Recent

Author Topic: 2013 Wilderness Systems Commander 140 Angler  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Baitcaster

• Ultra Light
2013 Wilderness Systems Commander 140 Angler
« on: September 12, 2013, 03:26:21 pm »
I bought my Wilderness Systems Commander 140 Angler in July, 2013 and have been using it heavily.

The angler edition comes with two flush-mount rod holders behind the seat plus one Scotty rod holder and slide trax mount plate.  It also comes with an anchor trolley and a couple of small pieces of the silent traction material.

This is my first kayak.  I have wanted a fishing kayak for some time and did lots of research before buying the Commander 140.

Why did I buy this model of kayak?  Well there are so many things I like about this boat.  It was the ample canoe-like cargo space that initially attracted me to the Commander 140.  There is also lots of room for me, at 6' 2" and 250 lbs.  The seat is really comfortable and there's plenty of room to change your seating position on long dasys on the water.

The slide trax system was also a selling feature for me, and I am using it extensively.  I have the Harmony dashboard mounted on the top tracks which is home to my fish finder, camera and a Scotty cup holder.

On the side tracks (which run the entire length of the boat) I have mounted a RAM transducer arm, the anchor trolley (including a plate with a cleat for the anchor line and clam cleat for the trolley line) and two side mounted Scotty rocket launcher rod holder tubes.  The system works quite well and it is nice to have the option of moving things around on the boat and not drilling a bunch of holes.

Stability is a huge plus on this boat.  I can stand and fish quite easily and confidently in this boat.  When sitting it is quite easy and comfortable to throw your legs over one side of the boat and access your tackle bag and rods.  I also spend quite a lot of time fishing in this position.

A feature I didn't give much thought before I bought the boat was the molded in "captain's chair" which sits behind and above the regular seat.  However, I find myself using this seating position more and more often.  It is a great place to sit and cast with better visibility.

With the combination of cargo space, stability and easy rigging the boat is extremely "fishable".  However, it is not without its limitations.

This is a big heavy boat.  It's not built for speed or maneuverability.  Using the GPS on my fishfinder I found I could comfortably cruise at about 2.5 knots without a lot of exertion.  Paddling somewhat harder I could get the boat to go just above 3 knots.

When paddling on windy days, weathercocking can be difficult to overcome.  A rudder may be a good addition.

This is not a big water or offshore kayak.  Paddling in a moderate chop can result in a wet ride, and there are no scupper holes in this boat!  I've taken on quite a bit of water on windy days.  Wilderness Systems sells three covers to address this.  I bought the smaller bow cover/storage bag.  It helps a little bit, but I wouldn't rely on it to tackle heavy chop.  They also sell a larger cockpit cover that looks like it might do the job, but I haven't tried it (it's not compatible with the dashboard system).  Finally they sell a cover for the rear tank well.  If you spend a lot of time fishing in moderate to heavy chop or if you launch through surf this is not the boat for you.

If you regularly fish smaller, flatter bodies of water this boat is excellent.  The rigging possibilities are virtually unlimited.  Stability is excellent and you get almost as much cargo space as a canoe.

Offline PikeYaker

• CKA TEAM - Tournament Planner
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Leave nothing on the beach but footprints!!!!!!!!!
Re: 2013 Wilderness Systems Commander 140 Angler
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:45:22 pm »
Great write up. I am thinking of adding one of these to the fleet. It truly is a great boat for many purposes. Glad you like it so much. Can't wait to see some great pics of some monster fish with your yak.
Mike Zilkowsky

Wilderness Systems Fishing Kayaks Pro Staff
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Scotty Fishing Products Pro Staff
Blackfalds, AB

Wilderness Systems ATAK
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 130X
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Angler

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 11:37:15 am »
Nice looking setup.
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline Baitcaster

• Ultra Light
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 02:25:47 pm »
Thanks guys!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4

Offline DuFf

• Ultra Light
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 02:24:48 pm »
I think I recognize that boat and location.....    8)

Nice write up.
My wife likes her Commander 120 and uses the captains seat a lot as well.
I love her.........we launched at Silent Lake and on the other side of the lake a big snake dropped down from under the bow floatation blocks. She shouted " I've got company" and calmly but hastily paddled back across the lake to the docks and jumped out on shore. I followed and removed about a 3 foot Garter Snake that had slithered past her to the stern. She claims she would have jumped in the water if it was a Water snake.......me too.

Cheers
DuFf
"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines"

Offline Baitcaster

• Ultra Light
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 10:01:44 am »
Update - so shortly after writing this review I noticed the seat started making a grinding noise while paddling.  The Commander seat is removable and can slide back and forth.  It sits on two rails that run under the gunwale, but most of the weight is supported on the hull of the boat.

So, what you've got is the flexing plastic of the seat base rubbing on the flexing plastic of the hull of the boat, which is creating a grinding sound like teeth grinding together.  Not only is this extremely annoying, I am sure it is not helping to bring in the fish.  Moreover, It is creating wear where the seat rests on the hull.

I first tried to remedy the problem by attaching felt discs to the bottom of the seat.  The felt discs are originally intended to attach to chair legs to prevent them scratching floors, and they are available at any hardware store.  This helped, but didn't eliminate the grinding, i.e., the felt still made some grinding noise while rubbing on the hull.

So, finally I attached a couple of strips of the silent traction material to the hull where the seat rests.  I haven't had the boat out on the water yet, but sitting on the floor of the agarage it appears that this may have solved the problem.  Stay tuned...

Offline DuFf

• Ultra Light
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 11:54:50 pm »
Our seat does not grind.

You might want to take a pass on the Timbits     ;D
"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines"

Offline Baitcaster

• Ultra Light
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 10:32:36 am »
It's not timbits Duff. It's the beer!