Recent

Author Topic: 17' Pro angler  (Read 13830 times)

Offline Flyfisher

• Seasoned Angler
  • John 3:16
17' Pro angler
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:00:31 pm »
 :P
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:41:52 am by Flyfisher »
Ocean Kayak Big Game, Pescator Pro 120, Trident 11

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Re: 17' Pro angler
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 09:03:44 pm »
I dont know a lot about Hobies.... Is this a Tandem boat?

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline tsquared

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish worship--is it wrong?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:26:08 am »
Yes it's a tandem you can tell by the two slots for the drives
Metchosin BC
(Metchosin is a coast Salish word meaning "stinking fish")

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:43:55 am »
Waste of money imo. Looked at one briefly and they are way too big and expensive to be practical. Can buy a pretty good motorboat for the same price and it would probably be easier to handle...

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:21:18 am »
Even though i own a hobie ,this is really a supersize puntboat. Same with the Pro angler. Its funny they can even call them kayaks,due to the fact there is no way it is sleek on both ends and would have a heck of a time paddling without mirage drive. Although a great idea for someone with kids or partner. And an outfitter or cruiser. Here's an actual punt boat ,design looks pretty familiar lolPleas

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 06:26:36 am »
Yes it's a tandem you can tell by the two slots for the drives
I can only see one clearly. I assume I'm correct in thinking the other one is under the paddle?
Do they give you one paddle or 2? (it would make sense to give 2 would it not?

Waste of money imo. Looked at one briefly and they are way too big and expensive to be practical. Can buy a pretty good motorboat for the same price and it would probably be easier to handle...
I disagree.  some folks just dont want a motor at all.  the silence, the exercise etc.  If i have to pay "X" amount of dollars to get someone out on the water, and it fits my needs id do it too.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 06:31:28 am »
Yes 2 paddles a must, heavy also, you are not flipping this baby over in the water and getting back in. And if no mirage drive would be a beast to paddle. Great for calm, cruising waters to fish with someone. Oh and obviously quiet. lol.

Offline Thumper

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 11:13:37 am »
Sweet ride  :) Perfect for a cabin on the lake where you don't need to transport it too much, but even if you must, it's easily transportable by one person on a light trailer. I can't see it being very difficult to 'flip over and get back in'. It's the shape, not the weight - ask any log-roller!
As far as cost goes, for the same price, you can have either the cadillac of fishing kayaks, or the very cheapest motor boat on the market. I'd choose the quiet one without the motor!
Our Hobies aren't cheap, but they're used almost every day, often more than once and we get a lot more hours of enjoyment out of them than any of the $50K+ power boats on our lake.
Canmore, Alberta
Hobie Nation
P.A. 12
Outback
Adventure Island
Sport

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 09:10:52 pm »
The PA17 is a Tandem human powered watercraft and is nothing like a puntboat  ::).    I had my doubts when the kayak was first released but after seeing one at my first show, in January I didn't have any doubts that it would sell and it did very well at the shows I worked. I may consider one myself.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 11:47:38 pm »
hey John if a man wanted silence why the hell would he get a tandem. you're  just bringing the noise with you.
drones on like an outboard, and never seems to run out of gas. Doesn't propel the boat worth crap tho.
hahaha don't tell momma I said that
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 06:08:09 am »
Sorry  but the Proangler and new 17 ft Proangler are modified punt boats of great width and built up inside for buoyancy  ,with a mirage drive instead of of motor. Because you need some type of propulsion system to move it. Paddles insufficient for these to be a practical kayak. Kayaks are slender, paddle driven . Hobie has its own interpretation on what they consider is a kayak. Paddling a Proangler would be the equivalent of rowing a supersize tub, especially the 17. Do they have a place out here , yes. Theres always going to be someone that will pay the price to have the newest toys . Perhaps the wooden version of the 17ft. no paddle needed 

meant to quote not modify.. I didnt change anything
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:52:29 pm by John Gibson »

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 09:29:33 am »
So what your saying is that the Pro Angler Series of kayaks is only for guys that can afford the latest toys, and it compares to your ridiculous comparison of a punt boat.

::)

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 10:00:54 am »
No. But sure looks like the designers took a look at one to design it. But certainly doesnt look like a true kayak would be. No other kayak design to look more  like a boat. Otherwise paddling it wouldnt be an issue.

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 11:42:06 am »
Either a punt boat or even that last pic there. Gotta admit there are some simialrdesign ideas.
Would hate to paddle a pro angler 17. Would love to see how they get pushed by the wind. I know several guys in 14 s that say with it being so high up from the water staying anchored can be quite the challenge.
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 02:50:24 pm »
Ok, first you guy make ridiculous comparisons now you making stuff up.  There is no issues anchoring.  The deal with the wind was only in a trailing wind in waves over a foot and half.  The skew in the 2015 models have corrected that.

Tags: