Recent

Author Topic: Flipping your Yak...Stories  (Read 1276 times)

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Flipping your Yak...Stories
« on: March 05, 2009, 12:54:39 pm »
I have been sitting here toiling with the idea of venturing out to an area I know would have an initial launch with a continuous swell set of 12 feet or more...All the thoughts of getting flipped in the cold winter water as the sets break on me have been bouncing around in my head...Is it worth it? Do I feel like freezing my arse off for the chance at some fish? Remember what happened last time Jeff  ;D...My bad thoughts are winning...
A year or more ago I decided to hit this area up while all the factors were telling me it was going to suck with the various buoy data and weather stations I read for pretrip planning...The data showed on shore winds moderate with timing between waves enough that they would be nice after the breaking swells but it would for sure be breaking at the beach...I decided to go anyways...
I watched the swells breaking and the surfers catching them with flare and excitement...I noticed a small window of time where they were more friendly for a quick paddle and maybe if I paddled hard I would make it out...It was close but after paddling as hard as I could I managed to get out...whhheeeewww
I fished hard for 4 hours or so and managed to catch a couple halibut...The winds picked up and was now blowing moderate to strong from the north directly onto the beach giving the swells a bit more ummpph...I decided it was time to go in because my stomach was starting to turn and nothing more was biting...as i got up close i could hear the sound that the swell makes as it slammed down on the beach...I could see the white tops of the sets...A small crowd of children that were out watching the surfers ran over to the point to watch the upcoming event which undoubtedly would have me swimming...I went...
I paddled hard trying to follow the last white tip of swell top thinking that if I managed to stay close enough the swell behind it wouldnt catch me...Good theory  ;)...I wasnt quite fast enough  :o as soon as i got in the swells I looked behind me as a decent little vortex pulled me back into a huge breaking swell that seemed to be as large as a garage...all i could do was try and stay straight and hold on...luckily as it started to whip me forward my paddle and my weight as I leaned back got me through and I was free :) but as it had thrusted me forward it filled the inside of my yak 1/4 way with water through the rod pod in the center of the yak which I hadnt fully tightened...so as I was paddling i looked to shore and noticed I really wasnt moving...I then looked behind me  :o Here was another one coming and this time I was right in the perfect spot to have it break on me...What happened next was a bit messy but quite comical for the children, beachcombers and surfers who were all watching intently...I almost felt as though I was victorious when I made it through the first one...As though I was just showing off to the surfers..haha...but as the second hit, my last look was at a group of surfers laughing hysterically as I flipped and was rag dolled towards shore...I managed to save all my gear and fish and yak...but it was a cold go of getting it all in the truck after...with the strong winds coming down from Alaska I thanked god for climate control in the truck :)

I unfortunately have had a few of these events to share...lol...its either because I never listened to the bad voices during trip planning or because I didnt do any trip planning...I wonder if anyone else has flipped their kayaks and lived to tell of it???

Offline nomad

• Seasoned Angler
Re: Flipping your Yak...Stories
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 03:56:34 pm »
 ;D ;D  nothing like slamming the shore with a crowd of spectators!
I wouldn't be too embarrassed considering you got everything back...  sheit happens.

I've never beached or dumped unintentionally to date,yet   :)  There were a couple high turbulence days on the lower Niagara last fall that I nearly dumped in my drawers.  :o
Short kayaks rule in the surf and rapids.  For years I used to take a shorty to Huron in the Fall on days when the the big winds and 6-8' crashers start coming in.  There were several occassions where I met the beach unfavourably, from trying to surf the wave for too long. 
When I got my first Tarpon, I would try to see how quickly I could get back in after purposely flipping it.

Offline joco

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:24:47 pm »
 i did flip in a kayak kind off..on shore wile puting one feet in..then slide a dn sit in the water beside the kayak..nice dry start. :D

but talking about fliping.

wen my wife and me went to shop for my wife first kayak..we went to a little lake here that sale some kayak and you can try them on the spot.

so she had an eye on a redfish 10.....pamlico 120 and onother one.

but was in love wi that nice redfish 10.

so she goes in..paddle for a bit..then come back no to far frome shore...i tell her can you see the bottom..to her..so she bend a bit to see..............SPLOOK.... :o :D..the kayak flip its not late in season the water is dirty and cold............wow..that kaayk fly out off the water never did touch the beach..she hate that kaayk so bad. :D :D :D.

she baught a pamlico 120 and love it since and never did flip.

i got a couple kayak here never did flip..but sometime i was up(standing up) and did loose balance a couple off time and almost went. ::) :D

i dont care fliping..its what we can loose..tackles etc..i try to ty down stuff but even then.

joco

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:00:09 pm »
haha...Sounds like you set her up for a swim :D haha

Offline joco

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:29:48 pm »
 not at all.

those red fish supose to be stabile...actualy was the worst kayak she did try by far.

good she still did like a kayak sfater that.

joco

Offline Don

• Local Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:30:19 pm »
i did flip in a kayak kind off..on shore wile puting one feet in..then slide a dn sit in the water beside the kayak..nice dry start. :D

i dont care fliping..its what we can loose..tackles etc..i try to ty down stuff but even then.

joco

Ya might not have flipped but remember the little trip you took at the Riverkeeper Tourney last year  :D :D :D :D

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:31:51 pm »
nice :) little deeper than you thought?

Offline joco

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 06:33:20 am »
thanks to remind me DON...... ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D

WW  it was actualy not anaugh deap..were i got stuck in current for a good period.

then deside to walk that current...but where that pic was taken i could have been back in kayak..but i was having fun walking.... ;D :D :D

joco.........that was a fun day..fun derby.cant wait for next i one.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 06:38:08 am by joco »

Offline JamieP

• Ultra Light
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 06:51:04 pm »
Thank god for Jocos safety suit ( Classic plaid shirt, jeans a construction boots!)

Offline Spot

• Greenhorn
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 10:52:57 pm »
Being a surfer 1st and kayak fisherman 2nd (at least until recently)  I have a hard time justifying running from swells or backing into the beach.  While I do try to find the softest break on the beach, I also tend to wait for the biggest set waves to "ride" in. 
Needless to say, I've huli'd, pitchpoled and been ripped from my yak a few times because of this misplaced-pride/stupidity.  ;D 

Luckily, I always stow everything below decks (hmmmm except for that pair of sunglasses last year....oh, and that stupid hat....  ::) Ok usually.  And I make sure my hatches are locked down tight. 

Oh yeah, I also wear a 5mil wetsuit when I venture out in the ocean.  It sucks when you've gotta pee but it's nice knowing that if something terrible happened I could swim back to dry land.

I'd say my success rate is just over 60% but nothing gets rid of the green around your gills like the shot of pure adrenaline from a big drop.  :o
No one knows what a spot of time is till all the world is a fish and then the fish is gone.

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 07:59:19 pm »
Many seasons ago, myself and Chris took our 16' sea kayaks out on a lake that had some serious high water after the thaw. It was April 1st and the ice had just come off the water. Since the water was so high it flooded many sections of the road so we thought we would paddle down the road to the adjoining lake, to get there you had to paddle directly by the water rushing under and around the bridge that seperated the two. I got a good head of steam up and paddled by the bridge as the water was sucking under it and pushing it around it at the same time. It was the water being pushed out and around that got me and pushed my stern into some small clusters of alders, after that my bow came around and fetched up on the same cluster and over I went... it happened in seconds and felt like I was being stabbed with a 1000 needles all at the same time. I got out and realized that I had lost nothing but some pride and as Chris came around the point he only saw the bottom of my yak but I hollerd to him, "if you are coming then don't stop to look at the flowers, just give'er the whole way because the current is faster than it looks."... I have never rolled it since but we have come close, being in water that we shouldn't have been in with the long yaks. Good times though.
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 09:51:53 pm »
nice..

Tags: