Still pricey compared to most of my trips though, I usually only spend 50-100 bucks each trip, that is how I afford to go every weekend lol. 

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 04:53:54 pm »
Sounds like it was once again a great event. Atleast this year the weather was on your side.

After talking with a few guys who have attended the bcc I had every intention on going this year. However after reading into the event I decided to hold off this year. The main reason for me was the 2day event. Being a 8hr drive either I would have to take 2 days off work or be a tired bag of crap trying to drive after and before work.
Not being able to prefish kinda sucks aswell. Many have fished the water before and atleast have a clue as to where and what to do.
If it returns to a one day event I'm in for sure next year, but still might try and make it even of it is a 2day. Have heard nothing but good news about the tournament and would love to attend.

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 07:49:19 pm »
This was my first year fishing this tournament.If you have some experience fishing,you should have no problem catching fish on Lake St. Clair. I managed to fill my card both days,and smallies are not a fish I target often. I also had 3 musky on but didn't land them, one I'm sure was a tiger. I also caught 2 pike and a drum. This is a great lake.I plan on hitting again for musky someday. I've fished a few tournaments over the years and this one was by far the best organized I've  attended. Richard and his wife and daughter make sure you are taken care of . I'll be attending next year.
Home water is Bay of Quinte!!!!!

https://www.kayakwars.com/angler.php?angler-id=5303
See my Kayak Wars Catches.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 08:37:06 pm »
A lot of analysis going on here so I'm just going to throw my 2 cts worth in as well.
  • first and foremost, it is definitely not expensive. $90 includes the banquet, free camping, and maybe a draw prize or two, including a chance at a new Hobie Outback and/or a Kokotat drysuit. Nobody got shortchanged here no matter where they placed. I probably spent more than $90 on gas and beer.
  • stop thinking tournament and instead think, "kayak fishing festival", with a tournament attached. Where else in Canada (or the US too, for that matter) can you go and meet 100 other yakfishing addicts. One guy fly fished both days from his home crafted, cedar strip SIK that has to be seen to be believed. Gorgeous machine, Allan.
  • for us in Ontario the decision to go/not go is simply whether we want to. If you're in Alberta it's a bit more complicated (and expensive) but only you can make that decision. One thing is for sure, you won't be disappointed if you can afford the dinero and make the trip
  • think positive. The only things in life I've regretted are the things I didn't do, never the ones I did.

Bring it on again, Rich!
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Dave

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 05:51:47 am »
A big thanks to Rich and Julie and all the others involved for putting on a first class event.  I have gone every year and it is very good value especially if you live within a few hours of the event.  We normally leave after work on Friday and then take at least an extra day to do some social fishing and unwind.  Nothing wrong with making it a 3 or 4 day weekend.  Lots of guys will help put you on fish.  I fished grubs to find the fish, then tubes when you thought the big girls where around.  Also you can troll to find some fish then work the area once you get one.

If you have a little luck you could win a new Hobie Kayak, Kokatat Suit or a chance to represent Canada at the Hobie Worlds.  I got lucky and had 4 big bass bite and landed 3 of them.  I was eating a sandwich, drifting along and I went over a big rock.  I marked it on my gps and ended up hooking 3 of the biggest fish there, so it isn't all skill :)
Give the BCC some serious thought for next year!
Dave
Dave
Woodstock, Ontario
Coosa, Hobie Outback

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 08:57:17 am »
I say finding spots within a spot is skill.
A big congratulations to you Dave.
Looking forward to fishing with ( and "against" ) you at Quinte.

Brent
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 10:49:25 am »
I say finding spots within a spot is skill.
A big congratulations to you Dave.
Looking forward to fishing with ( and "against" ) you at Quinte.

Brent

Its a skill some of these guys obviously take for granted. I would have never marked a big rock like Dave did, simply because none of our species relate to rocks like bass do. That is why a guy like me needs to have a couple days prefishing because I have watched videos on catching bass but that only helps so much and if you are trying to learn on the spot you will waste a lot of potential fishing time.

Tags: