Recent

Author Topic: Hawg Trough  (Read 7332 times)

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
Hawg Trough
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:56:13 am »
This is not a new piece of equipment on the market, but I thought I would take a moment to give my opinion. Although I have been fishing out if my kayak for years, I was always too cheap to spend the $20 to get a Hawg Trough. I have used flat, folding measuring boards, paddle stickers,.... with a lot of frustration. I often felt that I was putting too much stress on the fish trying to get everything in order while keeping the fish on the measuring device to snap a pic. More often than not I just released the fish without a pic.

This year I needed to find a better way of performing CPR (Catch Photo Release) because I committed to enrolling in AOTY and Kayak Wars. Missing pics was not an option. So, on a recent trip down to a Cabela's store in Washington I bought a Hawg Trough.

Last weekend I went Trout fishing and I had my first chance to use it. The funny thing was that I started off using my folding Rapala board because I knew the fish in the lake I was at were not that big. The average fish was about 12". I thought that the trough would be overkill. It only took one landed 12" trout, and a whole bunch of four letter words, to make me change my mind.

I put the Rapala board away and pulled out the Hawg Trough. It is big, so I took a bit of time to find a nice resting place for it on my Cuda 14. The next landed trout was when the light bulb went off and I realized what I had been missing. The trough cradled the fish perfectly. The width of the trough also allowed me lots of room for my AOTY token as well. With the fish cradled, and one hand resting on it, I was able to use my free hand specifically for taking the photo. The fish didn't seem to fight back in the cradle like they had on the flat boards before.

Overall I am extremely happy with the purchase and a little dumbfounded as to why it took me so long to get it. I had considered building my own out of PVC pipe in the past, but the cost would have been higher, and the DIY trough would have been way heavier.

The only thing that I had to do with my Hawg Trough was to use a sharpie and blacken the raised increments. The whole inch measurements were already black, but I wanted all the measurements black for easy reading.

So, if you are wondering if you should make the purchase, I would say go for it. You should be very happy with it. I am looking forward to getting some big fish in the trough soon.

<°))))>{
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
Re: Hawg Trough
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 11:07:35 am »
Glad you like the trough Len.   ;)

I find the curvature helps to calm the fish too.

The trough sinks though so putting some foam in the grooves on the
underside to make it bouyant is a good idea. 

If packing a 30" board is a pain, image what the 52" board I made is like.  :)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:29:43 am by EagleEyesFlash »
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Alan High

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:22:56 pm »
I use a pvc pipe that I cut in half and put an adhesive Rapala ruler inside. The 4 inch pipe is wide enough to cradle larger pike. It seems like overkill for smaller trout, but at least they don't flop around as much. I put a chunk of pool noodle on a cord off on end in case it goes overboard. I was playing with a few storage locations for it on the Cuda and the bungees for the rod stagers beside the seat hold it well, keep it out of my way, and is still accessible.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:39:40 pm »
I looked at the Hawg Trough at Cabela's. 
I didnt like the size/length of it for storage on my Kayak. 
Im trying to reduce the amount of space I use, this goes against that.
Id rather use my Plano bump board which is telescopic. 

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline PikeYaker

• CKA TEAM - Tournament Planner
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Leave nothing on the beach but footprints!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:36:16 pm »
I use the Plano as well. Expands and floats. Did the same with the sharpie coloring the markings and used a stick on ruler cut up for the short measurements.
Mike Zilkowsky

Wilderness Systems Fishing Kayaks Pro Staff
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Scotty Fishing Products Pro Staff
Blackfalds, AB

Wilderness Systems ATAK
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 130X
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Angler

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 06:15:20 am »
Heres mine

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 06:17:59 am »
Vinyl fence post. works great flat surface.

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 06:35:32 am »
another

Offline Baitcaster

• Ultra Light
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 10:41:57 am »
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:46:19 pm by Baitcaster »

Offline Boknows

• Old School
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 11:42:34 am »
I also have the Shooter board and it works great...I've added and end to mine to help with lining up the fish...I've also made one for Muskie at 60" long...ya it sounds really big to deal with on the kayak and it is...but...you need one that will go at least 55 on Lake St. Clair or ya might just be SOL.  Still trying to figure out where to put either one on the new Outback
Windsor, Ontario

If your not livin on the edge, your takin up too much space!

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 02:13:35 pm »
I ordered the yak attack black pak, with the hawg tough bracket last week. Seems like a ok place for a longer board. Think it might be a pain to turn around and detach every time a fish needs to be measured. Storing a 40" flat measure board under my leg seemed to work pretty well last year as well.
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta

Offline Flyfisher

• Seasoned Angler
  • John 3:16
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 08:13:53 pm »
https://secure.finishlinestudios.com/v3/clients/muskyshop_com/files/cart/products/925/102435
This is the one I'm using this year, easy to store in a paddle clip! It floats too!
Ocean Kayak Big Game, Pescator Pro 120, Trident 11

Offline Str8Yakn

• Ultra Light
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 01:46:15 am »
I use the Plano bump board as well.  I used black gorilla tape to tape down 2 1" rare earth magnets within reaching distance on the back of my yak and taped 2 more 1" rare earth magnets under the bump board.  The rare earth magnets I think hold upto 50 lbs so no worries about using a leash or losing it. One time I was actually on the highway with my yak on my rooftop before realizing I had left my bump board on my yak, pulled over, and it was still there.
Joel Gaddi (TheGaddiman)

Wilderness Systems Radar 135
Ascend FS12T
Calgary, AB

Offline Kayak Curtis

• Old School
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 08:04:42 am »
Good idea have to try something like that with next trough. They sure break pretty easily tho.i have a crack 9/10 of the way through mine.  Nice if there was a more durable board on the market.
Trident 13 angler
Edmonton area, Alberta