Recent

Author Topic: multiple rods  (Read 3003 times)

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
multiple rods
« on: March 14, 2015, 10:07:26 am »
So I was watching fishing Canada today and it got me thinking.
There where 4 ppl on the boat and they had 8 rods in the water.
I always thought that you can only have one rod in the water.
In Ontario can you fish with more than on rod?

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Re: multiple rods
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:10:18 am »
Dunno about Ontario, but in some parts you can have more than one rod (per person) in the water.
In the Atlantic it needs to be Tidal water.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 01:08:33 pm »
There's areas on the great lakes where you can use 2 rods from a boat.
Check the regs. it's in there somewhere.
The one I remember for fall walleye is two rods may be used from a boat, east of
the Glenora ferry to a line connecting the western tips of Howe and Wolfe islands.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:44:41 am by EagleEyesFlash »
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Mtmouse

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 01:32:24 pm »
You can use two rods from your boat anywhere on the Great Lakes, including Lake St. Clair, but not Georgian Bay, St. Clair River or the Detroit River. So basically it's just the lakes themselves.

Offline Sierra1

• Local Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 01:26:55 pm »
In BC on freshwater, you can you use two rods from a boat if you are by yourself. Otherwise, one rod per person. 
On the chuck you can use as many as you can manage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 01:41:02 pm »
In BC on freshwater, you can you use two rods from a boat if you are by yourself. Otherwise, one rod per person. 
On the chuck you can use as many as you can manage.

I believe the actual rule is; if you are alone in a boat and have a valid freshwater fishing licence you can have two rods with you but only use one at a time. If there are two or more people in the boat you can only have in the boat (and have in use) one rod per licence.

Years ago a friend of mine was fishing a small interior BC lake from a small zodiac with an electric motor and had two rods in his boat. When he finished and went back to his cabin his wife asked him to take her to her friend's place on the other side of the lake, which he did. She was not a fisherperson (??) and didn't have a licence. A CO stopped them and fined him over $100 for having more than 1 person in the boat and more rods than licences. He wasn't even fishing.

I'm a big fan of CO's and believe that they do an awful lot despite being badly underfunded right across the country but even they aren't individually immune to excessive behaviour and questionable judgment IMHO.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Sierra1

• Local Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 02:47:47 pm »
From the regs....It is unlawful to Use more than one fishing line, EXCEPT a person who is alone in a boat on a lake may angle with two lines.
It's a constant source of wonderment. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyfisher

• Seasoned Angler
  • John 3:16
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 04:49:24 pm »
Have enough trouble handling one line let alone two :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :o
Ocean Kayak Big Game, Pescator Pro 120, Trident 11

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 11:04:31 pm »
it varies a lot per province and area. most places for freshwater allow only 1 rod in the water at a time, some like mentioned have rules about how many rods on the boat, used or not,  like mentioned above and the crown lakes and river areas in NB (I've heard of people busted there just like mentioned above - there is a joke that goes along with it,, but it's a little r rated). other spots, like the salt water on the east coast and tidal waters  again east coast allow up to 5 rods in use and up to 6 hooks per rod. most don't use that many rods...of course, I'm not most people! lol!! I often use 2, 3 4, and yup, even 5 rods,  depending on what and where I'm fishing. it is actually easier to troll with 2 rods out rather than 1...until you hook up with a fish or 2 !!
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 07:23:22 am »
An old gag:

A woman is fishing in a boat and has 3 rods with her. A CO comes by and charges her for too many rods. She asks why since she was only using one rod. He says, well you have the equipment there and might use it. She asks for the phone number of the local police station. He gives it to her and asks why she wants it. She says she is going to charge him with sexual assault. He says, why, since he hasn't done anything. She says, yes, but you have the equipment and might use it. He rips up the ticket.

Not belittling assault, it's serious business - just a gag.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 05:21:07 pm »
I pop hit why I really would like to use 2 rods.
Drag. I fish my favorite pike lake with big spinners and they cause a lot of drag. Would be nice to not have to double paddle one side a keep a straight heading.
Wonder if I take off the hook and have just the spinner would I still get charged.. I'm guessing yes. :(

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 08:49:33 am »
Wonder if I take off the hook and have just the spinner would I still get charged.. I'm guessing yes. :(

Now there's an interesting question. Is a fishing rod without a hook attached just an ordinary stick? Very interesting.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 07:43:48 pm »
Nice gag there Don . lol.

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 03:05:42 pm »
yep, that was the joke. :-X

one way that can take a bit to get used to is to run the rod almost strait up, so it runs closer to the center and not pull to either side. this takes a little practice to get set up, and is how I troll with 3 rods out. you can also run with the rod pointing back and laying on one of your shoulders. I mostly do this with a heavy ice fishing rod, but this is not for everyone. (ever fight a big fish from an icefishing rod in a kayak?  -wild!!!)
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Tags: