Recent

Author Topic: 17' Pro angler  (Read 13675 times)

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
Re: 17' Pro angler
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 02:54:04 pm »
Perfect rig for young kids or grandkids. Would be awesome for nice inland lake and teaching them fishing, and looking at wildlife. Until big enough for on there own

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 03:23:36 pm »
Jeremy, the only one that you need to please is you and your family.  Everyone will have an opinion, and thats ok too. 
Im glad and grateful you posted it, and keep it up.
You will always get people that wont like whatever, just pay them no mind

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 04:45:18 pm »
Ain't making S@%# up it's what I've been told and seen first hand....
20lb up front and a 10 or so in back, but I'm lying.

Just cause your views differ....
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 04:59:02 pm »
Ya ok, probably don't have any idea how to anchor.  Using a 3 lb anchor in 40' of water in a strong current I was able to stay anchored and fight a 60" sturgeon without coming dislodged.
Maybe your not making it up but your using someone else's experience to criticize the PA series.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 07:45:06 pm »
Shooter,  when the native ultimates came out I googled kayak cause I thought these boats looked more like canoes being high sided and all. and the dictionary tells me that any boat paddled with a two bladed paddle was a kayak. soooo I guess if your pushing a ranger bass boat with a two bladed paddle it's a kayak. seems kinda odd to me but hey whatever floats your boat er.. kayak.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline jkind

• Local Pro
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 12:01:47 am »
I am the one Curtis is talking about and you may be right I might not know how to anchor properly...This is my 3rd season with the PA12 and in 20kmh winds I drag a 14lb anchor in the back and a 10lb anchor in the front.

I have read that you should let out 3 or 4 times the depth of anchor rope but I only have 50' of rope on my anchors so I can't let out the recommended amount of rope hence 2 heavy anchors to try and overcome this but the waves seem to bounce my anchors along and I drift.

As for the PA17T we had quite a lot of interest in it at the shows as a stable platform for couples to be able to fish together, get some exercise and leave your hands free for fishing.

Jim
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Red Deer, Alberta

Offline Mtmouse

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 01:15:21 am »
Jim

I had an issue with anchoring until I added 2' of chain to my anchor. The chain allowed the anchor to lay down and bite into the bottom; prior to that, it was always pulling out.

Offline jkind

• Local Pro
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 11:39:26 am »
I thought of that but I use Scotty Anchor Locks so the anchors would always be dragging below the surface of the water...I dislike anchor trolleys so I guess I will have to learn to live with the anchor dragging.
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Red Deer, Alberta

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 11:50:18 am »
Turf the Anchor locks.
Im sponsored by Scotty, and love their gear, but dispise these anchor locks.
they give you no control over your boat, where an anchor trolley gives you the ability to maneuver on the fly. Locking down your bow or stern or both can put you in some bad situations, that an anchor trolley can avoid.

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 12:49:08 pm »
So glad you saw this post Jim and chimed in...
Be careful tho you might get a pm for the critcism tho.  Lord knows I Did for commenting about my curiosity(nothing more)over anchoring.
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline jkind

• Local Pro
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 07:55:27 pm »
Hi John

Not quite understanding your point...I installed 2 anchor trolleys on my yak and found it more difficult and time consuming using the trolleys where the anchor locks I just pull on the anchor rope to pull up the anchor instead of adjusting the trolley to the point where I can grab the anchor rope to pull in the anchor...unless I am missing something in the use of the trolleys.
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Red Deer, Alberta

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 11:23:00 am »
I am the one Curtis is talking about and you may be right I might not know how to anchor properly...This is my 3rd season with the PA12 and in 20kmh winds I drag a 14lb anchor in the back and a 10lb anchor in the front.

I have read that you should let out 3 or 4 times the depth of anchor rope but I only have 50' of rope on my anchors so I can't let out the recommended amount of rope hence 2 heavy anchors to try and overcome this but the waves seem to bounce my anchors along and I drift.

As for the PA17T we had quite a lot of interest in it at the shows as a stable platform for couples to be able to fish together, get some exercise and leave your hands free for fishing.

Jim

I may as well chime in here as well.

Firstly; Jeremy, I would suggest that you are one of the more experienced small boat/kayak fisherman represented here and I'm certain you and your family will get a ton of enjoyment out of your new craft, regardless of the definition of what it is, so just give'er and ignore the naysayers.

Secondly, other than just tieing a rock to a rope and dropping it overboard, anchoring technique and technology has been largely developed over many centuries for the benefit of large boats. Pay attention to what they do - trial, error and evolution rule. There are lots of sources available on the internet, here's just one.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/anchorsteps.htm

Ignoring the type of anchor to use for a moment there's really no reason you should be dragging your anchor unless weather, current or bottom conditions are unusual, in which case you might question why you're there. 20 km wind is only about 11 kts and whitecaps start to form at 12 to 13 - if you're dragging it's a technique problem. 3 to 1 is the absolute minimum of anchor rode to water depth ratio you should use and using a short length of chain as mentioned previously is a good idea, although I find it unnecessary if the rode is long enough. Maybe carry a second rope to tie or snap to the first one for use in deeper water.

Thirdly, why are you using both a bow and a stern anchor, jkind? Wouldn't this be dangerous? If you want to use 2 anchors why not use them both off or near the bow or stern and spread them apart to reduce swinging.

For the record, I use a half trolley from midships to the stern only on my Outback with a .7 kg anchor (yes, about a pound) and wouldn't consider using either a bow or stern anchor lock. If something goes wrong (anchor line gets jammed) you're immediately in a pickle if there's an emergency.

I don't consider myself an expert but in my younger days I did a lot of sailing (cruising, not racing) in mid to large size boats, for which attention to anchoring procedure is essential unless you want to become part of a database rather than a reader of one, particularly when you include tides in the mix.

Please be gentle.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:27:44 pm by Red Rocket »
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 12:07:16 pm »
Hi John
Not quite understanding your point...I installed 2 anchor trolleys on my yak and found it more difficult and time consuming using the trolleys where the anchor locks I just pull on the anchor rope to pull up the anchor instead of adjusting the trolley to the point where I can grab the anchor rope to pull in the anchor...unless I am missing something in the use of the trolleys.

this is to complement what Red Rocket has already mentioned
the fact of the matter is that you should never need 2 anchors to control a kayak.  if you find that your anchor is not keeping you stationary that means you arent using enough rope and perhaps the weight of your anchor is wrong.  Having a short anchor line can be dangerous too.  the shorter the line, the harder is is to maneuver your boat when you need to. the longer your line, the easier it is to move around when needed.
Here is a guideline for the anchor weight you should use for the weight of your boat/kayak
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/technical/anchorguide.htm

really one anchor and a trolley is all you need 2 trolleys is overkill and would be a pain in the ass to use.
the trolley will allow you to run your anchor off of your bow or stern with a few pulls, which gives you full control of how/where your kayak is pointing, and can enable you to control your boat much better in bad situations..  having two points of anchoring can actually become dangerous in some conditions unless you cut your lines. 

By using the anchor locks you are hindering where you can set your anchor points on your boat.  in my opinion thats a mistake that the anchor trolley corrects. 
You want as much control over your kayak as possible. 

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 12:15:49 pm »
Either a punt boat or even that last pic there. Gotta admit there are some simialrdesign ideas.
Would hate to paddle a pro angler 17. Would love to see how they get pushed by the wind. I know several guys in 14 s that say with it being so high up from the water staying anchored can be quite the challenge.
You can make this silly "Punt" arguement about many more boats than just the PA. 
People dont buy the PA17 to Paddle.  I doubt the dealer would even sell it that way. they sell the peddle drive. 
to say any high sided boat would have more difficulties anchoring is like saying water will get you wet.  You just have to know how to properly set up your anchor system.  Its no different than using a 5lb anchor to hold a 12 ft aluminum boat in place (which is rather easy).

Ain't making S@%# up it's what I've been told and seen first hand....
20lb up front and a 10 or so in back, but I'm lying.
Just cause your views differ....

So glad you saw this post Jim and chimed in...
Be careful tho you might get a pm for the critcism tho.  Lord knows I Did for commenting about my curiosity(nothing more)over anchoring.

Ever think that you get reacted to for just reasons?
YOU get reactions like that based on your past actions here. 
You have to expect it.  Your reputation here is not squeaky clean.
How YOU see yourself and how other's see you greatly differs. 

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 12:52:55 pm »
Sorry  but the Proangler and new 17 ft Proangler are modified punt boats of great width and built up inside for buoyancy  ,with a mirage drive instead of of motor. Because you need some type of propulsion system to move it. Paddles insufficient for these to be a practical kayak. Kayaks are slender, paddle driven . Hobie has its own interpretation on what they consider is a kayak. Paddling a Proangler would be the equivalent of rowing a supersize tub, especially the 17. Do they have a place out here , yes. Theres always going to be someone that will pay the price to have the newest toys . Perhaps the wooden version of the 17ft. no paddle needed 

meant to quote not modify.. I didnt change anything

The boat you showed is a Gondola not a Punt

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Tags: