Recent

Author Topic: Hobie Bass Open Results.  (Read 3581 times)

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Hobie Bass Open Results.
« on: June 06, 2016, 07:12:12 am »
Results can be found here:
http://ianglertournament.com/tournament/leaderboard/668
Looks like the Canadian boys did well.
Richard (PikeCreek) Placed 7th.
I see that Tim, Rick, Derek also made the trip down. 

How was the fishing guys?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:41:50 am by John Gibson »

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Spyman48

• Seasoned Angler
Re: Hobie Bass Open Results.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:20:24 am »
I think your just looking  at the last day,not the 2 day total. Richard is 7th,Tim 46th,Brian 60th,Rick 64th,Daniel 67th,Derick 80th. Must have been a tough tourny as bottom 12 didn't log any fish over 2 days.
Home water is Bay of Quinte!!!!!

https://www.kayakwars.com/angler.php?angler-id=5303
See my Kayak Wars Catches.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:42:25 am »
Yes, you are right. I fixed my original post. thank you for that. 

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Boknows

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:25:22 pm »
Tell ya what...that was the most interesting 4 days of fishing I've ever done....way different than home bass for sure...learned a great deal, fishing was tough with many guys catching only one or two...Ledge fishing is something that I spent some time on to learn but it is not an easy thing to do on such a huge body of water...I've never seen so many Ranger bass boats in my life...literally every other truck on the road was pulling an $80,000 bass boat...but also have to say they were all very courteous to all of us in Kayaks...Got the opportunity to meet a couple pro's that were staying in the cabin next to us...it was so cool, he was way more interested in what we do in kayaks in a tourney than I really expected...Jason Reyes in the FLW tour....he came over to us as we were packing up and spent well over an hour asking questions about kayak fishing...Really cool guy...I'll be back next year and i'll be in a better position to fish those ledges...experience in this tourney will be an asset for sure.  Thanks for checking in on us! 
Windsor, Ontario

If your not livin on the edge, your takin up too much space!

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 11:12:07 pm »
OK, I'm officially stumped. Why are there Ranger boats at the Hobie Bass Open?
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Boknows

• Old School
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 08:43:06 am »
They were there doing their own thing...this is a huge lake and bass is on the menu...didn't mean to infer they were part of our tourney....Everyone and their brother has a bass boat!  This lake holds hundreds of tourneys a year...I think there were another 5-6 going on while we had ours...
Windsor, Ontario

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 03:23:48 pm »
Amazing! You'd think the bass wouldn't bite at all. They must be wearing body armour and helmets as protection against getting concussions from being bopped on the head with lures.  :)
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Boknows

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 04:21:51 pm »
you would think that Don but I was honestly amazed on how big this lake is...over 200 miles long...and about a mile wide to two miles wide in some parts plus all the little bays and cuts...it's HUGE...awesome place to fish though...learned a ton!
Windsor, Ontario

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 08:20:46 am »
Since we stayed an extra day to go out and take another crack at the ledges on Monday morning, pack up and relax after 6 straight days of fishing Kentucky Lake, just got home Tuesday night.

I think the pro Rick got to meet and chat with might have been fishing this week's FLW event.   We saw a line up of pros at the launch starting at 5am Monday morning going out for their pre-fishing.  There were over 100 boats fishing 2 different events from the Kentucky Dam Village during the Hobie Bass Open this past Saturday and Sunday and several other events launching from other places on Kentucky Lake.

My 3rd trip to this event was extra special since my wife Julie (and Bailey) made the trip.  We arrived Tuesday May 31st and departed Tuesday June 7th.  Brian and Holly Arnold made the trip with us (Brian's First HBO) and it was great to spend time with our wives and friends that also made the trip, Craig Wright, Tim Percy, Dan Doyle, Rick Beauchamp, Derek Whidden, from Ontario, Lucian, Gizel, (Nancy), Jeff Sherwood, Paul Biediger, and Dave Lesar from Michigan, that all stayed in the same Kentucky Dam Village Cottages.

Fishing Kentucky Lake, one of the top Bass Lakes in North America, will help you to appreciate fishing Lake St. Clair.  My first trip to Kentucky Lake two years ago was the only time that the fishing was easy with double figure catch days.  Since then we have had to work for every fish caught. 

Four of us set out on the last pre-fish day to try and figure out the ledges, something I had not really spent much time doing on previous trips.  Tim Percy, Dave Lesar, Brian Arnold and myself spread out over several miles  on a portion of the lake about two or three miles from the dam, hoping to find some productive ledges.  With only a few fish caught we decided that we would spend our competition days fishing a certain area, less than a half mile from a nice easy launch that wasn't too busy. 

After day one, Brian and I found ourselves in contention placing in the top 10 going into day two.  Day two proved to be even tougher than day one and with only 6 legitimate bites, landing 4 fish it was enough for me to finish at a two day, six fish total of 100 inches, good enough for 7th place.   

Even though the fishing seems to be pretty challenging on Kentucky Lake, it is rewarding when you do find fish and are able to compete with over 100 of the best Kayak Anglers from the US.  The Hobie Bass Open has become one of the Premier events in the US, and 2nd to none for the organization and atmosphere from the Hobiecat Hosts.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:56:13 am by PikeCreek »

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 08:42:24 am »
Correction:

... and 2nd to only the BCC for organization and atmosphere.

Thanks for the report, Rich, and nice to see so many familiar names were able to make the trip. Well done to all.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 09:14:36 am »
Way to represent guys.
Did you catch any  Spots in Kentucky Lake, or are they even in there ?
Cong on the new PB largie Rich !
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 11:08:25 am »
Brent, I think Rick may have caught a Spotted.   Check out his FB post and maybe you can confirm.  He thought it was a LM and Derek called it a Kentucky Spotted.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline Boknows

• Old School
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 02:09:59 pm »
although I'm likely wrong...I think it was a Large mouth...but Derek is positive it's a spotted...Either way, it was a fun fish to catch!!
Windsor, Ontario

Offline Dave

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 06:41:35 am »
Sounds like a great trip!  Nice that you are learning the ledges,  bet there are lots of waypoints popping up on your fishfinders.  Would love to fish Kentucky lake one year
Dave
Dave
Woodstock, Ontario
Coosa, Hobie Outback

Tags: