Recent

Author Topic: Getting down deep without a downrigger  (Read 3107 times)

Offline kayakman

• Seasoned Angler
Getting down deep without a downrigger
« on: September 01, 2012, 05:33:42 pm »
I'm just wondering what devices anyone has used to get your lures and bait deep without a downrigger. I will be in the Okanagan next week and I hope to target trout and possibly spring salmon on Mabel Lake. My kayak is motor and peddle free so I will be paddling. Anyone tried a dipsy diver or a longliner? Any other devices worth looking at?

Tim

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
Re: Getting down deep without a downrigger
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:50:55 pm »
i`ve used dipsy`s and pink ladys (very deep variation on a dipsy) but i prefer jet divers. they float, so if you are using a floating crank for instance, if you stop or take a tight turn trolling your gear floats up and doesn`t get stuck on the bottom. most let you select the depth around a set range while others are just one depth. the jet divers work well sinking gear too.

using the combination of a side planer and a dipsy or jet diver lets you sneak along outside of your target track and still work a close to set depth. the dipsys move a bit and can also be set to pull to one side or the other, letting you get even further from the line you are paddling along.

i would choose based on structure and how varied the bottom is, if you know it, secondly on cost. those jet divers save you money, however i found the hard way they don`t like some other plastics, so keep that in mind when you have them in the tackle box or storing them.

a mini troll is another option, something i have (thanks cka :)) but i haven`t had a chance to play with enough yet. struture is definately a thing to keep in mind with these.

using a texas, carolina or just a big split shot set up/rig is a simple, not terribley accurate set up i have used often, mostly when i want to tap the bottom or just get down a little deeper. not for every spot or situation, i won`t use it in drinking resevoirs for instance, but it`s fast and cheap. the more line out, the deeper it gets of course, and i also work this as slow as possible.
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Offline kayakman

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:50:37 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I am going to look for jet drivers and try them out.

Tim

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 03:35:45 pm »
I've tried Dispeys from a yak, pull pretty hard for paddle power.
Torpedos are meant to be better, less drag but haven't tried.
Deep diving cranks like TDD-11s and reef runner 800's go 30' down with enough line out
( 130' of 12 lb floro ), and are manageable paddling from a yak, can also attach a spoon,
off a 3-way swievel, allowed in BC ?
Personally I like lead core to get lures 30-50 down, really don't want to go deeper.
The 18 lb LC rod out fished other rods for walleye while fishing for suspended eyes last year
over 150 fow. Something on how cranks or spoons move behind lead core.  :)
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline revd-up

• Greenhorn
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 07:05:55 pm »
I run a Scotty lake troll downrigger off one side of the kayak and frequently run a deep six or double deep six off of the other side. I've got sockeye, bull trout and rainbows off of both set-ups. The challenge that I've had with divers is dialing into the right depth. It's certainly easier with the downrigger. I don't think the charts that they provide for most divers are very accurate. I usually use a line-counter reel or color coded line to determine how much line I have out. If I'm picking up fish on the ff at 50'  I'll paddle in to 50' of water and let line out on the deep six line while trolling at my preferred speed, once my diver hits the bottom I note the amount of line out to reach that depth. It's not pretty but it seems to work. 

They often use big flashers on Mabel so moving to a smaller flasher like an agitator can reduce some of the drag, I also really like Shasta sling blade dodgers instead of flashers they work well with allot less drag. Best of luck!

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 03:18:32 pm »
Bump for PPaauullooooo.   ;D
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 04:43:44 pm »
Thanks, some good info there.

Tags: