Recent

Author Topic: 17' Pro angler  (Read 13902 times)

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Re: 17' Pro angler
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2015, 12:54:58 pm »
Even though i own a hobie ,this is really a supersize puntboat. Same with the Pro angler. Its funny they can even call them kayaks,due to the fact there is no way it is sleek on both ends and would have a heck of a time paddling without mirage drive. Although a great idea for someone with kids or partner. And an outfitter or cruiser. Here's an actual punt boat ,design looks pretty familiar lolPleas

This doesnt look anything like the PA17 (and Im not even a Hobie guy)
the bow of that boat is blunt, the PA is not.  the stern and design is straight and the PA17 has a tapered look.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline jkind

• Local Pro
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2015, 04:20:38 pm »
There are a couple of reasons I want to use 2 anchors...one is to hold my position on a drop off because I prefer to use slip bobbers while fishing for walleye and reason number 2 is for chironomid fishing for trout(you do not want to be dragging the fly around so you use 2 anchors to hold you stationary).

I will read the info on the links you guys provided and maybe I will learn something :)
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Red Deer, Alberta

Offline jkind

• Local Pro
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2015, 04:25:05 pm »
Sorry about hijacking your thread FlyFisher but I may be learning a thing or two here  ;)
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Red Deer, Alberta

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2015, 06:18:18 pm »
John.  gondolas have a more curved bow and stern that picture is a pirogue ( pee-row ) flat bottom and shallow. popular in the bayou.  as seen on Swamp People
cheers Rick
ps man did this thread deteriorate fast. just started with a nice guy saying hey look what I bought.
good on you hope you enjoy fishing with your grandkid
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2015, 06:20:53 pm »
although he is wearing a gondoliers hat lol I wonder if he's singing. took a gondola ride in Venice once, bastard didn't sing a note.  ;D
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 10:22:12 am »
How about I bring this back to topic.
I think it is a great boat to bring your kids out on or a nice romantic paddle with the wife.

I'm sure it cost a fortune.
Imo I think if I wanted to bring my kids and or wife with me I would just buy a power boat. As I would feel safer to have my kids in that.
Or buy 2 kayaks so if I were to go solo I would not have to push the Titanic solo.
But all in all an awsome yak

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2015, 05:38:19 pm »
you mean a nice romantic peddle with the wife. LOL   I think that was the gist of these posts you'd have a tough time paddling a boat like this.  but and I do mean BUT you don't buy a hobie to paddle the thing you buy it to peddle. hands free fishing and all that, why spend the extra loot on a mirage drive if you ain't gonna use it.
I think it's a nice boat but the list of things I have to buy before I could free up cash for a hobie is long,  very,  very long.
cheers Rick
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2015, 06:17:35 pm »
Yes I did mean peddle lol
The only problem with the peddle drive is it might get in the way with the "romantic" part. Good thing they pull out

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2015, 08:52:54 pm »
when it comes to romance pulling out could be a good thing  ;)
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline Transplant

• CKA TEAM
  • Old School
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2015, 09:15:47 pm »
Haha... I love it when I come here and see that phattrick has posted.
Truro, Nova Scotia

Ocean Kayak Trident 13
Hobie Outback 'Hank Parker Fishing Edition"

www.nskayakfisher.wordpress.com

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2015, 12:54:11 pm »
Sorry  but the Proangler and new 17 ft Proangler are modified punt boats of great width and built up inside for buoyancy  ,with a mirage drive instead of of motor. Because you need some type of propulsion system to move it. Paddles insufficient for these to be a practical kayak. Kayaks are slender, paddle driven . Hobie has its own interpretation on what they consider is a kayak. Paddling a Proangler would be the equivalent of rowing a supersize tub, especially the 17. Do they have a place out here , yes. Theres always going to be someone that will pay the price to have the newest toys . Perhaps the wooden version of the 17ft. no paddle needed 

meant to quote not modify.. I didnt change anything

The boat you showed is a Gondola not a Punt

To quote that famous Australian, Paul Hogan, "That's not a gondola! Now, that's a gondola!  ;D

Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Tags: