Recent

Author Topic: prizes  (Read 12168 times)

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
  • my arms are tired from catching all the fish
    • Otownyakers outdoor adventures
prizes
« on: March 01, 2015, 08:27:00 pm »
In the past years has Kayakwars always taken this long to do the prize draws?
Do ppl even know what the prizes are?

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
Re: prizes
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 08:39:37 pm »
This will be my 4th year participating in Kayak Wars and every year it seems like it takes forever.  Personally I don't care, I would participate whether you had the chance to win a prize or not.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 06:51:48 am »
First couple of weeks of March were when they were announced last year.Grand prize the Hobie drawn from all the Goldman points entered from the years contestants.The the  top 20 individuals with highest  Goldman points win automatic prizes drawn from different sponsors. Variety of items from lures packages,PFDs ,etc. Then some random winner from draw outta the remaining 20th to 49th  Goldman points. Certificates  for team winners/individuals in top 3 of there division ,some small items .Last years winner of the Hobie was the top Goldman points leader.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:53:50 am by shooter »

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 12:15:57 pm »
So a new yak is the top prize? That's pretty awesome.
Thanks shooter answers all my questions

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 04:12:43 pm »
It appears the KW draw will be soon.

https://www.facebook.com/KayakWars

Sounds like they are getting lots of stuff for 2014 and 2015.
I have a box full of biffs, trail plastics, paddle/rod leashes, hobie thermoses, beach bags,
and also a backpack from last year. Stuff to use if
I ever host a tourney. The pack of Butter -It baits, I got
last year got eaten by some snot rockets , was a pack of 6 swim baits..kinda cool
trying stuff not found locally.

What were those " Victory " lures like shooter ?

Guess Lucas is getting the outback again this year ? ( No one likes a repeat winner eh Joe ?  ;) )

Good luck everyone.  :)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:05:58 am by EagleEyesFlash »
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 05:52:07 pm »
Lol Brent. Plenty of extra thing of a bobs myself. And those Victory lures i won last year really should have been given out to a saltwater fisherman. They are collecting dust rightnow. Hopefully that yak has my name on it already lol.

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 09:12:59 am »
Looks like Kayak Wars Lives !!
Good luck everyone in receiving your gratis.
Really hoping for a new shirt. Need some underwear too.
Does Mojo make underwear  ?  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:59:07 am by EagleEyesFlash »
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Homebrew76

• Seasoned Angler
  • Cheers!
    • NB Kayak Fishing Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 09:54:20 pm »
I'm not holding my breath on getting the prizes, if they show up I'll be the first to should hurray!

Being a... hmmm,  17 year vet in the field of software engineering, I'd probably be well suited to be part of the a team running something like this; the back end DB side I could probably do in my sleep.  Myself and a good front end web developer could take care of the development side of it for sure.  Then you need to look at someone to gather and administer sponsors, prize distributions, issue resolutions, ...etc.   There is a lot to it and an organized team of 3 - 5 good people would be needed for sure!   I've bitten off way too much already, so I'm out of the running to get involved at that lefvel.

Whoever takes it over, kudos to them, and I hope for the sake of the participants, they commit to doing a full out effort and not half-assing it.   

Offline otownyaker

• Global Moderator
  • Seasoned Angler
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 05:58:14 pm »
As much as I would love to take on kw as well. Time is hard to come by. What free time I do find I spend fishing or tending to the other sites I run.
I'm glad to here that Oz we be sending out stuff for last year. (to bad I was not in it then).
I have a feeling that KW will still due after thus year. I have talked to Oz ab the site and seeing he is looking to get around 20k for the site I think there will be few buyers. And if some one does pony up the coin. The only way to make back the money is to start charging more for it.
This will drop numbers huge! I'm going to guess by 1/2.
I hope someone does take it on and keeps it a very similar format.
Here's hoping KW will be around next season!

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 09:57:28 pm »
What kayakwars needs is someone good at programming that can fix some of the glitches currently in the system and to make sure the website is up to date. For example why is the 2015 sponsor list(the most important aspect of the tournament) still being updated??? Simplify some of the processes(submissions for example). Then make a few adjustments, one of which I would do is an ability for a member to delete their entry for a short period(say 24 hours) which would give participants the ability to self manage some corrections(when they notice they uploaded the same picture twice, put wrong species etc).

The next step would be setting up a team to correct reported submissions. These could be participants if the system was set up correctly and say a Canadian member moderates US enries, Caribbean moderates Canadians etc. These would have to be volunteers or perhaps could dig up a little something for incentive(free tournament entry, small gift package from sponsors etc).

The next key is to get a good set of sponsors in place and keep on top of them. It shouldn't be too hard to get sponsors to cover the prizes. One thing that a guy should ask is that the sponsors are willing to provide shipping costs of their prizes considering the tournament format. You might be able to line up a few advertisement sponsors as well(pay to advertise on your sponsor page or other spots on website). Then you need to get out and advertise the tournament/website on other fishing/kayaking website, newspapers etc to spread the word and get more people involved.

To give the owner a little incentive to run things and to not lose money I would probably get rid of free entry but you have to keep it cheap, say maybe 10 or 20 dollars. If you have good prizes including some prizes that can be obtained even by people not serious about trying to win(just entering for fun) then the people will enter. What might have to happen is one more year of free entry in which the new management corrects the issues and gives participants the knowledge that things are going to be run properly and prizes will be sent out timely etc then get rid of the free entry in following year. The key as mentioned above is to spread the word on the tournament and get even more involvement so it sparks/keeps sponsor interest and provides a little pocket money for expenses and for the owner.

The way I view it you need 1 or 2 people to handle the advertising/sponsorship work and keep Facebook etc up to date. 1 person to stay on top of the technical aspect of the website and database to keep things updated and working properly(if set up properly it should take minimal work unless making changes). Add a handful of volunteers to moderate entries and the forum etc and it should be successful.

The biggest mistake Oz made imo was not asking for help. He just waited till the end was near so that he could announce his resignation... He should have posted that he needed help to correct entries etc and I am sure people would have stepped forward to help out where possible.

Offline Homebrew76

• Seasoned Angler
  • Cheers!
    • NB Kayak Fishing Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 12:28:53 pm »
20K?   lol, Good luck with that!   The only way someone is going to spend money to acquire the site is if they are going to run the event for profit, at least 5K per year I would think.   That brings in uncertainty and challanges, especially with gathering and more importantly, retaining, sponsor support. 

Finding enough sponsors to donate prizes to cover all the categories, divisions, and random draws is hard enough.   Asking the sponsors to then cover shipping (international shipping!) is a whole other story.

A site run with the goal of covering costs (techincal, shipping,..etc) and all the rest go back into what is given out would be easier to do, but would require a lot of volunteer time from a strong team, and no one I know is going to shell out 20K for that.

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 04:49:58 pm »
Shell out 20gs for a site that has lost most of its support from participants is ridiculous.

First thing anybody considering buying would have to consider would have to be how to regain angler trust and support after the crap shoot the site has become over the last year and half of competition. Having everybody pay to play will more than likely drive even more people away from KW.
If OZ was honest and actually meant what he has said on FB than he never would have been MIA, would have responded to at least some anglers concerns & wouldn't have lied for months to participants. Only to come clean at the end and admit things like prizes were not mailed.
 I think he only came clean because sponsors were starting to look into what happened to the prizes they donated because numerous participants have emailed the sponsors directly. I know I did. It's more about the complete lack of respect he has shown to each and every individual that put time and effort into keeping this thing going, than prizes. The prizes are S@"t anyways I just want to see OZ own up to his word. IMHO anybody that paid should also be refunded their money since they didn't even receive close to what they paid for.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 04:57:10 pm by Kayak Curtis »
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 12:29:32 pm »
Its great that Eric finally came clean with his issues and downfalls of letting it go this long. Im sure pressure from sponsors and his own personally feelings of letting the contestants down. He should however have came forward way back at beginning of year and maybe could have avoided the backlash from everyone. Afterall these were all his lies and deception. With the small amount of winners , he could have personal emailed all of us and explained his situation and worked out something. The involement of everyone wasnt needed .This didnt happen overnight and has been going on for last couple. The guy by all accounts loves his fishing as No 1 and KW as a stepping stone for recognization of himself and other adventures. As for the purchase of site . Some company within fishing /kayaking world would be best fit. Sponsors prizes , manpower to check site and update and leave the headaches to them and let us provide the fishing and fun that it provides. Hope he finishes up his promises and wish him the best . Fish on
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:32:03 pm by shooter »

Offline Homebrew76

• Seasoned Angler
  • Cheers!
    • NB Kayak Fishing Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 02:54:54 pm »
I honestly don't think it will go anywhere, but I've just pitched the idea of taking this over to 'da man'.   Naturally I am not going to say who 'da man' is, other than to say he has the power (no not the 80's cartoon of Hercules) to make things happen. 

Should the idea be well recieved and things happen, you all owe me a beer.  :)  Don't hold your breath though.

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 06:27:54 pm »
It was HeMan not Hercules that had the power " the powers of Grayskull"
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Tags: