Recent

Author Topic: A Glimmer of Hope  (Read 8783 times)

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
A Glimmer of Hope
« on: December 28, 2015, 03:15:35 pm »
Looks like some hope for KW 2016.

http://www.kayakwars.com/

May the force be with you in 2016.  :)
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
Re: A Glimmer of Hope
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 05:09:23 pm »
sure, sure...
and prizes have been in the mail since OZs last post in October...

Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 10:17:10 am »
The way it reads makes me believe he still has not found a buyer.
Oz is asking in the area of 20k for the site. Imo it is not worth it.
From what i understand he has a few offers for much less also a few ppl willing to run the site for him with him keeping ownership, and receiving a royalty off the entry fees.
No matter what direction the site take i believe it will only be pay to enter next year. I personally am fine with that i just hope that there will still be a large number of entries.
Hopefully oz has not tarnished the kayak wars name to bad and ppl will still enter after new management.

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 04:42:48 pm »
I think the great and powerful Oz has bit off more than he can chew the last 2 years. You cant continually out right lie to people and expect them to respect you.Daily posts on his personal pages gave him away months ago. Plenty of guys on this forum came out to support the site and many with words of encouragement to get a big song and dance at end of year. And look we are in the same position of where we left off at again. Promises and lies. Where does this leave the site who knows?

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 06:19:56 pm »
Maybe a look at the glass half full instead of half empty. I think that EEF's post is looking at the positive side of things.  We already know how some of you feel towards OZ. 

He has acknowledged that he is over his head, and looking for someone to take it over and run it the way it should be run 

Time to stop beating a dead horse!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:22:37 pm by PikeCreek »

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline Dave

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 05:01:13 pm »
Hope it is a go again for next year!  Don't care too much about the prizes...  Love competing against myself to go out and catch fish big enough to count and improve on the previous season in one way or another.
Dave
Dave
Woodstock, Ontario
Coosa, Hobie Outback

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 10:26:39 am »
Maybe a look at the glass half full instead of half empty. I think that EEF's post is looking at the positive side of things.  We already know how some of you feel towards OZ. 

He has acknowledged that he is over his head, and looking for someone to take it over and run it the way it should be run 

Time to stop beating a dead horse!

YES, for the love of Pete, stop.
Hope it is a go again for next year!  Don't care too much about the prizes...  Love competing against myself to go out and catch fish big enough to count and improve on the previous season in one way or another.
Dave

I think people miss the point of this whole thing and get hung up on what someone can give them instead of what they can do to contribute to the greater good.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Homebrew76

• Seasoned Angler
  • Cheers!
    • NB Kayak Fishing Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 01:15:12 pm »
If I could do it I would quit my job as a software engineer, attempt to take over KW and turn it into something I could make a portion of a reasonable salary from.  Then seek out other ways to earn money promoting this industry (including a lot of travel and fishing), and then at the end of the day have a full workload, but an income comparable to my current income, and a life of working in and promoting the sport.

I have no idea if such a life would even be possible, or if my wife would divorce me after the first month... but it would be awesome!

That said, I am way too much of a wimp when it comes to financial insecurities so there is no way I'd be quitting my job for essentially a dream.. not today!

Offline Boknows

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 04:02:42 pm »
I really wanted to stay out of this post but I've read through the comments several times and thought i'd chime in with this thought...This forum is made up of individuals, not clones...we all have our own thoughts, or our beliefs, tolerances, bitches, gripes, complaints, loves, desires, you get the point.  If Curtis, Joe or whoever believe they got beat and screwed by KW, then my opinion is I respect that thought that they have those feelings and issues....in the same breath, I say...If Rich, John or whoever says they are happy with KW for different reasons whatever they are, I respect that as their thoughts and feelings....I look at this forum as a place to hear different thoughts, different perspectives etc so I can make my decisions with some input, good or bad.  I approach fishing for different reasons than anyone else, because I'm an individual.  Nobody on this forum or any forum for that point is the end all, be all etc....There is merit to everyone's opinion...that after all is all it is...an opinion.  Play nice friends, respect each others opinions...because when you post your's, it may not be the one everyone agree's with...we are all subject to that!  Happy New Year, may 2016 be a year of friendship, fishing and most of all safe kayaking!!!
Windsor, Ontario

If your not livin on the edge, your takin up too much space!

