Recent

Author Topic: Hmmm...Where are the canoe fishermen???  (Read 19912 times)

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Re: Hmmm...Where are the canoe fishermen???
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 11:45:04 am »
Fishing will never become illegal :( Dont even state that...lol..
We are all canoe converts...admitting there was a problem is the first step to recovery...

jediangler

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 04:26:54 pm »
 :o
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:08:48 pm by jediangler »

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 04:51:40 pm »
Theres no chance tha PETA will acheive a non=fishermen status...lol...We as fishermen fund the government agencies protecting the environment...private groups only fund selected areas...without our licensing money areas like stocking programs, river enhancement and creel surveys to manage populations dont get done and the fishery falls apart...I send hatemail to PETA personally...usually a fax with a dead animal pic of the month...there are anti-Peta groups you can join as well Jedi...groups that are active against the spread of PETA...look into one of them if you are scared...they keep posted the members to the latest garbage PETA is spreading...

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 05:44:58 pm »
I believe PETA does already have an existing campaign against fishing. I believe their main belief is that it harms the fish when they are hooked faught and released. I did a paper in University on the survival rate of several species after being hooked and handled then released with great success. I am unsure what data they are throwing around but you can always find at least one scientific paper out there that will attempt to prove what you want it to prove you just have to look hard enough for it.
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 10:38:07 pm »
yes...that is true...they are against treating animals in anyway different than the natural...We live in a world where the Disney movies are changing the minds of folks...people relate voices to f'ing fish and feel sorry for them when they are hooked...fishing is a right and a blessing that has been given to us since the beginning of time...theres nothing more rewarding than gathering your own food for the table at your house...this is the way it was forever...just in the last couple generations have we become the consumers we are...sad really...what would happen if we had to fend for ourselves like the olden days?

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 10:23:36 am »
The modern urban consumer believes that beef comes with red colouring in a white strofoam tray covered in plastic wrap, that trout comes on a bed of ice with no guts, and that the only beautiful women have staples in their breasts.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 11:36:12 am »
MMMMMmmmmm breast staples... I know I am good to supply my family with food if ever things collapse and there is no food in the stores. They better get to liking fish in a hurry...LOL... All those out there that would be considered outdoorsmen by their friends and aquaintences would become hero's in their communities.... I can see it now..

Man what a stretch.. we went from being previous canoe users to godheads in like 3 days.
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 11:57:37 am »
lol...Anti-PETA, Heroes, Modern urban Consumer haters...lol...This is similar to an AA or NA meeting :) whoops...I wouldnt know...ha

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Greenhorn
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 08:41:27 pm »
Fishing will never become illegal :( Dont even state that...lol..

Just access.......

As a die hard canoeist I'm having a hard time resisting the siren call of the 'yak.  But having an equally hard time pulling the trigger.

Sure trying to fish from a canoe in wind sucks....but then again so does a wet ass or paddling with waders in August :D 
It's not as easy to pimp out a composite canoe and gadgets are cool.....but a plastic barge squirted out by a minimum wage machine operator can't compare with the paddling aesthetics of a well made hand lay-up canoe.
Should I get a canoe and just paddle it with a double blade.....or a 'yak and paddle with a single blade?

Oh the choices!

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 10:37:58 pm »
haha...the addict speaks...This is a reform thread...lol...we support eachother with talk of canoeists being underneath our level...Come to the darkside my amigo and taste the pure blood of the double bladed dagger :p
If your a purist of art and handcrafted goodness then partake in our inuit forms of kayaks or the wooden arts available for sit ins...or if your liking your high dry ass continue to enjoy us peddling and paddling past you at tripple the speed to get to your honey holes to rape them dry  :o :D

jediangler

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 11:31:28 pm »

:o
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:09:14 pm by jediangler »

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 12:18:14 am »
OMG...your a drug dealer :p telling addicts to take red pills instead of blue ones...lol...

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Greenhorn
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 03:04:08 am »
I've paddled a poly Ultimate and didn't care for it.

Anyways back to the original question, where are all the canoe fishermen?
It's been my observation that most canoeists paddle for the sake of paddling and getting into the bush away from "life", and fishing is only a minor incidental activity.

Kayakers treat their craft like unpowered motorboats with angling the primary goal, partly because they come from a completely different background with a different objective and partly because of the limitations of SOT kayaks.

I'm somewhere in the middle of both camps, I fish for salmon on Lake O but am mocked by my downriggering 200hp brethren as being a navigation hazard, kayakers look down on canoes with not so fond memories of flailing about at Scout camp with 80lb Grummans  & Colemans, and hard core canoeists who dehydrate their own food & fashion titanium tent pegs to save a few ounces look at my 20lb. tackle box as almost heresy and mark me as a dilettante for not being able to single carry a 1km portage at a trot.........oh woe is the fishing canoeist.

Heh, atleast I have a forum all to myself down here in the basement :D

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 11:01:15 am »
I guess I'm the exception to your observation as I come from the canoe/kayak tripping side and fished mostly as an add-on to those trips.  I gradually became more and more interested in fishing from kayaks as the primary activity to the point where now I fish far more than I "trip".  As the saying goes, "Whatever floats your boat!"
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline wbb_1955

• Greenhorn
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 07:24:44 pm »
Hello from Thunder Bay - I have been riding my 15 ft coleman canoe for over 10 years.  I paid the wopping sum of $250. and a bottle of vodka and got the boat and two paddles.  I have had at least $100,000 dollars worth of fun paddlin, fishing, watching beaver, otter, eagles, pike, bass, walley, neibours etc.  I spend most of my time on lower shebandowan about 45 minutes west of Thunder Bay.  I am depaiting about bying a sit yak but I have dressed my canoe out similar to your yaks and have the ability to put on a 50lb thrust electric motor when I wish to travel a long ways.  I use my fish finder in deeper water, but find just about most of my fish in the 10-15 ft range.

Tags: