Recent

Author Topic: Hmmm...Where are the canoe fishermen???  (Read 19745 times)

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Greenhorn
Re: Hmmm...Where are the canoe fishermen???
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2014, 10:47:52 am »
I am still resisting the scourge of boats that are squirted, not built!

It isn't easy bucking the trend of bulbous poly jelly beans, penguin flippers, and boats that weigh more than my girlfriend.  But I persevere! 
You can pry my single blade out of my cold dead hand!   (it will take you awhile to catch up though)

Had to stop paddling to let the Hobie catch up.
Damn that single blade looks sexy, you know I'm picking up all the chicks on the beach.  ;)

C'mon, admit it.  One boat looks sleek, quick, and damn sexy.
The other looks like it the front yard at a trailer park.  :D

And not a single molecule of polyurethane was harmed.
Composites FTW!  Looks like it's doing 10mph standing still.   8)

I've got a 16' kevlar that I use with a 2hp yamaha up north on back lakes in the Port Loring area...

I wonder if Wildeye still stops back here?  I love the Port Loring area, my favourite area to camp on backlakes, and the fishing is great!
If you ever stop back in here let's compare notes, I've travelled all through that area between the Pickeral & Mag rivers.

Just watch out for the float planes!

Fishing isn't bad either!

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2014, 11:30:22 am »
Chris, that 5th photo down looks suspiciously like the Pickeral River launch at Flemings Landing.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Greenhorn
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2014, 01:41:15 pm »
Chris, that 5th photo down looks suspiciously like the Pickeral River launch at Flemings Landing.

Ding!

Takes me less than 3hrs to get onto Smokey from there.  Head East though and there's a nice chain of lakes that hardly sees anybody in a season.

There's a lake just NE of Noganosh called Windy, I want to get in there for bass opener, but it's looking like a brutal slog.  Woot, my fav!

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2014, 02:49:44 pm »
About the same for us last August. We left my daughter's place in Bradford at 9 a.m. and finished setting up camp across from the fish camp on Smokey at last light at about 7. Did you see my report of the 18 hour electrical storm we experienced? Great spot though, thanks for the recommendation. I'd like to get back in there again.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 12:27:23 am »
I am still resisting the scourge of boats that are squirted, not built!

It isn't easy bucking the trend of bulbous poly jelly beans, penguin flippers, and boats that weigh more than my girlfriend.  But I persevere! 
You can pry my single blade out of my cold dead hand!   (it will take you awhile to catch up though)

Had to stop paddling to let the Hobie catch up.
Damn that single blade looks sexy, you know I'm picking up all the chicks on the beach.  ;)

Man, the forum has been great for a couple laughs today. I just rubbed my hands to shreds in the garage trying the hand drill and was pretty cranky after failing for the millionth time. Thank-you guys.
Kamloops, BC

Offline Shloim

• Local Pro
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2014, 07:00:14 pm »
Been fishing from a beast of a canoe for the last couple years complete with outriggers and trolling motor. Love it but its a chore to load up and set up although easy is becoming  tiresome. Need something easier to get me out on the water...Id have been at Sail tonight if it weren't for the damn PTA meeting my wife went to.
Tight lines...
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2014, 07:22:06 pm »
The new Native FX series look really nice. I finally have my 14.5 that I bought last spring set up for fly fishing, and then they put these out...

The 12 would be compact and nice to move around I would think:
Ultimate 12 FX

If I was looking for another hybrid, this would be it.
Kamloops, BC

Offline Shloim

• Local Pro
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 08:40:58 pm »
I also like the feel free Lure boats they are kind of canoeish kayaks...
Tight lines...
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2014, 09:37:21 pm »
I also like the feel free Lure boats they are kind of canoeish kayaks...
Didn't know about that one, thanks. Looks like it has a nice open cockpit that may be good for fly fishing too.
Shorter than the Native and 12 lbs heavier, but the added safety of a SOT... never an easy decision.
Kamloops, BC

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2014, 12:12:54 am »
I've had a few canoes. had another 17' given to me last year that I hope to take into one of the local lakes a friend has a camp on. woods in great shape but the canvas is done... i'll do the nasty this summer and cover it in fibre glass. a pity but I have 3 yaks that need my attention, so they come first (and even I am not crazy enough to go shark fishing from a canoe...well, maybe not that crazy - lol!!)
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Tags: