Recent

Author Topic: Mounting transducer on Ocean Kayak  (Read 11856 times)

Offline protecteur

• Seasoned Angler
    • Papa Shawn Creative BBQ
Re: Mounting transducer on Ocean Kayak
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 05:03:40 pm »
TheRealCraigAC if you purchased a hummingbird fish finder you just have to call Hummingbird and they will exchange your transducer with the proper Ocean Kayak one that fits perfect in the scupper hole! I will post picture of my install.
Proud owner of:

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
Hobie Revolution 13

My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.ca/

Upper Tantallon, Nova Scotia

Offline TheRealCraigAC

• Ultra Light
  • BASS BASS BASS
    • Craig Tech Services
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 06:14:06 pm »
Thanks protecteur!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

If f = the optimal number of rods to own
and x = your current number of rods
then f = x + 1

Offline Xlobsterman

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 07:05:31 am »
I have an OC 13, and if I was to put a fish finder on it, I would use a through hull transducer in the scupper hole! I have seen some of the transom mount ducers mounted in the hulls of some kayaks, but IMO, this is not the proper way to install them, and I think it greatly reduces the signal quality of the unit its self.

There are proper in hull transducers available, but from the research I have done, they are more expensive than a through hull, so why not just do it right, and go with the through hull mount in the scupper hole on the OC that is designed for it................?

Offline protecteur

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 07:33:47 am »
here you can see transducer install:
(as you can see I used one water tight wire gland which you can get at home depo)

Here's the rest of the pictures:

The transducer cable is very long so I coiled it inside the boat and secure it with tie wraps!

I hope this helps you!
Proud owner of:

Hobie Revolution 13

Offline brendanbaseball

• Greenhorn
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 08:36:40 pm »
Oh hey TheRealCraigAC, sorry I didn't answer right away as I've been away for the week. I did almost exactly what the guy did in the link I posted earlier. I'll try to post a picture of it tomorrow. So far I only have the transducer installed. I still need to permanently mount the screen and wires. I did take it out for the first time today in Ritchie lake and it worked quite well. I just had the screen drilled to a 2x4 piece of wood for a temporary mount. Only issue is you can see the paddle strokes on the screen but I'm not worried about that.

Offline TheRealCraigAC

• Ultra Light
  • BASS BASS BASS
    • Craig Tech Services
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 08:54:12 pm »
Protecteur, that looks pretty good! I was checking out another fellers trident 13 fish finder setup and his looked like it was permanately attached to the mount, I like that yours is removeable. Im hoping to pick a fish finder up this weekend for my bday. What model is yours and where did you get it?
Edit: looks like hummingbird sold at can tire

Brendan, Im fairly new to the area and would love to get out to ritchie lake for pickerel soon. If youd like another body hit me up some time, im in quispam and usually available.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:58:52 pm by TheRealCraigAC »
If f = the optimal number of rods to own
and x = your current number of rods
then f = x + 1

Offline protecteur

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 06:02:04 am »
Mine is a Hummingbird fishfinder which I got at Canadian Tire in early spring on clearance to bring new models in.

If you get any hummingbird fishfinder after the purshased you call Hummingbird and tell them you want to swap the transducer that came with the fishfinder for a Ocean Kayak one. They will swap it for free. You send the old one to them by mail and they will send the ocean Kayak one in return for free. It took about 2 weeks to get mine but it was totaly worth it!
Proud owner of:

Hobie Revolution 13

Offline brendanbaseball

• Greenhorn
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 10:00:00 pm »
Sounds good Craig. I think we are both members of greater saint john kayak anglers group so we may have already seen each other. I'm the redhead teen with the beige Ocean kayak haha. Ritchie lake won't be that great fishing for a while (or at least until the weeds and cover come out ). Once the weeds come out, if you kayak to the very end of the lake in the cove there are some big pickerel. Scum frog in the lily pads or grey and black flukes work bet for me.
I still don't have a picture of the fish finder. I'll hopefully remember tomorrow.

Tags: