Recent

Author Topic: kayak wars 2014  (Read 45121 times)

Offline Homebrew76

• Seasoned Angler
  • Cheers!
    • NB Kayak Fishing Blog
Re: kayak wars 2014
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2014, 07:27:11 am »
Not a bad idea shooter.   I know I accidentally stepped on IPop's toes once this year as we really had no choice but to be targeting the same species given we typically fish together!   Not sure how easy it will be to try and piece together several teams as everyone would pretty much need to buy into the idea.

.... but more importantly, how do we work the end of season beer and bbq party in someone's garage?    I'll volunteer my place for the first one!  lol

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2014, 10:02:17 am »
I love the new blood , less problems with same species and not holding an individual back from more goldman as much. And it would also be a good idea for this site also with some type of team event and scrap the individual event on here . Make a bunch of teams, and pick species or some other team event online per month of fishing. Just suggestions. This also get away from the lone ranger teams because of mainly same species
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:03:58 am by shooter »

Offline Ravyak

• Old School
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2014, 10:04:09 am »
The feud between myself and KC pretty much started because of our lack of easily catchable species... Since our 5 members could only easily catch walleye and pike we had to pick between team or individual standings and after a couple misunderstandings/disagreements and what I consider a flawed system it spiralled out of control... Having team mates that target other species would definitely make it easier to not step on people's toes.

If I enter next year it will be more for fun and I will just upload fish when I can. This year I took it too serious at first because I was unemployed and had nothing better to do...

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2014, 12:03:31 pm »
Thanks for posting. Yep thats the main reason for the split and runaway team. I wanna fish my fishing buddies here but no worries as much about species and more control of what goes on. I dont wanna piss off anyone this way. Believe me i still had more than my share and still left hundreds of point off the site including the other guys. With the country wide teams would not be as much an issue. And this has nothing to do with being a team member. Any west coast / east coast wanna be on my team lol

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2014, 06:44:31 pm »
New guys also put your 2 cents worth. Would love to see more guys on teams.

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2014, 08:26:35 am »
Kayak Wars is a team event.  I fished my first year on Kayak wars with guys from 3 different states and myself in Canada. I tried hard to get out with everyone at least once and that was difficult.  I think that if KW would eliminate the individual standings we wouldn't be talking about splitting up teams across the country.  There are other online derbies that are for individuals.  I like participating on a local team with everyone from the same area.  It would force you to work as a team to split up your targeted species.  I understand that in Alberta it is difficult and maybe other parts of the country but this is for fun and it is still first a team sport.  Here in Essex County we have enough species to go after that we don't need to split things up. 

The feuds are a result of one or more persons on a team turning the season long event into an individual competition.  Guys this is a team event to go out and have fun and as most of you have already found out the prizes aren't something that you need to get to serious about.

There is no "I" (or me) in the word "Team" 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:30:00 am by PikeCreek »

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2014, 09:00:06 am »
VERY well said sir.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2014, 09:13:08 am »
We tried to divy up species between us out here and if everyone would have kept playing as part of our team it would have alleviated a lot of the pressure I felt to fill pike and walleye the past few months. and our team might have continued to fight for 1st.
The way I see it unless they raise monthly limits cross country teams are the way to go.
Who knows this will even be running next year. Organizers showed no real involvement. 1 whole contest this year( poorly advertised).entries without kayaks, corrections not being made when requested or several months later. What I've seen on KW forum this year looks likee plenty of people that have been involved won't brb returning next year because of the above mentioned.
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2014, 09:21:24 am »
I have no issues with KW, it serves the purpose what I look to get out of it and I think the people that are not happy with it are the ones that take it too serious. Just my opinion!

I don't even measure all the fish that I should cause if I am going for a certain species and I catch one of the others, I don't want to be bothered taking the time to get my board out and measure the species I am not targeting.  If it is a trophy or one that I haven't caught yes I will take the time. 

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2014, 10:52:32 am »
The I in team is somewhat if a personal joke. I personally have fun everytime i go out. Take the time to help the other team members where the fish are and show them. And any ither suggestions and info. I dont hoard to myself. And even up it for everyone outthere. So more get involved. I dont like the runaway team like ourselves.

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2014, 07:16:05 pm »
Oh Yeah !
Feel better, had a good day.  :)
Too bad no one could make it out to share the experience of bass fishn in November, I tried.
We'll make our teams however we want, with the main purpose to push each other
to get out and share experiences in the great outdoors. It would be
nice to see BC lads playing again.
If you're worried about points move to Europe or southern states.
Did the "point thing" this year, felt a bit perverse, and will focus on species,
quality and the main thing awesome adventures with paddlers of like mind.  :)

Think the KW veterans are getting tied of the game too, see many not posting much lately.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:17:09 am by EagleEyesFlash »
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2014, 07:52:24 pm »
I didn't think anybody was in this purely as a individual!!& certainly not the 2 guys currently sitting on top of the angler standings. If Shooter was wanting to be top individual he would have never put myself and others visiting during the BCC on the fish he did or share tactics and gear& spots like he did. As for myself if I was worried about individual standings I wouldn't have spent every single Sunday of the fishing season with my  buddy who's in a wheelchair out in his boat nailing the fish, I would haven been in the yak racking up points.
The only thing the individual standings show me is who spends the most time on the water doing something he or she loves.

Making cross country teams is a great idea. Likely could get more people involved that don't know enough kayak anglers to form their own team in there region or province for that matter. It should equal More teams & more competitive teams. Not that there was anything stopping us from making teams up however we wanted in the first place.
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2014, 08:40:12 am »
Oh Yeah !
Feel better, had a good day.  :)
Too bad no one could make it out to share the experience of bass fishn in November, I tried.
We'll make our teams however we want, with the main purpose to push each other
to get out and share experiences in the great outdoors
. It would be
nice to see BC lads playing again.
If you're worried about points move to Europe or southern states.
Did the "point thing" this year, felt a bit perverse, and will focus on species,
quality and the main thing awesome adventures with paddlers of like mind.  :)

Think the KW veterans are getting tied of the game too, see many not posting much lately.

Very good comments Brent.  I still enjoy KW and will continue to participate.  I won't let the temptation of catching fish for the sake of racking up points get in the way of quality and experiences, and I will participate with a team of local guys.  It is like getting out to play golf.  Sometimes you go by yourself to work on your game and sometimes you play with a group for the camaraderie.  For me fishing replaced golfing.

Offline tsquared

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish worship--is it wrong?
« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2014, 05:33:05 pm »
" For me fishing replaced golfing" I tried boiling the hell out of those little white mothers but I just couldn't get them tender. Fish taste way better! ;D
T2
Metchosin BC
(Metchosin is a coast Salish word meaning "stinking fish")

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2014, 06:19:52 pm »
That's good fishing T2, go after something you want to eat, that's what I use to do,
lots of selective harvest.  :)
Good job Shooter and KC, enjoy your point battle.  ;)
Give er !  :D
Respectively EEF  8)
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !