Recent

Author Topic: Taking the tourney pic  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Boknows

• Old School
Taking the tourney pic
« on: September 28, 2012, 01:31:19 pm »
I am entering a muskie tourney in Nov....I have a measuring board that will do the trick, but am trying to figure out the best way to take the photo so it gets the entire fish (minimum is 44') into the frame and take a good enough digital pic so they can zoom in on my winning fish's length!  My yak isn't big enough or stable enough to stand in to get the camera up there....Any ideas to accomplish this...I want to be able to release a live fish so messing around taking a lot of shots to get the 'right' one isn't what I'm looking for.
Windsor, Ontario

If your not livin on the edge, your takin up too much space!

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
Re: Taking the tourney pic
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 02:01:09 pm »
Ha! million dollar question.  If you have a partner with you that would be the best option for your best trophy shot.

If you don't, then only way is a HD Video camera setup where you mount to front of kayak and hold musky horizontally in front of camera.  Next problem will be to make sure you have a camera with wide angle lens.  Last year I tried taking a shot of a 41" Musky that didn't even come close to getting into the frame of the video.  I had a kodak playsport back then with no wide angle.  I now use HD Drift which has a wide angle. 

I am going on the Upper DR tonight to see if the Musky are in yet.  Tomorrow I may try Lighthouse Cove in the afternoon.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline Boknows

• Old School
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:19:41 pm »
I'm gonna have sit in my kayak in my yard and practice with my camera. I hope to get out Sunday to lighthouse cove for the big boys. Good luck!
Windsor, Ontario

If your not livin on the edge, your takin up too much space!

Offline Alan High

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 12:15:31 am »
I use a half width PVC pipe with a tape measure sticker on the inside, so it cradles the fish and they don't flop around quite as much. I can keep my left hand restraining the fish on the board and hold my camera above my head and shoot the full length. It takes a bit of practice to get the angle right, but it seems to work well. Definitely take more than one shot of the fish. Good luck.

Offline BobD

• Old School
    • NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:42:35 am »
You could try something like the XShot camera extender.  It could extend the hight upward that you can have the camera and allow you to get the full fish in the picture.  I suspect you would have to practice with it to get consistent enough with it to relialy catch everything though.

http://xshot.com/products/xshot-2

Tags: