Recent

Author Topic: Kayak Wars Canada  (Read 38530 times)

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
Re: Kayak Wars Canada
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 05:19:49 pm »
You sign up for the team that you want eg. Boknows has started a team called Yakinbass,  Shooter will go on and register with the team name Yakinbass.  Eric from Kayak wars will link the members that signed up under the name yakinbass to create at team link.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline PikeYaker

• CKA TEAM - Tournament Planner
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Leave nothing on the beach but footprints!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 06:16:50 pm »
I'm a little confused about this process. Sound interesting and I'd like to get into it. Do we register before we have a team??
Quote from Fishwhisperer
"Sunday evening I will start linking you guys to the assigned teams and you'll be on your way for Feb 1st (I'm sure you guys are still frozen up there for a couple months anyway.. lol)."
Does this mean to register then we are being randomly put on teams??
If that's not the case does anybody have any room on their team for a stranger from the prairies.

Curtis. Are you a member of the Kayak Anglers of Alberta group on Facebook? I posted on there to names. Fishwhisperer, fishnhound and myself are helping people ion BC and AB get on teams. See my post there and we will get you set up
Mike Zilkowsky

Wilderness Systems Fishing Kayaks Pro Staff
Adventure Technology Paddles Pro Staff
Scotty Fishing Products Pro Staff
Blackfalds, AB

Wilderness Systems ATAK
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 130X
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Angler

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 08:02:23 pm »
If you want a saltwater person, Id likely be in for this.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2013, 09:44:37 pm »
You sign up for the team that you want eg. Boknows has started a team called Yakinbass,  Shooter will go on and register with the team name Yakinbass.  Eric from Kayak wars will link the members that signed up under the name yakinbass to create at team link.

Hey everyone. I can't get into much detail right now but PikeCreek has it right. You don't have to sign up today or tomorrow, so you can reach out to people and get team names, etc decided on and then register with that team name. Can't remember exactly, but I believe you can form a team up until May. I am not sure though if you can start posting catches without being on a team. I will have more time tomorrow to try to get a better explanation together. For now it's opening night for the Canucks.
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 03:28:12 pm »
First.. Thanks KC for pointing out cabelas.ca not .com for shipping from Winnipeg, however I HAVEN'T
found a hawg trough in the Canadian store.

Second.. okay FishWhisperer you have gotten Kayak Wars to make a Canadian division, so Canadian
teams will just be competing against themselves and not any other Northern Americans !?
If this is the case what's the point ? Guess to try to win some freebies and get more recognition from
yak anglers world wide. The Windsor lads live right at the border and think they wanted to compete and/or
team up with their American neighbors. I was hoping to compete against them too !
This is CanadianKayakAnglers.com, we have our own AOTY and really hope you submit entries this year .

I'll wait for this Kayak Wars thing to iron out the rules, I'm frozen in till late march the earliest anyways. 

Lots of time for most of us to register.  :)

Brent
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:29:20 am by EagleEyesFlash »
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 05:45:42 pm »
If you look at last year's standing in the Freshwater Division, all regions were added together for final standings.  That is the way KW keeps track all year.  Only the individual standings were separated by regions. 

If you look at the point distribution for Freshwater Fish it could use some work.  Small Mouth Bass you get 15 points, LM Bass and Walleye 10 points.  They made changes last year to Salmon during the year because people complained the point distribution was too low for Salmon. They have shown they are flexible.

Offline SturgeonRod

• Seasoned Angler
  • Lifes to short to do anything half a$$
    • Sturgeon Rods Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 06:41:32 pm »
 From my undersyanding. The only reason for competing against each other is the lack of time for organizing a region and other info regarding fishing in Canada. This year will be a research and development year for a Canadian region next year, providing we can meet and or exceed the minimum requirements to have our own region. From what I'm told we are not the first country to be in this position. The more ppl to get involved the better it will be.
-Rodney-

Pitt Meadows
British Columbia
Canada

Offline tsquared

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish worship--is it wrong?
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 08:28:07 pm »
i'd be in if someone needs a saltwater member. I do fish a lot under sail on my Hobie, so I don't know whether that's allowable or not.
T2
Metchosin BC
(Metchosin is a coast Salish word meaning "stinking fish")

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 09:19:05 am »
These are the only 2 rules that I see that references type of kayak.  There are 

Tsquared - you got any pics of your rigging.  I just got a new hull from Hobie and I am rigging it for sailing/fishing.  Have looked around the net and trying to come up with the best rigging for fishing Lake St. Clair for Muskie and Walleye, and Lake Erie, Walleye, and Steelhead.  I am trying to keep any rigging off of the amas and akas.  Considering rocket launchers right behind the seat with putting a YakAttack mount at the bottom of cup holder on left side behind seat.

10.  ALL catches must be made from a kayak, SUP, canoe/hybrid. (No Wading or Out-Of-Kayak fishing).

18.  Pedal drive kayaks are allowed. Motorized mechanics for prupulsion on kayaks are NOT ALLOWED to be used at this present time and the decision to use them may be altered officially at any point of the season if felt necessary. If you are legitimately disabled an unable to paddle or pedal a kayak please contact the organizers and let us know your situation and we will allow motorized kayaks.

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 12:39:18 pm »
A few responses here.

I'm in guys. I would like to be teamed up with a bunch of retired guys with no wives (or wives they don't like very much) if possible.

1.  This just makes me laugh.  ;D  We are all thinking it, but you were the only one to say it Transplant.

I'm a little confused about the format.  I thought the total per month was the total points the team can get per month.  Then I noticed the entry for sturgeon.

- Sturgeon - (minimum length 36 inches) - 50 points - 10 per month
- Trophy Fish Length (72 inches) - 35 bonus points ID = 101

So now I assume the total per month is # of fish of that species/month for the team.  Is that the case?

2.  This is my understanding.  Someone set me straight if this is wrong.  The good thing is that this is all done automatically based on submissions.

a) Each team member will contribute points to the teams totals.  Each member's biggest fish for that species will count towards total inches for the team.  That is why it can be beneficial to have team members from other provinces, etc.. You can get more species points.  Bonus points are also awarded if there is a trophy size bonus. 

b) Each member can record as many fish of each species as they want up to the monthly maximum and that is kept for individual standings in each division.  The largest fish of each species they record is automatically added to the teams totals.

Read #13 in the rules for a better explanation.

3.  Kayak Curtis - You need to be on a team with a minimum of 3 and a max of 5 members.  Basically someone (team captain if you will) registers themselves and puts in a team name.  Then they share that name with the other members they want.  Those members then register and put the team name in.  The administrators of the site then put the teams together on the site. 

The quote I had in my response was from Eric of Kayak Wars.  He was just saying that he will start to put names together on teams starting last night.

First.. Thanks KC for pointing out cabelas.ca not .com for shipping from Winnipeg, however I HAVEN'T
found a hawg trough in the Canadian store.

Second.. okay FishWhisperer you have gotten Kayak Wars to make a Canadian division, so Canadian
teams will just be competing against themselves and not any other Northern Americans !?
If this is the case what's the point ? Guess to try to win some freebies and get more recognition from
yak anglers world wide. The Windsor lads live right at the border and think they wanted to compete and/or
team up with their American neighbors. I was hoping to compete against them too !
This is CanadianKayakAnglers.com, we have our own AOTY and really hope you submit entries this year .

4.  Brent.  I hate writing things specific like this because it can be taken the wrong way, so please don't take any of this as confrontational or personal.

a) There were a bunch of people in BC and AB that wanted to get onto Kayak Wars but there weren't any teams that they could join.  Some joined teams in the US in the past and felt intimidated because they were so hardcore.  Some people just want to go out and have fun and it would be great for them to be able to join in and contribute to a team instead of being by themselves.

b)  I am a Canadian and my personal goal is to promote the sport of kayak angling, and to let the world know that we are not some frozen land to the north for 11 months of the year.  That was my main goal in contacting Kayak Wars to set up a Canadian Division.  I wanted to see the Canadian Flag on Kayak Wars to promote, and I have accomplished that.  Now we want to put some teams together in Canada to show the world that we are serious and we catch fish. :)  Why not put together a dream team like Jeff said and call it team CKA like the guys at NWKA do?

c)  The Canadian Division was set up like Rodney (SturgeonRod) points out.  We needed to get 4 teams together to show we are serious.  This is a process that we have to go through to get things started.  PikeCreek seems to know the most about this contest and how the scoring takes place.  I am still trying to get some clarification on exactly how the Canadian division will be run and I will keep you all posted. 

d)  AOTY -  Yes, I haven't spent much time doing any contests before, but I plan on spending more time competing in these events for fun.  And, just because I play lotto BC, it doesn't mean that I don't play the Lotto Max.  ;D  If there are multiple contests with chances of winning prizes then who doesn't want that chance?

Hopefully that explains my motivation for trying to help get this going.  The AOTY is a great contest as well and I have every intention of promoting it too. Kayak Wars is not to compete against AOTY, it's exactly the opposite.  It could bring more attention to the sport in Canada which in turn could lead to more users of the CKA.com site.   I have been really active in promoting our sport in BC over the past and we are finally seeing growth that I have been hoping for for years.  I just want to keep that growth going.

5.  tsquared - I have emailed the question in to Eric just to confirm, but as PikeCreek pointed out in the rules, there doesn't seem to be any issue.  The only real issue I would see is those running trolling motors, or an OK Tourque.

PikeCreek - Thanks for all the info in this thread.  You seem to be the most up to date on the KWars.  I appreciate your input.
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
  • Jackson Kayak Fishing Team Kokatat Ambassador
    • Fishnhound - Kayak Fishing
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 02:55:54 pm »
Well said.
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline tsquared

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish worship--is it wrong?
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 09:50:52 pm »
Fishwhisperer--thanks for looking into the sail question  for me--much appreciated.
PikeCreek-Here is a couple  of pics that I took last summer when I was rigging my AI.
http://canadiankayakanglers.com/forum/index.php?topic=811.75
I am doing the opposite of your plan by putting most everything on the haka. I have a revo that I use if I don't want to sail. PM me if you want to talk more about it--I promise you--you wil have a blast this summer.
T2
Metchosin BC
(Metchosin is a coast Salish word meaning "stinking fish")

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »
Here is another update.

1.  There is no need to get a Hawg Trough.  Any measuring device will work as long as you can view it in the photo.

2.  Hobbies with sails are allowed.  Any kayak with sails will be allowed then.

3.  Canadian teams can have US members as long as they are fishing the same waters with you.

4.  There will be both a Freshwater and Saltwater division for Canada.

5.  Depending on how many Canadian teams we get to register, they would like to have us competing in our own saltwater division. As it stands right now we would be competing against all other regions in freshwater. Due to the time-window for fishing way up north, they have asked if we may want to compete in freshwater just amongst ourselves. With this particular issue, they are asking for feedback from us to see what we really would like.

They are really excited to get us on board.  I am inquiring more about prizes, etc..

Updated Prize information. - Jan 21, 7:46pm

Eric has confirmed the following for me.  If anybody has any ideas / contacts for Sponsors then let me know.  I believe that last year there was also extra points awarded for sponsor referrals and donations.

There will be award certificates for the top 3 teams/anglers for your region. The first place team will for sure get prizes and depending on how many sponsors we get, we hope to get enough prizes to give to 2nd and 3rd place teams as well.

If any of you up there are able to recruit sponsors to donate gear, this will help with getting more prizes back to more people.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:46:52 pm by FishWhisperer »
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 02:05:30 am »
Another update.

Eric has now set up the teams page to show the registered teams.  If you have a team together then get signed up.  It looks like we have about 3 teams coming out of BC and AB.  I hope some more east coast teams jump in.

Team page is at http://kayakwars.com/teams.php
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2013, 03:35:47 am »
i thought i would start up a team, since they were looking for salt water people i called it Canadian Oceans. ouird, tsquared and anybody else interested in a salt water team?
 there was an error at the end, i went to do it again but it detects my email is already in use, so it at least took the info. it says up to 48hrs to set up registration and teams.

question, do we have to set up seperately for salt and fresh water teams, or are we only allowed one devision or team?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:59:18 am by ipop »
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Tags: contests