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 03:02:21 pm »
Msg from kw on the facebook page incase any one missed it

Thanks to everyone that has and had participated the KW over the years. It is has been an adventure and are excited toward breathing new life back into the event as Kayak Wars looks to continue on (responsibly) with new owners/management. Kayak Wars will be completely fresh and newly operated, with no involvement from previous organizers. We are still concluding the 2015 year and analyzing stats. In addition, we are still in the process of sending out previously pending packages which shipping-wise has been costly on our end. Nonetheless, all pending packages will be sent. While we have not completely narrowed down a specific individual/entity to take over KW, expect the transition to happen very soon. Kayak Wars 2016 will not happen unless it goes to a good responsible home. If you are interested in taking over the event, you may contact us while we are still considering all other offers/options. Thanks to everyone for their patience, understanding, and commitment in the kayak fishing world!

Offline rocketball

• Old School
  • Native Watercraft SLayer Propel 13
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 06:43:33 am »
Dave

I am with Dave on this one....I don't do KW for a prize! My prize is each and every fish I catch. KW is a cool way to track what I catch and have fun seeing what others catch from far away!

Hopefully KW is still around next year!

Offline Flyfisher

• Seasoned Angler
  • John 3:16
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 06:45:46 am »
Yup, not about prizes for me either :P just like kicking some of your butts that's all ::)

No joking! Would be nice just to have the software so we could just track everything we catch and be able to share with everyone else what and were and how! Its just about having fun to me. had a bad season this past, surgery this winter :P then back in my kayak to kick some butt this year! Kick my butt that is, lets all get out there this year and take our kids and introduce a new friend to kayak fishing in the 2016 season. I have 6 trips already set with new anglers!

So whatever your 2016 season holds good for you and paddle On!
Play safe Brothers and sisters!
Blessings,
Ocean Kayak Big Game, Pescator Pro 120, Trident 11

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 08:41:55 am »
The hope seems to be diminishing, been no updates for a while.
Would be a pity to see KW disappear.

Figure enough anglers would be willing to pay $10-20 annually to record
and log their catches, and this would be enough revenue to run the site.
There's value there and is why I still believe KW will survive.

Guess a new owner may be tempted to revamp the kayakman gold points format,
and perhaps refresh career stats too ? That was a fairly big thing for me and  others
to finally get on the top 40 career points and total inches list last year. A review of records would
be nice too, with obvious flawed entries removed.

Here's to hoping and watching what happens in the next while.
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 09:33:18 am »
Update. Oz sent me an email to confirm my mailing address. I believe prizes are on there way from 2014. Last years totals and and final stats im sure will be after that. As for new owner no clues. Facebook is only way to get updates on site

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 09:36:51 am »
The hope seems to be diminishing, been no updates for a while.
Would be a pity to see KW disappear.

Figure enough anglers would be willing to pay $10-20 annually to record
and log their catches, and this would be enough revenue to run the site.
There's value there and is why I still believe KW will survive.

Guess a new owner may be tempted to revamp the kayakman gold points format,
and perhaps refresh career stats too ? That was a fairly big thing for me and  others
to finally get on the top 40 career points and total inches list last year. A review of records would
be nice too, with obvious flawed entries removed.

Here's to hoping and watching what happens in the next while.

Forget the prizes, I would pay $10/$15 to have my yearly catch recorded.  Forget the Goldman Points, too complicated and would simplify the program.  Clean up the records, not allowing exaggerations and inaccurate pictures.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Tags: