Recent

Author Topic: Annual Moutcha Bay Resort Kayak Salmon Derby - Labour Day Weekend!  (Read 3864 times)

Offline NMAToraar

• Greenhorn
Our 12th Annual Kayak Salmon Derby at Moutcha Bay Resort is taking place this Labour Day weekend in Nootka Sound, on Vancouver Island.

We are just finalizing the travel arrangements for Jim Sammons & his film crew to join us to film an episode of the Kayak Fishing Show at the event, and the Grand Prize is a brand new Jackson Kraken!

www.nootkamarineadventures.com

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:22:51 pm by John Gibson »

Offline albertan-yaker

• Local Pro
Re: Annual Moutcha Bay Resort Kayak Salmon Derby - Labour Day Weekend!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 03:54:48 pm »
Can't wait !!!... hopefully this prairie boy can get that Kraken!
..." don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself, He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard "

Hobie Outback 2014
Hobie Pro Angler 2016

Danocustomrods.com

Offline justfishing

• Greenhorn
  • A bad day fishing better than a good days work
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 01:04:03 pm »
I'm still procrastinating on this event. Would love to go but have never fished salt water so wouldn't have a clue. Never know though...might just bite the bullet and book myself in..
2015 Hobie Outback

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 01:13:35 pm »
I'm still procrastinating on this event. Would love to go but have never fished salt water so wouldn't have a clue. Never know though...might just bite the bullet and book myself in..

Once  you start fishing saltwater you wont want to go back to Freshwater very often.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 02:01:52 pm »
Once  you start fishing saltwater you wont want to go back to Freshwater very often.

Unless you live in AB lol.

Going to see how life plays out the next little bit but might end up heading out with albertan-yaker.

Offline albertan-yaker

• Local Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 06:42:44 pm »
 I've never fished Salmon from a Kayak ... but there's some great info. on the net in regards to this topic and I have already booked my camp-site at Moutcha bay and have been bending ears of the guides and office staff and they have said its quite easy during this time ( mostly Jigging ( Chinook ) and High water column trolling ( Coho ) ) I have a bit of an advantage as I have booked off my whole work week for this and will be practising different techniques before  the Tourney... Hope it pans out... may even try Halibut/Lingcod and or the Tyee Pool in CR.

I'll keep trying my techniques out on the damn Lake trout out here in AB... lol
..." don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself, He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard "

Hobie Outback 2014
Hobie Pro Angler 2016

Danocustomrods.com

Offline albertan-yaker

• Local Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 06:43:50 pm »

DO IT!!

Hobie Outback 2014
Hobie Pro Angler 2016

Danocustomrods.com

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 10:12:14 am »
... may even try Halibut/Lingcod and or the Tyee Pool in CR.

I think you could qualify for the Tyee Club in a kayak but there are strict regulations regarding tackle allowed and area restriction. I'd like to see someone do it. Check the website.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline albertan-yaker

• Local Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 12:52:19 pm »
... may even try Halibut/Lingcod and or the Tyee Pool in CR.

I think you could qualify for the Tyee Club in a kayak but there are strict regulations regarding tackle allowed and area restriction. I'd like to see someone do it. Check the website.

I've actually been talking with the Vice president of the club as I wanted to see if I used my paddle ( Instead of the mirage drive ) if I could be considered if I followed all the other rules for entry. Apparently the Clubs committee is looking into this as this was brought up by many other anglers this last year (2015). I believe as the great sport of Kayak fishing is growing this is being taken pretty serious as a change to the rules.

The strict rules of the tackle to be used is a no issue as its pretty much the gear I would have used ( Minus a dodger ).

His answer was, "I would not be eligible as the rules state right now, but will be notified of the Committees decision"

I will Honour whatever decision that the committee comes too, but I feel after the few talks with he VP, he was not really keen on Kayaks being an expectable vessel for the Qualification.

His reasoning and words " ... if when a fish is Hooked up, FISH ON is yelled, when this occurs... all nearby boats bring in their lines...to prevent tangling...guide and fisherman playing the fish are obliged to  Row out to an area that they can play the fish without fear of entanglement...the problem is some manually propelled craft have rudders or in some cases even have a manually foot operated pedals that have a "windmill" type contraption"

( Pause to laugh at "Windmill contraption" ) They fear that the mirage drive and rudders would cause line breakages while playing a fish ... I really don't see this being that BIG of a issue, I guess we'll see.

They don't own the Water around the Tyee pool, so I'll just catch a 60 pounder and not take it to the club for weighing    ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 12:56:52 pm by albertan-yaker »

Hobie Outback 2014
Hobie Pro Angler 2016

Danocustomrods.com

Tags: