Recent

Author Topic: STEALTH Quick release rod holders  (Read 6060 times)

Offline Thumper

• Seasoned Angler
STEALTH Quick release rod holders
« on: November 14, 2015, 05:41:03 pm »
Fishing from a Hobie Outback and Hobie ProAngler, I've often struggled with rod holders - particularly fly-rod holders. From a conventional boat, where you can often access a rod holder right in front of you, and often with both hands, common Scotty or wire style holders work well. But when you're seated low, and must lean forward and then reach further to access your rod, it can be time consuming and a battle to remove your rod quickly to set the hook, or drop a rod into the holder to attend to a 2nd rod quickly. The Scotty fly-rod holders, with a 'side-loading' slot are particularly difficult, especially when mounted on the right side of the kayak with the slot opening to the bow. When there's tension on the rod tip from a fish or while trolling, it's a certainly a fight just to remove the rod from the holder. The fish is often gone by the time you're in a position to set the hook.

Particularly true for old, not-so-limber, fat guys with slower response times .....

I was intrigued by the design of the STEALTH Quick Release Rod Holders, and recently ordered 2 to try them out on my Hobie ProAngler. They are fully adjustable and mount with a conventional system - interchangeable with Scotty style mounts, but instead of using a deep slot to hold the rod, they use a soft rubber, flexible gripper that holds the upper rod securely (above the reel), yet releases with a moderate upwards tug. This allows the rod to be quickly released (and inserted) into the rod holder from almost any direction or angle - leaning forward, directly beside you, or leaning backwards if you wished to place a rod holder towards the stern. The rubber 'grip' is flexible enough to hold either the small diameter rod blank itself, or the fatter cork handle, depending on your rod design and how far 'up' you wish to place it in the holder. The 'grip' will even accept the large diameter, extended rubber handle of a mooching rod.

I mounted one STEALTH forward of the cockpit and on the port and one forward on the starboard sides. Using flyrods, and accessing both one-handed, was far faster and more efficient than with my Scotty conventional rod holders, or Scotty flyrod rod holders. I'm very pleased with how the STEALTH rod holders perform, and would recommend them to anyone who uses rod holders in a kayak. To a fly-fisher, they are a real treat!

I tested mine in a freshwater Kootenay, British Columbia lake, catching rainbow trout, in mid November. Temperature was only 2 to 4C, but the rubber 'grip' remained flexible. I don't know how they would hold up to saltwater and large fish conditions, but they worked well in my scenario .

A quick web search to stealthrodholders.com will lead to their site. Their videos are helpful, but do not show kayak applications. Email communication is excellent, and they are available direct from the manufacturer (U.S.) or through Amazon. I don't know of any Canadian distributor.

I have no affiliation or interest in the company.
Canmore, Alberta
Hobie Nation
P.A. 12
Outback
Adventure Island
Sport

Offline Boknows

• Old School
Re: STEALTH Quick release rod holders
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:24:38 pm »
that is an awesome report Thumper...thanks....I currently use Ram mounts however these look a bit smaller...I wonder how they hold up to constant trolling for walleye or muskie
Windsor, Ontario

If your not livin on the edge, your takin up too much space!

Offline Thumper

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 10:44:48 pm »
I think they might be coming out with a heavier model - for larger reels and big water conditions. Email them, they reply promptly.
Canmore, Alberta
Hobie Nation
P.A. 12
Outback
Adventure Island
Sport

Offline Sierra1

• Local Pro
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 08:43:56 am »
Thanks for the report. I had not heard of these and I will give them a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalku

Offline Stealthy427

• Greenhorn
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 04:54:17 pm »
Hey Guys,
My name is Jason Begin from Stealth. Just wanted to join in to say that I am happy to answer any questions you may have about our products. We are a pretty new company and we are just trying to get the word out about our products.
As Thumper mentioned, what differentiates us is our Elastomer release.
We are just in the process of tooling up some new mounts. You can see them all at our website StealthRodHolders.com
All of that being said, not chiming in to try to sell anyone, but would welcome any questions you all might have. Thanks!

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 09:04:23 am »
Here's the link to the Stealth web site.

http://www.stealthrodholders.com/

Nice to see options.
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »
Looks to me to be the perfect rod holder.
And at a good price point.
100%this will be added to my yak.
Thanks for sharing

Offline Flyfisher

• Seasoned Angler
  • John 3:16
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 09:50:40 am »
First off there is no perfect rod holder ;) they all have strengths and weakness! Nice to see another option, there was one similar to this yrs ago! Going to go through my collection mags see if I can find it? Can't remember name of it?
Snap in will get loose for sure, with time! be interesting to see if you can buy replacement parts or have to replace the whole unit? Also be interesting to see what life span of these units will be?

Nice looking unit though!
Blessings,
Ocean Kayak Big Game, Pescator Pro 120, Trident 11

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 09:29:32 am »
FF you were thinking of a Scotty Orca rod holder ?

Still figure the best rod holder is your hand, while fishing anyhow.  :)
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Stealthy427

• Greenhorn
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 01:25:48 pm »
Great discussion,
The Elastomer cam is made from EPDM, which is the same material used in engine gaskets. It's UV resistant, chemical and solvent resistant, even gasoline. It also has an operating temperature range thats huge. (-50 to +150F), and it doesn't get tacky.
You can buy replacement cams separately, and they come with new pivots and transit strap.

Plus, the products are lifetime guarantee. If you are not happy, return it anytime no questions asked.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 01:29:36 pm »
Its nice to see you back your products.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Flyfisher

• Seasoned Angler
  • John 3:16
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 09:51:47 pm »
Great discussion,
The Elastomer cam is made from EPDM, which is the same material used in engine gaskets. It's UV resistant, chemical and solvent resistant, even gasoline. It also has an operating temperature range thats huge. (-50 to +150F), and it doesn't get tacky.
You can buy replacement cams separately, and they come with new pivots and transit strap.

Plus, the products are lifetime guarantee. If you are not happy, return it anytime no questions asked.

Sweet! great that you back your product like that! Thanks for answering my questions too!
Blessings,
Ocean Kayak Big Game, Pescator Pro 120, Trident 11

Tags: