Recent

Author Topic: RavYak's Hobie Outback  (Read 5087 times)

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
RavYak's Hobie Outback
« on: April 16, 2015, 01:33:40 am »
I just got my Outback a couple weeks ago and so the journey begins to get her all rigged up.

First step was add decent rod holders and figure out a fish finder. I had a couple ideas for rod holders and the one I thought best was to use up a couple Scotty flush mounts I had laying around by installing them in the trays on each side. I like this because it keeps everything below the rails if I haul it upside down and because it is the perfect distance imo. The only somewhat worry was having stuff in the way of rudder controls but I plan on always using an extender so don't believe that will be an issue.

Rod Holder Installed(same on other side). I cut a backing plate out of some stainless steel at work and used silicone to glue her up.

One thing that always bothered me about my scotty gear head extender was that it was always half a notch out. I know scotty sells adapter pieces but since we have a 3d printer at work I decided to whip a couple up.

Since I just happened to have a Humminbird 987C SI fish finder laying around I figured I might as well use it. I used gear head extender to mount the head unit in a spot where it is out of the way of fishing and pedalling but within arms reach.

Next was to mount the transducer. Having used the 987C SI mounted on the back of my Trident I knew it was important to locate it at the front of the boat(unless you want to see every paddle stroke in SI...  Because SI doesn't work well thru hull I figured an arm over the side was my only option. I had a ram mount laying around and installed the ball on front hatch cover and am going to build an arm that comes out from there and over the side. Nice thing is that the ball sits below the side rails and doesn't impede opening the hatch. It will be slightly annoying having to lift the transducer out to open the hatch but I shouldn't be going in and out of there very often so don't see that being an issue.

Obviously more to come as I keep plugging away at this but figured I would start a thread.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Re: RavYak's Hobie Outback
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:10:12 am »
Lookin good! keep the mod's coming!

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 08:54:11 am »
3D printing a slip disc.  :o
Cool stuff, looking good Rav.
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:30:06 pm »
Now the fish of the deep will fear me too!

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 06:22:30 am »
Some Very nice upgraded man!!

How did you mount  your transducer?

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 08:29:36 am »
Both the Lake Troll and Gambrel arm for the FF head in the same mount ? Neat.

About time you go get a kayak laker .  ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 09:07:20 am by EagleEyesFlash »
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 09:41:17 am »
Some Very nice upgraded man!!

How did you mount  your transducer?

I built an arm out of aluminum tubing and 3d printed a piece to mount to it.

I also mounted gopro mount to the ram mount as well but haven't used it yet...

Both the Lake Troll and Gambrel arm for the FF head in the same mount ? Neat.

About time you go get a kayak laker .  ;)

It is only jerry rigged right now but going to fix it up right at work today by running a longer bolt through it. The downrigger attaches like normal, the fish finder just grabs on backside where there is one lip that catches on the notches of gear head mount. Because the fish finder is under no stress it should be ok, I wouldn't want to mount 2 rod holders etc this way though.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 11:41:46 am »
Very imaginative installation RY. Having an older model Outback myself, the only issue you might consider is that with the mounts so close to you on both sides of the boat getting your legs over the side on either side to rummage around in your tackle container, something I do often, will be a bit of a challenge. Anyhow, you'll figure out how to make it all work together. And a 3D printer, no less!  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:41:24 pm by Red Rocket »
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 12:25:57 pm »
Very imaginative installation RY. Having an older model Outback the only issue you might consider is that with the mounts so close to you on both sides of the boat getting your legs over the side on either side to rummage around in your tackle container, something I do often, will be a bit of a challenge. Anyhow, you'll figure out how to make it all work together. And a 3D printer, no less!  :)

I have been using this setup minus the downrigger all spring and have no issues with it. The arm provides a bit of drag but not too bad. The fish finder rotates out of the way when I need more room for doing stuff.

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 08:19:02 pm »
Nice setup and great job with getting out and enjoying some nice time out fishing. Hey print me out a new outback while your at it . Lol

Tags: