Recent

Author Topic: Native Watercraft Slayer Propels Greatest Strength  (Read 6571 times)

Offline rocketball

• Old School
  • Native Watercraft SLayer Propel 13
Native Watercraft Slayer Propels Greatest Strength
« on: December 20, 2015, 07:38:12 am »
So many things I love about the Slayer propel and a few that could be improved. However the ability to stay on a specific spot is what sets this kayak apart from most!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugskvsNxW2w

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
Re: Native Watercraft Slayer Propels Greatest Strength
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 02:03:34 pm »
I am still torn between this yak and a hobie for next season

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 04:10:06 pm »
I have a Mirage Outback and am not likely to change so am somewhat biased but the ability to back up is definitely a terrific feature. On the other hand the mirage drive fins can be easily positioned flat against the hull in shallow water or weeds to allow instant paddling. It's great that the manufacturers are continually developing new systems giving us alternatives to consider.

No matter which pedal propulsion system you use one drawback is that you have to be constantly aware of the water depth to avoid damaging the drive. I hit a rock with my front fin a couple of years ago and bent the mast. Just removed it later, bent the mast back close to straight again, and was back in action. Never had to do anything else to modify or improve this jerry-rigged solution.

I ordered the bigger fins when I bought my Outback and never regretted it. I keep the original small fins in my emergency bag that's with me at all times in the yak. Hope I never have to use them but they're always there.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline rocketball

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 04:45:34 pm »
Lets not turn this into a Hobie vs Propel debate...that cat has been beat to death lol. I will say that as far as I know the Hobie is the better option if speed is a concern. However if you want to stay locked onto certain spots than having the reverse is a hug benefit.

Otownyaker I know exactly what your going through. Honestly u cant go wrong with ether purchase.

I will mention that I have wacked the propel off a loot of rocks last summer and never damaged anything. I love how there is a skeg in front of the prop to somewhat guard it when hitting rocks head on. That has happened to me a number of times. Its not the end of the world. I carry a spare pin and prop with me just in case. Just remember adding any type of mechanism to any kayak will up your chance of having something malfunction. It still beats having a Boat and motor to worry about IMO and wrench on all summer.

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 09:34:25 pm »
Im curious how the slayer 10 would hold up. Might be a bit small but might also be perfect..  To bad none of the shops near me have one

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 11:42:59 pm »
Longer kayaks are faster, have more storage and are better tracking. Shorter models steer easier and are lighter. I would definitely go with a 13 footer unless transportation or storage was an issue.

One thing that really disappointed me about my hobie was the customer service on a warranty issue. They make you go through the shop you bought the kayak from even if it isn't the closest one(one literally minutes from my house that refused to do warranty claim whereas I bought kayak in bc...), just something to think about if there are no close Native or Hobie dealers close by.

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 09:41:14 am »

One thing that really disappointed me about my hobie was the customer service on a warranty issue. They make you go through the shop you bought the kayak from even if it isn't the closest one(one literally minutes from my house that refused to do warranty claim whereas I bought kayak in bc...), just something to think about if there are no close Native or Hobie dealers close by.

Whenever someone asks where to buy a Hobie, my first recommendation is to buy from the local dealer.  If they are looking elsewhere I ask them if they have a warranty issue I hope they saved enough dollars going out of town to pay for more out of town visits to the dealer they bought from.

I can't see this being any different from any other Kayak manufacturer unless you bought from a Big Box store.    Hobie has one of the best customer service policies.  I have had warranty claims on 4 year old kayaks (Hobie is 2 years).  In one incident I did get a dealer that I didn't buy from to handle the claim.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 01:58:53 pm »
Here is a interesting read that was posted to another forum where someone was looking to purchase a fishing kayak.
Some true, some false( in my eyes),& some I bet no one has given much consideration.

http://wavewalk.com/blog/2010/10/11/paddle-vs-pedal-drive-in-common-fishing-kayaks/
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 06:20:38 pm »
Lets not turn this into a Hobie vs Propel debate...that cat has been beat to death lol.

Absolutely. My post was meant to be respectful and non-promotional. It's great to have options.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 06:23:46 pm »
Here is a interesting read that was posted to another forum where someone was looking to purchase a fishing kayak.
Some true, some false( in my eyes),& some I bet no one has given much consideration.

http://wavewalk.com/blog/2010/10/11/paddle-vs-pedal-drive-in-common-fishing-kayaks/

Way to hijack the post.  Rocketball specifically said this is not to be a debate of pedaling vs. paddling.  My following comments are to discredit their false claims.  I didn't see any scientific support to their claims.

Most of this article is propaganda written to offset the popularity of pedal driven kayaks, and specifically a shot at the use of fins for propulsion.  It was written in 2010 and event the comments seem a little funny.   

I bought a kayak because lower back problems caused me to give up both playing hockey and golf.  Since 2008 I have been pedaling kayaks on average 80 outings a year and all models of Hobie Mirage Kayaks.  The only problems I have had with my lower extremities have nothing to do with kayaking.  I am 55 years old, do not run, cycle, or go to the gym anymore, all activities I did before I started kayak fishing (out of my Hobies).   Never felt better (except when I fall out of trailers, or kick steel doors).  Even the pre-vantage seat era of Hobie Mirage Drives I had no issues with the seat. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:27:28 pm by PikeCreek »

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline gogu392

• Greenhorn
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 06:32:33 pm »
"So many things I love about the Slayer propel and a few that could be improved. However the ability to stay on a specific spot is what sets this kayak apart from most! "

If you main task in kayak is to fish the best is Wavewalk.
There is no way you can beat a Wavewalk with electric trolling motor with your propeller in Native.
Try to troll for few hours continuously with your pedals in high current, you have to maintain a steady 2km/h speed.
And for fun just suspend a two divers 12Oz at 80FOW to get Lakers.
My record is 9 hours - nonstop. Try that in native keeping a constant speed.
I am not talkin about your sore legs, just try to do it to see if you can do that for a short period of time (NO WAY).

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:41:02 pm by gogu392 »

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 06:33:42 pm »

Interesting article, given that it's intended to show the superior benefits of the wavewalk. I've never seen anybody analyze the topic to that extent. One observation that I will take issue with concerns the discomfort that pedaling (any kind) is claimed to produce. I'm no longer a young man but, even though I went through a herniated disc problem about 20 years ago, I routinely pedal my Outback over 5 hours in a day without getting out of the yak with no difficulty - and it has the old seat. A bit stiff at the end of the day? For sure. But that has little to do with the pedals. Lie on the couch watching tv for 5 hours without moving and you'll be stiff afterwards when you get up. If you want to pedal I think both the Hobie or Native systems are first class and someone new looking at all the options of all kinds available out there should not be deterred from pedaling by this article. Try before you buy and get out on the water.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:35:58 pm by Red Rocket »
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline rocketball

• Old School
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 06:19:44 am »
Lets not turn this into a Hobie vs Propel debate...that cat has been beat to death lol.

Absolutely. My post was meant to be respectful and non-promotional. It's great to have options.

Don...No worries man I didn't take it that way...cheers

HEY GUYS LIKE I SAID BEFORE THIS POST WAS NOT ENTENDED TO BE A PROPEL VS MIRAGE VS PADDLE DEBATE. ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS TO SHOW THE BENIFITS OF MY SLAYER PROPEL. SOME OF YOU ARE TRYING TO START UP A DEBATE THAT HAS BEEN BEAT TOO DEATH! IF U WANT TO DEBATE IT, MAYBE START UP YOUR OWN THREAD, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD NOT HIJACK MINE! thanks

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 08:08:04 am »
Don...No worries man I didn't take it that way...cheers

HEY GUYS LIKE I SAID BEFORE THIS POST WAS NOT ENTENDED TO BE A PROPEL VS MIRAGE VS PADDLE DEBATE. ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS TO SHOW THE BENIFITS OF MY SLAYER PROPEL. SOME OF YOU ARE TRYING TO START UP A DEBATE THAT HAS BEEN BEAT TOO DEATH! IF U WANT TO DEBATE IT, MAYBE START UP YOUR OWN THREAD, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD NOT HIJACK MINE! thanks

Agreed

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler